U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Zealand or Tasmania?
New Zealand 30 76.92%
Tasmania 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeko View Post
NZ - definitely not warm, especially on the South Island - houses are poorly built and for the most part uninsulated. There is no central heating here, most people use woodburning stoves or space heaters. The damp makes mold flourish. Asthma and allergies are prevalent, and 1600 more people die each year in winter than summer. NZ'ers as a whole don't seem to be concerned about the cold houses, even though it's something mentioned by most immigrants as misery-inducing, and most houses fall below WHO standards for internal temperature.

Earthquakes are no more an issue than in California, probably much less of an issue since there is so little infrastructure here and relatively few buildings are more than 2 stories. North Island seems to have had more than South Island recently, but the country is small, so a big one may affect both islands.

NZ has a high cost of living, low salaries and high taxes compared to Australia as a whole. Don't know about comparisons to Tasmania specifically. 40,000 NZ'ers migrate to Australia each year in search of a better standard of living. (You wonder why the NZ government is recruiting skilled immigrants - that's why. They can't keep their own people from fleeing en masse.)

Organic and local food not as available in the US, although many people do have vegetable gardens and fruit trees, so you can grow your own.

Christians and gun owners - NZ has both of those, although they are not as vocal as in the US.

Spiders - depends on your area. I would assume South Island has fewer than North Island, just because of climate differences.

NZ vs. Australia, as far as culture... They share a lot of similarities. They are different, but I can't put my finger on exactly how. NZ'ers simultaneously very smug and very insecure. There is a definite undercurrent of xenophobia here - the Kiwi way is good, anything foreign is suspect. This makes any kind of progress slow. Quality standards are low, no one seems to want things to be better. This is very different from American or Canadian sensibilities and can be very frustrating.

If you were to move to NZ, you'd find your standard of living precipitously drop. It's not entirely a first world country here. I would not encourage any North American to move here unless they had no other choice. There are plenty of places in the US you can go and find what you're seeking from NZ. Don't fall for the 100% Pure New Zealand marketing or Lord of the Rings BS - the NZ government is trying to sell a certain image of its country so that wealthy overseas visitors/migrants will come spend their money here. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live here...

Signed,

An American who has lived in NZ for three years

total BS!. wow i wonder what happend to this poor guy..... he's way off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 PM

1,740 posts, read 2,965,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhomegrown View Post
total BS!. wow i wonder what happend to this poor guy..... he's way off
Thanks for your contribution. NZ has been a place of interest to me for many years, and I am growing tired of the socialization of the USA.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,825,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemahler View Post
I choose it because of the climate and it's natural beauty. Also the cost of living is less than average.

My wife and I currently own a nail salon that we both manage. She does nails at the salon as well.

After looking into it it seems to difficult to migrate at this stage in our lives.

Very expensive and difficult.

Thanks.
I take it you are middle aged how did you get into Australia if you ended up running a nail salon ?
It is hardly likely they were looking for immigrants to run nail salons.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:04 AM

24,683 posts, read 44,091,584 times
Someone mentioned Launceston. My aunty lives there and it's a very lovely small city. Hobart is too, though. As for it being a bit warmer: not the case in winter when there are frosts most mornings and a few snowfalls, although it has more of a decent summer.

I actually think I'd move to Tassie too...Oz is a better country to live in, and Tas has great natural scenery. NZ is nice too but the standard of living is lower.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 AM

15 posts, read 36,837 times
I don't think you should rule out moving to a country because of what one poster says! At least visit both places before ruling one over the other. New Zealand does get cold but we do have insulated houses now you know!

New Zealand is not exactly a first world country? What a joke! Generally the British visit and fall in love with the countryside and the people, the Americans like the views but are bothered by the lack of customer service and how boring it is here.

It is not a very religious country but people arn't bothered by each others beliefs, it is one of those things that you take people for who they are and not what they are.

I haven't been to Tasmania, but think you should visit both places before making a final decision if you can. If you can't stand the cold then this country is most likely not for you unless you move to the 'winterless' north.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 184 times
Dont listen to some of the comments here they are way off! it all depends where you live, you cannot make a judgement on the over all country if you have only lived in one town!
Pukeko, that was not my experience at all living in NZ...I dont know where you lived, but it must have been the dodgiest suburb in your town and every country has one of those. NZ is a great place and very advanced over Australia in many areas, but then Oz is over NZ, both come out equally, both have their beauties and there are NO big spiders in NZ at all.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM

16,586 posts, read 12,983,118 times
NZ for me - other than NZ being home, skiing would be the next biggest factor for me. Tasmania doesn't really have any skiing.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 AM

556 posts, read 196,677 times
This thread is nearly ten years old and actually the economic fortune of Tasmania has improved considerably in those years. I think the same may be true for New Zealand.

There are many threads from people on this site who supposedly suddenly think of immigrating to various places but have done almost research as to whether it is possible. Very often they would have no hope of gaining permanent entry at least to Australia and have not spent any time on the relevant government websites. They hopefully get some information to help them and probably forget all about it a couple of days later!

For example, a shooter who wishes to live in Tassie must know almost nothing of the history of our gun laws. A person who wants warm weather and thinks of South Isand NZ has done little homework.

However it is interesting to see what perceptions people have from afar.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM

9,976 posts, read 11,373,482 times
NZ for a wider variety of everything compared to Tasmania. This has to do with a larger population as well as a larger and more geographically diverse landmass.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,253,231 times
NZ easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand