U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Zealand or Tasmania?
New Zealand 31 77.50%
Tasmania 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM

16,598 posts, read 12,993,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
This thread is nearly ten years old and actually the economic fortune of Tasmania has improved considerably in those years. I think the same may be true for New Zealand.

There are many threads from people on this site who supposedly suddenly think of immigrating to various places but have done almost research as to whether it is possible. Very often they would have no hope of gaining permanent entry at least to Australia and have not spent any time on the relevant government websites. They hopefully get some information to help them and probably forget all about it a couple of days later!

For example, a shooter who wishes to live in Tassie must know almost nothing of the history of our gun laws. A person who wants warm weather and thinks of South Isand NZ has done little homework.

However it is interesting to see what perceptions people have from afar.
Warm weather means neither hot, nor cold - I would say my South Island location has warm weather on most days of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM

505 posts, read 1,243,858 times
New Zealand only has one venomous animal...a spider that is very rare and from my understanding, it has a limited range and is found mostly on a certain type of beach grass that is local to New Zealand. They do have anti venom on hand for that spider but honestly the last time the spider nailed someone was 20 years ago and that person ended up being ok. Australia on the other hand...has a lot!

Now I do want to visit both countries since I have friends there. The main problem is finding jobs. House prices are rather high in NZ...average house is $400k but with the bigger cities, the prices go up to high as $1 million. Rural areas tend to have lower cost acreage/properties from what I understand. Houses tend to be somewhat cheaper on South Island the further away from Christchurch you go....

Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM

A few more things. Australia has a cut off age for immigration..same thing with New Zealand. For Australia, they will typically not allow you to immigrate if you're over age 50. For New Zealand, I think the age is higher. I believe age 55. In Australia, you get points if you're under the age of 30. The more older you get the more points you get deducted. I have no idea whether you can retire and purchase property in either country to live in like you can in parts of Europe.

As for houses being poorly insulated, well...I found out that the NZ government had to make sure the landlords fully insulate their houses before renting them out back in the late 1990's or later. It's still an ongoing process because apparently it's expensive to do that for some reason? If you get a house for cheap to buy, investigate to see if it has been insulated properly and if not, there's a reason for the cheap price. My recommendation is to rent before buying any property in NZ. That way you get to know the area and if your business doesn't do well, you can pull up and relocate. Auckland has the highest property prices/rentals.

If you're interested in Australia, you could consider other areas of Australia that would have more business than Tasmania, honestly.

Now I'm curious! Were you able to make a decision on any moves to NZ or Australia? :-)

Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM

16,598 posts, read 12,993,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
A few more things. Australia has a cut off age for immigration..same thing with New Zealand. For Australia, they will typically not allow you to immigrate if you're over age 50. For New Zealand, I think the age is higher. I believe age 55. In Australia, you get points if you're under the age of 30. The more older you get the more points you get deducted. I have no idea whether you can retire and purchase property in either country to live in like you can in parts of Europe.

As for houses being poorly insulated, well...I found out that the NZ government had to make sure the landlords fully insulate their houses before renting them out back in the late 1990's or later. It's still an ongoing process because apparently it's expensive to do that for some reason? If you get a house for cheap to buy, investigate to see if it has been insulated properly and if not, there's a reason for the cheap price. My recommendation is to rent before buying any property in NZ. That way you get to know the area and if your business doesn't do well, you can pull up and relocate. Auckland has the highest property prices/rentals.

If you're interested in Australia, you could consider other areas of Australia that would have more business than Tasmania, honestly.

Now I'm curious! Were you able to make a decision on any moves to NZ or Australia? :-)
It's because many landlords aren't "true" investors, but just speculators looking for capital gain, or lazy investors just using a formula based on existing capital. "True" investors have a different mind set, and understand that the investing doesn't end when the property is purchased.

I do plenty of insulation jobs where the inside of external walls are stripped, new wiring/plugs if needed, new insulation, new plasterboard, plastered and painted - about $8000 -$10000. That's not a lot of money on a property valued at $350000 plus, and grossing around $20000 - $25000 in income on a tax deductible asset. Bad landlords don't see that, and cry hardship, where none exists.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-21-2019 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 03:25 PM

I had to insulate the garage in my house and it was an interesting experience. Installing it was no problem (used the pink staple on insulation) but drywalling was done (I've done dry wall stuff multiple times but the company that I used to work for always hired the other people to do a tape and float) and I'm learning somewhat how to do tape and float. I had to put a stop on that after putting the first float and sanding it due to weather......

Old 01-30-2019, 02:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 4,467,449 times
I've always wondered what it would be like to live in Tasmania?

I met a husband and wife from Tasmania at SFO airport when I was waiting for a flight. They loved Tasmania and spoke of it as it were a very nice place to live. Very organic type of living.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:53 AM

562 posts, read 198,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I met a husband and wife from Tasmania at SFO airport when I was waiting for a flight. They loved Tasmania and spoke of it as it were a very nice place to live. Very organic type of living.
Unfortunately you would not want to be there right at this time. There are massive bush fires raging across the state. There is very heavy smoke in the state capital, Hobart, from fires to the south and the weather has been extremely hot by their standards.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 4,467,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Unfortunately you would not want to be there right at this time. There are massive bush fires raging across the state. There is very heavy smoke in the state capital, Hobart, from fires to the south and the weather has been extremely hot by their standards.
I'm so sorry to hear this! We in CA have just gone through the same experience.

I know there are as many climate change deniers in OZ as the US has but I am well aware that this has been one of the hottest months on record.

Sorry guys.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:30 PM

562 posts, read 198,748 times
Yes, it seems that it is now official that January was the hottest month overall in Australia ever recorded. Thankfully it is nice and cool in Sydney today but I was just reading there are many alerts and problems expected for Tassie this coming week.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,070,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Unemployment is high, educational attainment is low, the population is generally "poor" when compared to the rest of Australia. Tasmania ranks lowest on most socio-economic markers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand