Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Zealand or Tasmania?
New Zealand 37 80.43%
Tasmania 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 PM

21 posts, read 104,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
To be honest I find people's comments about spiders a little amusing. I mean fellow Aussies how many people do you know who have been bitten by a spider? I lived there for 39 years in Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin and Melbourne and I don't know anyone. I just don't think it's an issue. I mean you are much much more likely to be assaulted by another human being than a spider.

As far as economy goes it might depend on what sort of work you do? Australia generally has a high standard of living but I find certain occupations pay better in certain parts of the world.

You might want to also consider Launceston. A really lovely town on the north coast of Tassie. Slightly warmer than Hobart. They're both nice little cities though.
The only reason I ask about spiders is because my mom hates them and she might be moving with us.

I couldn't find it when I checked it up but I thought there was a problem with air quality in Launceston. Maybe is was a different city but I am pretty sure it was the north west area of the state.

Does anyone know how warm/cold the water is most of the year? Is it nice to swim in?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemahler View Post
The only reason I ask about spiders is because my mom hates them and she might be moving with us.

I couldn't find it when I checked it up but I thought there was a problem with air quality in Launceston. Maybe is was a different city but I am pretty sure it was the north west area of the state.

Does anyone know how warm/cold the water is most of the year? Is it nice to swim in?Thanks.
In New Zealand the average water temperatures range from 12 degrees Celsius / 54 Fahrenheit in the winter to 22 degrees Celsius / 72 Fahrenheit in the summer.

The strong UV with the sun overhere makes it nice to swim in during the summer.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:07 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,939,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemahler View Post

Does anyone know how warm/cold the water is most of the year? Is it nice to swim in?

Thanks.
It's just that there's alot of misinformation and Fearmongering out there, About Australia's Deadly creatures. So Australian's may choose to counter act this? By assuring visitors, That what they may believe as truth?... Actually Isn't!

Your Mum (Mom ) really needn't worry too much, As she will probably rarely see any spiders at all?

Unfortunately yes, Launceston does have somewhat of an air quality issue. Air currents in the Tamar Valley Spread smoke across the city, From the large Timber mill nearby.
Also, Many people still fire up wood heaters during the winter, Which adds to the problem! Even Though that states government, Has created various incentives In order to combat it.

Winter Sea Mean Temp 10-12 Deg C (50-53 Deg F)
Summer Sea Mean Temp 18-20 Deg C (64-68 Deg F)

(Taken from the Tasmanian Department of Environment website.)
Climate - About Tasmania's Coastline - Environment Division - Department of Environment, Parks, Heritage and the Arts (http://www.environment.tas.gov.au/cm_atc_climate.html - broken link)

Also, You asked whether the Tasmanian capital of Hobart!, Was seasonal?..No, It's not. The port city does serve the comings and goings, Of the Australian Antartic expeditions and the local tourist industry. But also industries, Like Mining, Agriculture, Timber...etc, Also use the port aswell.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 08-14-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 02:20 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Im curious... why exactly did you select Tassie? Don't get me wrong, I love Tassie (esp. Tassie cheese).

And what kind of work do you do?

There are other states in Oz and each one should have an immigration web site where you can see if your profession is on a skills shortage list.

and I agree about the fearmongering about Aussie spiders.. pretty much it was a non-issue when I lived there. I did see one ugly spider and I had a friend from Uni check it and it was harmless... I left it alone as it was eating mossies... I'd rather have a spider than a mossie

Old 09-22-2008, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 104,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Im curious... why exactly did you select Tassie? Don't get me wrong, I love Tassie (esp. Tassie cheese).

And what kind of work do you do?

There are other states in Oz and each one should have an immigration web site where you can see if your profession is on a skills shortage list.
I choose it because of the climate and it's natural beauty. Also the cost of living is less than average.

My wife and I currently own a nail salon that we both manage. She does nails at the salon as well.

After looking into it it seems to difficult to migrate at this stage in our lives.

Very expensive and difficult.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeko View Post
NZ - definitely not warm, especially on the South Island - houses are poorly built and for the most part uninsulated. There is no central heating here, most people use woodburning stoves or space heaters. The damp makes mold flourish. Asthma and allergies are prevalent, and 1600 more people die each year in winter than summer. NZ'ers as a whole don't seem to be concerned about the cold houses, even though it's something mentioned by most immigrants as misery-inducing, and most houses fall below WHO standards for internal temperature.

Earthquakes are no more an issue than in California, probably much less of an issue since there is so little infrastructure here and relatively few buildings are more than 2 stories. North Island seems to have had more than South Island recently, but the country is small, so a big one may affect both islands.

NZ has a high cost of living, low salaries and high taxes compared to Australia as a whole. Don't know about comparisons to Tasmania specifically. 40,000 NZ'ers migrate to Australia each year in search of a better standard of living. (You wonder why the NZ government is recruiting skilled immigrants - that's why. They can't keep their own people from fleeing en masse.)

Organic and local food not as available in the US, although many people do have vegetable gardens and fruit trees, so you can grow your own.

Christians and gun owners - NZ has both of those, although they are not as vocal as in the US.

Spiders - depends on your area. I would assume South Island has fewer than North Island, just because of climate differences.

NZ vs. Australia, as far as culture... They share a lot of similarities. They are different, but I can't put my finger on exactly how. NZ'ers simultaneously very smug and very insecure. There is a definite undercurrent of xenophobia here - the Kiwi way is good, anything foreign is suspect. This makes any kind of progress slow. Quality standards are low, no one seems to want things to be better. This is very different from American or Canadian sensibilities and can be very frustrating.

If you were to move to NZ, you'd find your standard of living precipitously drop. It's not entirely a first world country here. I would not encourage any North American to move here unless they had no other choice. There are plenty of places in the US you can go and find what you're seeking from NZ. Don't fall for the 100% Pure New Zealand marketing or Lord of the Rings BS - the NZ government is trying to sell a certain image of its country so that wealthy overseas visitors/migrants will come spend their money here. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live here...

Signed,

An American who has lived in NZ for three years
Pukeko's post needs a little rebuttal. Firstly, OLDER NZ houses have a deserved reputation for being miserable, cold and damp in winter. But this has changed in recent decades as modern insulated double-glazed houses with efficient modern heating systems have become the norm. There is no doubt that Pukeko's problems are about, but it cannot no longer stand as a generalisation about NZ houses. He should pop around to my 7 year old town-house on a cold winter's night to see the difference.

Summers up and down the country range from very hot (Central Otago) to hot (Canterbury/East Coast) to sub-tropical (Northland). South Island winters are cold, but a Canadian would laugh in the face of our worst winter weather.

Spiders are found everywhere, but they're nearly all small and unobtrusive. The wages are lower than many developed countries, but so are the costs of living. I nearly doubled my wages by moving to Perth but couldn't make much headway thanks to increased living costs, so I made my way back home to Christchurch where I have a much nicer house in a much nicer suburb than I could afford in WA, even though week-to-week we struggle a bit more to keep the bills paid.

Tassie's great, but NZ offers a whole lot more to see and do. You might even get to sit through one of our infamous earthquakes.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogchook View Post
Pukeko's post needs a little rebuttal. Firstly, OLDER NZ houses have a deserved reputation for being miserable, cold and damp in winter. But this has changed in recent decades as modern insulated double-glazed houses with efficient modern heating systems have become the norm. There is no doubt that Pukeko's problems are about, but it cannot no longer stand as a generalisation about NZ houses. He should pop around to my 7 year old town-house on a cold winter's night to see the difference.

Summers up and down the country range from very hot (Central Otago) to hot (Canterbury/East Coast) to sub-tropical (Northland). South Island winters are cold, but a Canadian would laugh in the face of our worst winter weather.
Spiders are found everywhere, but they're nearly all small and unobtrusive. The wages are lower than many developed countries, but so are the costs of living. I nearly doubled my wages by moving to Perth but couldn't make much headway thanks to increased living costs, so I made my way back home to Christchurch where I have a much nicer house in a much nicer suburb than I could afford in WA, even though week-to-week we struggle a bit more to keep the bills paid.

Tassie's great, but NZ offers a whole lot more to see and do. You might even get to sit through one of our infamous earthquakes.
Agree with you 100% there, people don't think it ever gets hot here in New Zealand. The averages in Central Otago and Canterbury don't really do justice, its usually very hot there in Central Otago in the summer, well warmer than the averages sugguest.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,561,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterope View Post
Gun ownership in Australia, and ESPECIALLY Tasmania... calling it a sensetive topic is a bit of an understatement. I suggest you research into the Port Arthur Massacre... Most people are still pretty shocked and sensetive about it. Automatic and Semi-Automatic weapons are illegal in Australia and all guns must be registered. Farmers would be the predominant users of weapons/shotguns in this country. They keep a pretty good reign on weaponry around here. If you believe it is your right to bear arms then Tassie may not be the friendliest move for you.

As for somewhere warm... Choose the northern island of New Zealand if those are your only 2 choices; Tasmania is not exactly what you would call balmy.
Neither is NZ... if you are looking for warmth may I suggest moving a little closer to the equator.
How is that in comparison to Perth just wondering? What are gun ownership laws in Australia for an American?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,939,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
How is that in comparison to Perth just wondering? What are gun ownership laws in Australia for an American?
All Australian States and Territories, Are part of the 1996 National Agreement on Firearms (NAF). Which Aligned State gun laws and Brought them under a Federal Framework.

I would be guessing, That once you became an Australian citizen (Or permanent resident?) You would also be under the same gun laws. Basically, Unless you can give a decent reason (Farmer, Accredited Rifle/Shooters Club Member etc..) It's actually quite difficult to get a gun licence.

Stating the 2nd Amendment, Is not be an acceptable reason!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 AM

790 posts, read 1,727,165 times
Quote:
if you really love your guns, then Australia's not the place for you, i'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand