U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Zealand or Tasmania?
New Zealand 22 75.86%
Tasmania 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 AM

21 posts, read 86,668 times

Advertisements

About me (concerning the poll question):
I am a fan of liberties including gun ownership. I am a Christian that enjoys outdoor living including kayaking, mountain climbing, hiking... I want a low cost of living, warm climate and beautiful atmosphere. I am also into organic and local foods.

I am considering moving to one or the other and had a few questions I couldn't find the answers to.

Which country is easier to obtain a Visa and/or citizenship?

Is there a way to compare true cost of living from one place to the other (including average income, taxes...)?

Are the earthquakes in New Zealand really and issue? Is there a list of areas that tend to get less then others?

Both places have large spiders (compared to where I live) but are they commonly seen in the suburbs and cities?

How do the cultures differ?

Any other information in this regard would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,254,061 times
Both countries are realitively similar culture wise, However there are some differences;

* Slightly different accents. The Kiwi accent utilises more clipped "short" vowels. Compared to the slightly elongated vowels, Apparent in the Aussie accent

* New Zealand plays Rugby, Rather than Australian Rules Football (Except for the Aussie Rugby playing states of NSW and QLD)..Both of our countries play Cricket, Soccer, Tennis etc...

* The New Zealand Army, Wears a different coloured uniform and different slouch hat, Known as a "Lemon Squeezer". Which is worn with the brim down and is pointed on top, Rather than the flatter Australian Army Slouch hat, Which has the Right side brim upturned..ANZAC Day is celebrated in both countries, As it stands for "Australia, New Zealand Army Corp".

* Kiwi's Prefer Marmite, Rather than Vegemite. (Silly People )

* Kiwi's celebrate Feburay 6th "Waitangi day", Which marks the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, Which gave British citizenship rights to Maori people and made NZ part of the British Empire.
Aussie's on the other hand, Celebrate January 26th "Australia Day", Which marks the Foundation of the first British Penal colony at Sydney Cove, Port Jackson.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 08-11-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM

200 posts, read 932,505 times
Both beautiful places. Don't know if I'd consider either if you're looking for somewhere warm. It depends where you're coming from I guess. Both have a very English type climate. I think New Zealand's probably easier to get a visa. I could be wrong but I'm constantly told that Australia is the hardest country in the world to which to emigrate. Gun ownership could be a sensitive topic in Tasmania.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM

62 posts, read 344,186 times
NZ - definitely not warm, especially on the South Island - houses are poorly built and for the most part uninsulated. There is no central heating here, most people use woodburning stoves or space heaters. The damp makes mold flourish. Asthma and allergies are prevalent, and 1600 more people die each year in winter than summer. NZ'ers as a whole don't seem to be concerned about the cold houses, even though it's something mentioned by most immigrants as misery-inducing, and most houses fall below WHO standards for internal temperature.

Earthquakes are no more an issue than in California, probably much less of an issue since there is so little infrastructure here and relatively few buildings are more than 2 stories. North Island seems to have had more than South Island recently, but the country is small, so a big one may affect both islands.

NZ has a high cost of living, low salaries and high taxes compared to Australia as a whole. Don't know about comparisons to Tasmania specifically. 40,000 NZ'ers migrate to Australia each year in search of a better standard of living. (You wonder why the NZ government is recruiting skilled immigrants - that's why. They can't keep their own people from fleeing en masse.)

Organic and local food not as available in the US, although many people do have vegetable gardens and fruit trees, so you can grow your own.

Christians and gun owners - NZ has both of those, although they are not as vocal as in the US.

Spiders - depends on your area. I would assume South Island has fewer than North Island, just because of climate differences.

NZ vs. Australia, as far as culture... They share a lot of similarities. They are different, but I can't put my finger on exactly how. NZ'ers simultaneously very smug and very insecure. There is a definite undercurrent of xenophobia here - the Kiwi way is good, anything foreign is suspect. This makes any kind of progress slow. Quality standards are low, no one seems to want things to be better. This is very different from American or Canadian sensibilities and can be very frustrating.

If you were to move to NZ, you'd find your standard of living precipitously drop. It's not entirely a first world country here. I would not encourage any North American to move here unless they had no other choice. There are plenty of places in the US you can go and find what you're seeking from NZ. Don't fall for the 100% Pure New Zealand marketing or Lord of the Rings BS - the NZ government is trying to sell a certain image of its country so that wealthy overseas visitors/migrants will come spend their money here. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live here...

Signed,

An American who has lived in NZ for three years

Last edited by pukeko; 08-11-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,743,085 times
Parts of the South Island can be very warm in the summer, Central Otago an awesome place in summer, can get very warm, the good thing about the South Island is that there is a variation in climate.

Earthquakes are always an issue but you forget about them after a while, Southland,Central Otago and Fiordland often get rattled but you don't feel them unless they are over 5.0.

Spiders, I had the things but I don't often see too many around, you get big ones occasionally but there are very few posionus spiders in NZ, you'll probaly have to worry about wetas more, they jump but are harmful.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 AM

3,912 posts, read 10,219,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
I could be wrong but I'm constantly told that Australia is the hardest country in the world to which to emigrate. Gun ownership could be a sensitive topic in Tasmania.
Actually, I would say that maybe the old Soviet Union or maybe the old East Germany would have been the hardest place in the world from which to emigrate. They actually built a wall to keep people in!

As for the hardest place to immigrate, maybe that would be the US or China. We've both built walls to keep people out!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 8,531 times
Quote:
Gun ownership could be a sensitive topic in Tasmania.
Gun ownership in Australia, and ESPECIALLY Tasmania... calling it a sensetive topic is a bit of an understatement. I suggest you research into the Port Arthur Massacre... Most people are still pretty shocked and sensetive about it. Automatic and Semi-Automatic weapons are illegal in Australia and all guns must be registered. Farmers would be the predominant users of weapons/shotguns in this country. They keep a pretty good reign on weaponry around here. If you believe it is your right to bear arms then Tassie may not be the friendliest move for you.

As for somewhere warm... Choose the northern island of New Zealand if those are your only 2 choices; Tasmania is not exactly what you would call balmy.
Neither is NZ... if you are looking for warmth may I suggest moving a little closer to the equator.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 AM

21 posts, read 86,668 times
Well as long as guns are not completely restricted I would be ok with that. Right now I live in New England and I just want something warmer then here.

It is warm enough to swim in the ocean more then 2 months out of the year?

The winters are more mild in Tasmania according to Wikipedia.

pukeko's post has essentially ruled out New Zealand for me.

I have seen more pictures of Tasmania lately and it is almost as beautiful as New Zealand.

Does anyone know if large spiders are common in and around Hobart?

Also I wanted to know if the Hobart economy is consistent through out the year or if is it very seasonal? I am from Cape Cod where it seems we only get business in the summer.

Is there a website that can compare international cities that would include average income, housing, cost of living type statistics?

Thanks again. Your posts are very helpful.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM

200 posts, read 932,505 times
To be honest I find people's comments about spiders a little amusing. I mean fellow Aussies how many people do you know who have been bitten by a spider? I lived there for 39 years in Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin and Melbourne and I don't know anyone. I just don't think it's an issue. I mean you are much much more likely to be assaulted by another human being than a spider.

As far as economy goes it might depend on what sort of work you do? Australia generally has a high standard of living but I find certain occupations pay better in certain parts of the world.

You might want to also consider Launceston. A really lovely town on the north coast of Tassie. Slightly warmer than Hobart. They're both nice little cities though.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,743,085 times
Quote:
To be honest I find people's comments about spiders a little amusing. I mean fellow Aussies how many people do you know who have been bitten by a spider? I lived there for 39 years in Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin and Melbourne and I don't know anyone. I just don't think it's an issue. I mean you are much much more likely to be assaulted by another human being than a spider.
As far as economy goes it might depend on what sort of work you do? Australia generally has a high standard of living but I find certain occupations pay better in certain parts of the world.

You might want to also consider Launceston. A really lovely town on the north coast of Tassie. Slightly warmer than Hobart. They're both nice little cities though.

Yes I agree, here over in New Zealand we have a few posionus spiders but you rarely ever see them, they're a non-worry really, the best bet is that you'll find them in the garden overhere but theres a big chance you will not get bitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand