Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 AM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times

Advertisements

I have long been interested - and saddened - about the Aborigines of Australia. I recently re-watched Rabbit Proof Fence, which I first saw in 2004. A truly disturbing film based on a true story about "half-breed" children that were stolen from their parents by the Australian government up until 1970 or so.

I have been to Australia twice: the second time to spend more time in the interior and learn more about the Aboriginals. It was truly saddening - the poverty, discrimination, alcoholism. Not much unlike what has happened amongst the Native Americans in the US. Like the Native Americans, I think they are a beautiful group of people.

I met a group of 20-somethings in Darwin and asked them what they thought about the Abos. "We hate them," they replied.

Curious to hear other thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I am not Australian but I too find their situation desperately sad. They were until the 60s classified under the "flora and fauna" portfolio until 1967 by the authorities. 1967 ! That is truly shocking and the mind boggles.

Like the Native Americans their population suffers the most from alcoholism, high infant mortality, poor living conditions, low life expectancy etc...

Most Australians I know do not really think about the issue much I have to say . They tend to ignore the Aborigines and I have definitely noticed a certain arrogance towards them because they do not fit the mould of what an "Australian " is supposed to be like ( whatever that means).

There has been some moves made in terms of land rights but it will take a long time to redress what I see as one of the great injustices towards Native people.

Sadly far too common a story for tribes displaced or dispossessed by colonialism all over the world.

One of exploitation, racism and a downwards spiral into poverty, ill health, disease, and social exclusion.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
I live in a small rural town, In Western Australia (Where this happened!), Which is not all that far away, From a southern section of "The Fence". I also know a few aboriginal people in the area, Fairly well and have never had a problem with them..

I have no "hate" at all towards them. Though, I don't wish for people from other countries, To personally blame all White-Australian's. For what narrow-minded policies, Previous governments have put in place, To help Aboriginal people. As many of us, Are well aware of the issues, That Face aboriginal people and do feel quite ashamed about it all.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-16-2008 at 04:22 AM..

Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I live in a small rural town, In Western Australia (Where this happened!), Which is not all that far away, From a southern section of "The Fence". I also know a few aboriginal people in the area, Fairly well and have never had a problem with them..

I have no "hate" at all towards them. Though, I don't wish for people from other countries, To personally blame all White-Australian's. For what narrow-minded policies, Previous governments have put in place, To help Aboriginal people. As many of us, Are well aware of the issues, That Face aboriginal people and do feel quite ashamed about it all.

I agree that past administrations and policies have been responsible for the state of Aboriginal issues nowadays and I don't think blame can be apportioned to modern Australians for past misdeeds.
However I do still feel quite a residual racism from many Australians ( in the UK anyway as I have never been to Australia) towards Aborigines which is such a terrible shame in my opinion.

Colonialism for all its rights and wrongs has been responsible for the social inequities faced by Aborigines and we need to redress the balance a bit.

What do you think of Kevin Rudd as Prime Minister by the way, do you think his policies will benefit Aborigines ?
He has made a lot or promises to narrow the social gap and redress the balance but do you think he will succeed ?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I have long been interested - and saddened - about the Aborigines of Australia. I recently re-watched Rabbit Proof Fence, which I first saw in 2004. A truly disturbing film based on a true story about "half-breed" children that were stolen from their parents by the Australian government up until 1970 or so.

I have been to Australia twice: the second time to spend more time in the interior and learn more about the Aboriginals. It was truly saddening - the poverty, discrimination, alcoholism. Not much unlike what has happened amongst the Native Americans in the US. Like the Native Americans, I think they are a beautiful group of people.

I met a group of 20-somethings in Darwin and asked them what they thought about the Abos. "We hate them," they replied.

Curious to hear other thoughts.
I saw the movie as well. The genocide and breeding out of darker skin and aboriginal traditions and language first came to my attention back around the late 1970s or early 1980s on a "60 Minutes" segment on the involvement of the "World Council of Churches" and their involvement supporting this genocide in Australia, gun running for some of their "Liberation Theology" programs in Africa and South America. This actually was brought out by a Baptist Minister who refused to pay his Church Congregation's dues to that organization when he found out what they were doing with the monies they received.

Of all the peoples and organizations that should have known better than this, the W.C.C.'s is the poorest excuse. They should have known better than that. I believe the Movie also touched on some of that.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,358 times
I'm not proud of my country's history re the Aboriginal people. However I have also been to Indian reservations in Arizona and New Mexico. Anywhere where there has been European colonization there's a pretty poor record of treatment of the indigenous people.

I don't want to get too political but I think the recent apology by the Australian government was long overdue. I know current generations are not responsible for past sins but the Australian government were responsible and it was therefore appropriate for the Australian government to acknowledge what's happened. It's important to note that this was supported by 70% of Australians.

But that's only the beginning. Disparities in health, living standards and life expectancy need to be addressed. At the same time the Aboriginal community need to take some responability as well. One thing I will say is that Government on both sides of the political have thrown a lot of money around in recent years but this alone isn't going to achieve anything.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree that past administrations and policies have been responsible for the state of Aboriginal issues nowadays and I don't think blame can be apportioned to modern Australians for past misdeeds.
However I do still feel quite a residual racism from many Australians ( in the UK anyway as I have never been to Australia) towards Aborigines which is such a terrible shame in my opinion.

Colonialism for all its rights and wrongs has been responsible for the social inequities faced by Aborigines and we need to redress the balance a bit.

What do you think of Kevin Rudd as Prime Minister by the way, do you think his policies will benefit Aborigines ?
He has made a lot or promises to narrow the social gap and redress the balance but do you think he will succeed ?
It's just, That people shouldn't be so quick, To point their finger at White-Australians, When many of us, Have never supported these sorts of heavy-handed policies!

Colonialism has indeed left some very ugly scars, On Australian society and racism is one of them. However, The gap between aboriginal and white is being bridged. But!, Unfortunately!, It has been a very slow process. With "Sorry" day and the PM's apology speech, Only being the tip of the iceberg thus far.

I really don't know. If Kevin Rudd, Will actually be able to carry out, All of his Reconciliation promises, But hopefully the balls properly rolling now?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-16-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,358 times
[quote=
He has made a lot or promises to narrow the social gap and redress the balance but do you think he will succeed ?[/quote]

I'm more encouraged by Rudd than I was about Howard which wouldn't be hard. Howard didn't want to know about the problem and basically did nothing. As Roo Farmer said it's not going to happen over night. It will be a long slow process.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
The best thing the Australian guvment can do is let the aborigines live on the land as they used to and not herd them into settlements.

I probably lived and worked with almost a 1000 young Australians from 1999-2006. Most felt the aborigines to be a problem and drag on society which to a certain element is true due to the Australian guvments determination to make them wards of the state rather than living as they want to.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Through the 1993 "Native Title" act, Many aboriginal nations, Actually have legal rights and access to their lands.

Sure, They're still partially bound by Australian law. As unlike "Indigenous land rights", It's not Government Granted ownership. It is however, A full legal represenation, Of the rights and laws of the title holders themselves. Allowing them to live on the land, Fish in the waters, Visit and use sacred sites etc..., It also allows wider consultation with aboriginal people, On things like Land use, Welfare and other sensitive issues.

Of course, It's not the best setup. But! It's a good start.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-16-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand