Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Can one live in Perth without a car? I was able to do it in Adelaide easily living by the centre. When I bought a car it was to go to wine country. I left it home during the week.
I suppose you could, with a bit of effort and careful choice of where you lived. Central would be the best, as in most cities. Definitely not if you chose outer suburbia, unless you were within walking distance of a shopping centre/district and a train station. Trains are good here, buses so-so. Inner suburbs like Leederville & Subi might be the best choices. Then you have to consider walking in the heat. Lugging groceries home in 40 degrees heat isn't my idea of easy living. A scooter could help with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
Quote:
Can one live in Perth without a car? I was able to do it in Adelaide easily living by the centre. When I bought a car it was to go to wine country. I left it home during the week.

Btw pretty much every new yorker has crossed the Hudson, I've never met anyone who hasn't.
Yes it is possible and we did so for the first year here. Don't really like burbs, for partly that reason,so always live inner city.
Here in Leederville don'y use a car often as if unable to walk it,use the train and normally cycle to work.

Saying all that though it should be remembered that Perth is said to be one of the most car dependant cities on earth. Totally the wrong place for the likes of somebody as myself who detests auto use.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:

Btw pretty much every new yorker has crossed the Hudson, I've never met anyone who hasn't.
Public transport is improving in Perth, and from what I've heard Perth would be among the better American cities. The thing is public transport only goes so far with the suburban setup we have. I could quite easily live in Perth without a car if I lived in the inner suburbs, CBD, or areas along the main train and bus lines. If I lived in say, Mindarie or Baldivis it would mean long walks, few and infrequent routes.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Public transport is improving in Perth, and from what I've heard Perth would be among the better American cities. The thing is public transport only goes so far with the suburban setup we have. I could quite easily live in Perth without a car if I lived in the inner suburbs, CBD, or areas along the main train and bus lines. If I lived in say, Mindarie or Baldivis it would mean long walks, few and infrequent routes.
Good to hear. From North Adelaide to the city we had city buses and a free shuttle service that brought you to the Central Market. We even had a solar powered bus that was quite quiet in operation. Once in Adelaide you had trams (to the beach at Glenelg), free buses that did loops as well as regular city buses that went to the suburbs. Adelaide even had an O-bahn, buses that went on a dedicated lane. So if I needed a car for the night, I'd go home and drive back in. But if I new I'd be having way too many Coopers, I'd just cab it home. so it was an easy city to navigate4 without a car.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,745 times
Quote:
Good to hear. From North Adelaide to the city we had city buses and a free shuttle service that brought you to the Central Market. We even had a solar powered bus that was quite quiet in operation. Once in Adelaide you had trams (to the beach at Glenelg), free buses that did loops as well as regular city buses that went to the suburbs. Adelaide even had an O-bahn, buses that went on a dedicated lane. So if I needed a car for the night, I'd go home and drive back in. But if I new I'd be having way too many Coopers, I'd just cab it home. so it was an easy city to navigate4 without a car.
A ""Coopers"", that brings back memories.
I can recall having a few with a couple of mates back in the early 90's, could quite easily get sick on it if you weren't careful - due to the high hops content.
Very hard to get now in NSW, as it is now very much a ""boutique beer"".
I assume it is an SA beer.
Going back to the original topic, I have only been to Adelaide once, back in the late 80's, and obviously only saw the city and took the tram out to Glenelg, as all the interstate tourists do.
Have spent a lot more time in Perth, though a lot of that time was not in the city itself, the opening up of rail to Mandurah would be the big thing now.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM

306 posts, read 135,762 times
Gotta say out of those three Adelaide, but over all i perfer melbourn!!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Even if public transport is well provided for in Adelaide I found the bus system/timetable a bit overwhelming/confusing as a first-time user. I find the Transperth system simpler to use. We had a dedicated bus lane on the freeway but that got replaced by the railway.

The Glenelg tram wasn't quite what I was expecting; rather than a tram that ran mostly among streets like in Melbourne, all it seemed to be was a slower train that ran on its own tracks isolated by everything else. Might as well have a train, really. Adelaide is really well-suited to trams as it's set up like Melbourne, so hopefully they bring them back on a larger scale.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
A ""Coopers"", that brings back memories.
I can recall having a few with a couple of mates back in the early 90's, could quite easily get sick on it if you weren't careful - due to the high hops content.
Very hard to get now in NSW, as it is now very much a ""boutique beer"".
I assume it is an SA beer.
Going back to the original topic, I have only been to Adelaide once, back in the late 80's, and obviously only saw the city and took the tram out to Glenelg, as all the interstate tourists do.
Have spent a lot more time in Perth, though a lot of that time was not in the city itself, the opening up of rail to Mandurah would be the big thing now.
Yup its the iconic SA beer. fortunately its easy to find in NY (I buy it in NJ for 1.25 a bottle), I've found it in Boston and a month ago the British Consulate served it at a fundraiser for Queensland. I did have to educated the yankee bartender on how to roll the bottle prior to opening. Good stuff. Funny Aussie wine and beer at times is cheaper in the US (and Canada) than back in Oz.. to turn this post into topic..I'd vote Adelaide.. great food, wine and beer. And enough artsy stuff in Adelaide to keep you entertained.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even if public transport is well provided for in Adelaide I found the bus system/timetable a bit overwhelming/confusing as a first-time user. I find the Transperth system simpler to use. We had a dedicated bus lane on the freeway but that got replaced by the railway.

The Glenelg tram wasn't quite what I was expecting; rather than a tram that ran mostly among streets like in Melbourne, all it seemed to be was a slower train that ran on its own tracks isolated by everything else. Might as well have a train, really. Adelaide is really well-suited to trams as it's set up like Melbourne, so hopefully they bring them back on a larger scale.
I did too until I called Transport Adelaide and told them where I lived and wanted to go and she told me what I needed. Once I got the hang of it.. it was easy peasy. You can say that any public transport system can be daunting at first but it becomes easier once you use it. I had trouble with NY's subway system and was scared at first.. a year later I was riding the subway at all hours of the day.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
Quote:
Yup its the iconic SA beer. fortunately its easy to find in NY (I buy it in NJ for 1.25 a bottle), I've found it in Boston and a month ago the British Consulate served it at a fundraiser for Queensland. I did have to educated the yankee bartender on how to roll the bottle prior to opening. Good stuff. Funny Aussie wine and beer at times is cheaper in the US (and Canada) than back in Oz.. to turn this post into topic..I'd vote Adelaide.. great food, wine and beer. And enough artsy stuff in Adelaide to keep you entertained.
I've missed you Mini, you always make me laff!
(Don't worry, I'm not hanging 'round this part of the forum, I just saw you posted and HAD to read it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand