U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 22,958 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Myself and my husband are two qualified professionals I am Irish and my Husband is English and we have two young boys (2 & 3) - we currently live in Ireland.

Due to finacial stresses in the market place (we run our own business) and an offer of a buy out we think we should take the offer and make a new life - both the UK & Ireland are on a serious downturn and we feel a new life is possible especially as the boys are so young and not yet settled in full time education.

My profession is Hospitality Sales, Marketing, Revenue and Reservations.
My Husbands is Direct Marketing and Strategic Consultancy for large clients with a additional background in online marketing.

We can make an application for permanent visas to Austrailia or New Zealand and have the skill set and points but this is a long process and costly so sponsorship from an employee would be a great start of offer stability and a possiblity of relocating sooner than the 2 years an application takes.

Any advice, view and recommended locations would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM

347 posts, read 1,164,741 times
You mention that applying for a PR takes about 2 years, where did you get that from?
I thought of moving to Australia by getting a PR based on my skills and experience. After 5 and a half months I landed in Australia on a PR visa.

If you look at most of the jobs, they mention that only people authorized to work in Australia can apply, and recruiters prefer people to be physically present locally, so I dont know how successful you will be in getting employer sponsorship.

All the best with your move, and I suggest go the PR way, it is faster than you think.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,660,753 times
New Zealand is in recession right now. I am not 100% sure the state of the Australian economy.. I do knnow the currency devalued rapidly this year from close to par with the USD to around/below .70

Any Aussies on CD care to post how they feel where their economy is headed?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 22,958 times
Hi DDevil,

Thanks for your comments, my friends have just received their approval for PR based on skills and this process has taken 22 months. They will be emigrating in January but this has proved a long and costly excercise for them.

Are you Irish? did you go through an agency or did you make your own application.

Would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Laurie

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM

347 posts, read 1,164,741 times
hi Laurie,

I made my application by myself since the agencies that assist you in filing you application charge about $2k just for helping you fill up and print the forms.

I am not Irish. Australia has international agreements with a lot of countries that recognizes their educational qualifications and work experience. For me, my country of origin is not in the list, so I had one more round of proving my education and work, and also had to pass the IELTS (which I consider 5th grade English). This added about 2 months to my timeline.

I work in the engineering software industry, and have no idea about Sales/Marketing/Hospitality that you are looking for, so don't know how much help I can provide with your specific queries.

22 months is an unreasonably long time, during my time (mid 2004) the average time for a skills based PR was 11 months and supposedly they were working to reduce it to 7 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand