Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Trouble is, he's not our leader, he's yours and I don't know about everyone else here but I get sick of the sight of OUR leaders on the tele. It doesn't really matter what he does or doesn't do, it has to do with the fact that I for one am sick and tired of looking at him already. I guess if you'd had media saturation about Johnny Howard and Kevin Rudd the way we have of George Bush and Obama, you'd be over it too. It has nothing to do with being right or left wing and everything to do with seeing too much of someone. At this point the only good thing about seeing too much Obama is that at least I'm seeing less of George.

I guess you'd have to see the rubbish that we're getting here in the media to understand why some of us are starting to think the man is worshipped.
Not that we can't discern for ourselves. It's not really about whether Obama is good or bad, worshipped or not, or whether Americans have done a good or bad thing in voting him in as President, it's about being unable to escape the American Political train once it starts rolling into town.

I mean just imagine, if you can, turning on your tele or radio EVERY DAY and seeing the next political hopeful to be PM here in Australia. Imagine opening a newspaper, a magazine, an internet forum and yet again there's that bloke from Australia. Imagine that you'd been severely impacted by the policies of the current PM in Australia. Imagine even having to form an opinion about the PM in Australia. Let's face it most of America doesn't even know Australia exists (can't count how many times I've discussed Austria with an American) OR that there is an ANZUS Alliance or that we have American bases in our country or even how our political system works. We're just this cute little, happy country down the arse end of the earth that most Americans never even think about. So I'm quite sure if you'd had the amount of media coverage about our election that we'd had on yours you too, would be completely over it.
OK so turn off your TV or blame your television carriers. Write letters. What do you want from us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
They are merely epressing frustration with it all - the same frustration most of us felt to have to see/hear all the god-awful ads prior to election. What good do you think it would have done to write letters? zero

Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
OK so turn off your TV or blame your television carriers. Write letters. What do you want from us?
I already have the television turned off. Just goes to show how pervasive it is huh? There's no escape. It's not something that Americans really understand unless they're here.

I guess all I'd like from the media outlets is a little peace and quiet. You're not getting that though I sense. I don't want anything from you except an indication that you could understand the problem but it's cool, I guess you have to be here to get it.

hehe! Imagine Americans having to write letters to their media outlets or turn off their tv's because everywhere they look Kevin 07!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
They are merely epressing frustration with it all - the same frustration most of us felt to have to see/hear all the god-awful ads prior to election. What good do you think it would have done to write letters? zero

Thank you.

It's not that I have issue with Obama at all. I think it's great that he's been elected as I said earlier in the thread. It is very historic and I do hope that he brings greatness with his presidency. I understand that Americans are excited. It is huge. But sheesh I was sick of George already!

It's my patriotic duty as an Australian to be sick and tired of politicians full stop. It doesn't matter to me where they come from.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
In all honesty, I wouldn't like it either. And neither would many of us Americans had it not been this particular election which scenario changed from day to day, begining with the primaries (Hillary and Obama) which had enough drama to keep us interested.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM

It sure has been dramatic.

I'm still not sure what happened to Hillary.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Trouble is, he's not our leader, he's yours and I don't know about everyone else here but I get sick of the sight of OUR leaders on the tele. It doesn't really matter what he does or doesn't do, it has to do with the fact that I for one am sick and tired of looking at him already. I guess if you'd had media saturation about Johnny Howard and Kevin Rudd the way we have of George Bush and Obama, you'd be over it too. It has nothing to do with being right or left wing and everything to do with seeing too much of someone. At this point the only good thing about seeing too much Obama is that at least I'm seeing less of George.

I guess you'd have to see the rubbish that we're getting here in the media to understand why some of us are starting to think the man is worshipped.
Not that we can't discern for ourselves. It's not really about whether Obama is good or bad, worshipped or not, or whether Americans have done a good or bad thing in voting him in as President, it's about being unable to escape the American Political train once it starts rolling into town.

I mean just imagine, if you can, turning on your tele or radio EVERY DAY and seeing the next political hopeful to be PM here in Australia. Imagine opening a newspaper, a magazine, an internet forum and yet again there's that bloke from Australia. Imagine that you'd been severely impacted by the policies of the current PM in Australia. Imagine even having to form an opinion about the PM in Australia. Let's face it most of America doesn't even know Australia exists (can't count how many times I've discussed Austria with an American) OR that there is an ANZUS Alliance or that we have American bases in our country or even how our political system works. We're just this cute little, happy country down the arse end of the earth that most Americans never even think about. So I'm quite sure if you'd had the amount of media coverage about our election that we'd had on yours you too, would be completely over it.
I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
I think the latest U.S election is a reminder that regardless of one's political leanings, we live in amazing times. I never thought we'd see a charismatic leader such as Obama again. There certainly aren't any here in Oz.
As I said on another foum, there was general euphoria (in my circles at least), when Obama was announced as the next President. Most of us had tears of joy, it was a highly emotionally charged moment.
I found the whole U.S election coverage enthralling, but then I'm doing an American Studies major at uni. It's been a while since I've been interested politics on this scale, and the interest has spread to a global one, since there are such high expectations of Obama, especially in the arena of global relations.
I was also surprised at McCain and his graciousness in defeat, urging his supporters to get behind Obama.
Congrats U.S.A, looking forward to Jan 20th and the end of the Bush era!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way.
Thanks. I'm really not trying to bag America or Americans or even Obama. It just gets a bit much really.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like there for you guys. If we were getting so much of it, it must have been like an avalanche there.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Avalanche? I was ready to lite my hair on fire. I got to the point where I'd say "OK, the next person that dares to come on with another ad (every 20 min. or so) will not get my vote. Ha! Fixed them I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand