U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
 
67 posts, read 66,928 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Same here in America. Go to small towns and if a black person or couple moves there, you'll see some discrimination. or if they were asian or latino, or even worse, middle eastern, you'll get stares and some people not tolerating you well. LOL. But it depends on what towns you're talking about too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 AM
 
80 posts, read 77,447 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I don't think it's quite that bad!!!

NZ and Australia are great places to be right now regarding the recession.
I'm not sure that New Zealand is (unless you're a Kiwi, of course) House prices are still falling, immigration is stagnating, the brain drain is running full bore and crime is out of control in some places because the police are under resourced.

Quote:
The US is much, much worse off right now. Look at Nevada and California.
NZ's unemployment is nowhere near that of the US ....we do not have awful things going on....a couple of percentage points increase u/e and that's it. Many finance companies have collapsed, but they would have anyway (bad, shonky management)
Unfortunately "shonky management" seems to be more the norm, rather than the exception. Only today the companies office announced they are going to investigate a failed finance company(Rockford Finance) and there was also something on the news about a lawyer who'd been struck off for "egregious" breaches in his duty to Blue Chip investors, having been censured before for similar offences.

Quote:
Housing will not crash where there is high demand and lower supply. My house has appreciated 10% since the recession started. Real estate agents are begging in my area for homes to sell due to high demand. I have notes and flyers and little gifts from them at least three times a week.
You shouldn't believe every thing that real estate agents tell you, and where is the demand coming from if immigration is stagnating?

The only way to find the true value of your home is to put it on the market and see what it sells for, if it sells. In reality house prices are predicted to keep falling for the next 2 years and then level out. The downward spiral is the result of tax changes, rising interest rates and falling population growth.

Quote:
And Auckland University is worldclass .... good place to study for a foreigner. There are lots of Americans students here
"Worldclass" .... for what exactly? overall peformance? for specific undergraduate degrees? for its research work? or because it's just cheaper than a lot of other English speaking countries' universities & it attracts a lot of international students, leaving not a lot of room for Kiwis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Australasia
304 posts, read 376,526 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
I'm not sure that New Zealand is (unless you're a Kiwi, of course) House prices are still falling, immigration is stagnating, the brain drain is running full bore and crime is out of control in some places because the police are under resourced.



Unfortunately "shonky management" seems to be more the norm, rather than the exception. Only today the companies office announced they are going to investigate a failed finance company(Rockford Finance) and there was also something on the news about a lawyer who'd been struck off for "egregious" breaches in his duty to Blue Chip investors, having been censured before for similar offences.



You shouldn't believe every thing that real estate agents tell you, and where is the demand coming from if immigration is stagnating?

The only way to find the true value of your home is to put it on the market and see what it sells for, if it sells. In reality house prices are predicted to keep falling for the next 2 years and then level out. The downward spiral is the result of tax changes, rising interest rates and falling population growth.

"Worldclass" .... for what exactly? overall peformance? for specific undergraduate degrees? for its research work? or because it's just cheaper than a lot of other English speaking countries' universities & it attracts a lot of international students, leaving not a lot of room for Kiwis?
oh pls....the market in MY area is strong...there are lots of (kiwi) buyers and not enough supply.
Auckland University is ranked in top 50 ....not too shabby.... not sure what the problem is with that?
Shonky mgt is everywhere....US takes the lead with this one during this recession...bankers/brokers...Bernie Madoff.....shall we go on?

Also, may I ask? ..... why do you live here if dislike it so much? Why don't you go home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Southern Hemisphere
11 posts, read 30,769 times
Reputation: 27
I think it depends on where you live. In Wellington, Auckland or other cities, you will find that -yes- you will stand out, but people tend to see you as a pleasant part of the diversity of the place. As a PP noted, there is definitely more discrimination against Asian and Indian populations, likely because the numbers are much higher, and hence the perceived 'threat' greater.

I have found that in cities or in the countryside, most Kiwis are genuinely curious about African Americans as most have never met an African American before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
 
1,282 posts, read 785,049 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
oh pls....the market in MY area is strong...there are lots of (kiwi) buyers and not enough supply.
Auckland University is ranked in top 50 ....not too shabby.... not sure what the problem is with that?
Shonky mgt is everywhere....US takes the lead with this one during this recession...bankers/brokers...Bernie Madoff.....shall we go on?

Also, may I ask? ..... why do you live here if dislike it so much? Why don't you go home?
+1 bravo, sod off if they are going to complain there asses off, we dont want or need them.

Since his post house prices are slightly up, we dont want or need another housing bubble, so I sincerily hope they stay flat ish for the next 5 years. The best outcome from the last bubble is steady prices not a rapid fall like Ireland or much of the US.

NZ's population grew something like 1% in the last year which is guess what normal lol.

I agree with shonky management, Corperates in the US have become mega Greedy raping the companys they work for while wages in the US have not been climbing much for the average worker over the last few decades.

Australia is ahead BUT it is very much a two speed economy, not everyone is benefiting from the mining boom that reflects in so many governemt figures.

Lastly I lived in NZ through the early 90's and even remeber the horrid 80's, NZ is far from going backwards as some dooms dayers like to bleet on about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,338 times
Reputation: 10
Default Hopefully Visiting Soon

Hi All,

I am an African American woman interested in moving to New Zealand. I am a nurse so, I am planning to travel and work as a nurse. I would like to know how the job market is for nursing in New Zealand? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lauryen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
 
9,107 posts, read 12,612,799 times
Reputation: 4037
[quote=tuberose;14906384]Auckland University is ranked in top 50 ....quote]

What study is Auckland U ranked in the top 50? I'd like to find it.
The only I found with a kiwi Uni is the Times of London ranking:
Top 200 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2010-2011

it's #145 and the only kiwi Uni. The other well regarded study, Shanghai Jiao Tong ranking listed Auckland in the 200-300 range, along with Otago.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...1/top-200.html

I thought 1 other Uni in NZ would at least make the top 200. As expected the Aussie Group of 8 Unis are well represented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,279 times
Reputation: 14
To Lauryen828...as much as I love NZ (moved here from the states, and it is much better here EXCEPT for nursing) nursing is really a glorified nurses' aide job in NZ and you will make about the equivalent of a nurse's aide in the USA as an RN here. IF you passed NCLEX (which you had to in order to practice in the states) you will be highly overqualified for nursing here, since nurses in NZ do not give narcotics medications without another nurse witness, do not take phone orders without another nurse witness, and do not diagnose or read/interpret labs. In the USA, nurses work independently and realistically do what either NURSE PRACTITIONERS or PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS do in NZ....Nursing is not challenging in NZ (the exception is COMMUNITY work), and SATISFYING work is not easy to find. I have worked for a DHB for 3 years and am moving on to something else as the DHB hospitals tend to treat nurses like small children. Here is the difference: nurses are NOT considered to be a PROFESSIONAL member of the healthcare team in NZ. Schooling is VOCATIONAL and much like an LPN program in the USA...In other words, the doctors don't want your opinion - they don't care how knowledgable you are because they know better...it's the GOD phenomenon. In all actuality, being a highly skilled nurse from the USA, you will most likely know more than the NZ educated doctors...that's how good the education system for nurses is in America or Canada compared to here. Education in NZ is not as competitive or difficult as the rest of the world. I actually get scared to think I would ever need care from one of these doctors, because all the good doctors and nurses run off to Australia where the pay and working conditions are much better. If you can find something to do other than nursing - by all means...you will love it here. The place has really grown on me, but nursing is like the 1920's. It has a way to go before nurses are treated like professionals, but the schools need to widen the education so that nurses are allowed to be thinking individuals. My university science degree is completely wasted here, but you have to look at the overall quality of life. You are not going to get paid anything even remotely near what you made in the states (I am making about 20% of what I made), but the responsibility is much lower since nurses really don't do that much in NZ. Community nursing is the most autonomous nursing available here, so I would recommend that if you move here. I believe that there are alot of politics that are keeping nurses in a subordinate role in NZ, and it is sad because when nurses are in a teamwork/patient advocate position and have more power - they can do more to help the patients receive quality care. Nurses just don't have any power here to influence anything. It's quite a shocker when compared to nursing in the USA where nurses tell the doctors exactly what they need to give good care. Here, they want you one way -- obedient - don't ask questions, just obey. This is the reality of what you will be dealing with here as a nurse in a hospital setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,139 posts, read 3,037,239 times
Reputation: 4182
I wonder if the original poster moved to NZ and, are some of the early posters still around in NZ ? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 PM
 
1,482 posts, read 1,096,780 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPierre View Post
To Lauryen828...as much as I love NZ (moved here from the states, and it is much better here EXCEPT for nursing) nursing is really a glorified nurses' aide job in NZ and you will make about the equivalent of a nurse's aide in the USA as an RN here. IF you passed NCLEX (which you had to in order to practice in the states) you will be highly overqualified for nursing here, since nurses in NZ do not give narcotics medications without another nurse witness, do not take phone orders without another nurse witness, and do not diagnose or read/interpret labs. In the USA, nurses work independently and realistically do what either NURSE PRACTITIONERS or PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS do in NZ....Nursing is not challenging in NZ (the exception is COMMUNITY work), and SATISFYING work is not easy to find. I have worked for a DHB for 3 years and am moving on to something else as the DHB hospitals tend to treat nurses like small children. Here is the difference: nurses are NOT considered to be a PROFESSIONAL member of the healthcare team in NZ. Schooling is VOCATIONAL and much like an LPN program in the USA...In other words, the doctors don't want your opinion - they don't care how knowledgable you are because they know better...it's the GOD phenomenon. In all actuality, being a highly skilled nurse from the USA, you will most likely know more than the NZ educated doctors...that's how good the education system for nurses is in America or Canada compared to here. Education in NZ is not as competitive or difficult as the rest of the world. I actually get scared to think I would ever need care from one of these doctors, because all the good doctors and nurses run off to Australia where the pay and working conditions are much better. If you can find something to do other than nursing - by all means...you will love it here. The place has really grown on me, but nursing is like the 1920's. It has a way to go before nurses are treated like professionals, but the schools need to widen the education so that nurses are allowed to be thinking individuals. My university science degree is completely wasted here, but you have to look at the overall quality of life. You are not going to get paid anything even remotely near what you made in the states (I am making about 20% of what I made), but the responsibility is much lower since nurses really don't do that much in NZ. Community nursing is the most autonomous nursing available here, so I would recommend that if you move here. I believe that there are alot of politics that are keeping nurses in a subordinate role in NZ, and it is sad because when nurses are in a teamwork/patient advocate position and have more power - they can do more to help the patients receive quality care. Nurses just don't have any power here to influence anything. It's quite a shocker when compared to nursing in the USA where nurses tell the doctors exactly what they need to give good care. Here, they want you one way -- obedient - don't ask questions, just obey. This is the reality of what you will be dealing with here as a nurse in a hospital setting.
I showed your post to my sister ( nurse practitioner)
she fell about with laughter with your suggestion that nursing is not a VOCATIONAL degree in the states, some information for you, except for those doing Masters or PHDs all degrees in NZ are vocational including medicine.
USA nurses are trained to the level of a member of the Royal Australasian college of Surgeons, why do I have my doubts.

Only 20% of the pay, you must have been on around US $250,000, why on earth are you staying here if you can make that money in the US.

Oh, our doctors will not change, why should they to suit a nurse ?
Want to stay in NZ, I suggest you obey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top