Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 194,203 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone in here from Perth? I think it's one of the best cities to visit in the world. I visted several time when I was in the US Navy from 1982 to 2001 and It was fun every time. How is it these days? The people were really freindly and the area very scenic in a coastal Southern California kind of way with much less people.

I also enjoyed Newcastle, Sydney, and Nelson Bay. I haven't been to any other places yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif1964 View Post
Is there anyone in here from Perth? I think it's one of the best cities to visit in the world. I visted several time when I was in the US Navy from 1982 to 2001 and It was fun every time. How is it these days? The people were really freindly and the area very scenic in a coastal Southern California kind of way with much less people.

I also enjoyed Newcastle, Sydney, and Nelson Bay. I haven't been to any other places yet.
I actually live in Regional WA. Though I do visit Perth quite often.

The mining boom in the north of the state, Has injected alot of money into the city and the CBD is currently undergoing a revamp. With many new buildings going up and a recently completed construction of a new "Underground" railway service. Connecting Perth To the coastal centre of Mandurah.

There are of course many things to be improved. But, Perth is actually doing pretty well these days and is still a nice city to visit (Though I could be biased? )

YouTube - Perth Australia's Golden City

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,523 times
Calif1964, you're due for another visit methinks! Maybe you can make your way back to some old Sydney haunts too?
Roo, I got the exact same impression of Perth as described by you when I was there, but that was in 1984-85. (I saw in the New Year in....Hay St Mall I think it was. Someone lobbed a lit torch into the town hall clock..or a clock anyhoo).
But Perth seemed ultra modern and progressive even then. Mind you, the only other capital city I'd seen at that point was Adelaide.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 PM

656 posts, read 2,741,868 times
Still the same.
Great weather, beaches and people
If you were thinking of moving there though real estate has
shot throught the roof. Perth is not the bargain it once was.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,759 times
Quote:
The mining boom in the north of the state, Has injected alot of money into the city and the CBD is currently undergoing a revamp.
not to mention, it's keeping the NSW economy afloat

Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,657 times
Quote:
Roo, I got the exact same impression of Perth as described by you when I was there, but that was in 1984-85. (I saw in the New Year in....Hay St Mall I think it was. Someone lobbed a lit torch into the town hall clock..or a clock anyhoo
Sounds like it could have been the ornate Clock, On top of London Court? ....The Town Hall Clock is also on Hay Street. But it's further down, and would be harder to throw anything into it

London Court - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perth Town Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
not to mention, it's keeping the NSW economy afloat
LOL I don't know!..We on the west coast, Have to always carry you eastern staters!

We mighn't be able to help you for much longer? As The current economic problems, Seem to be starting to slow the WA mining sector down? As the industry becomes concerned, About the reaction of a slowing world economy on mineral exports?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 11-27-2008 at 05:34 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 194,203 times
Thanks everyone for the pics and updating me on the city and area. I married a wonderful lady from Newcastle in 2003. She has never been to Perth so we plan to visit after we move to Australia. I'm so ready to get out of the hectic pace over here .

Old 11-27-2008, 09:20 PM

[quote=Kangaroofarmer;6332436]Sounds like it could have been the ornate Clock, On top of London Court? ....The Town Hall Clock is also on Hay Street. But it's further down, and would be harder to throw anything into it

Yep, my memory of that night is slightly hazy, but I'm pretty sure it was the London Court one.
Calif1964, where in So. Cal are you presently living? At least the climate in Perth won't be too different to what you're used to!

Last edited by jacq63; 11-27-2008 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: helps if you use the correct name!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times
I live in Perth. Glad you like the place and that we treated you well when you visited. I always worry about some of the small-minded types with their ignorant anti-Americanism who might say or do something that would turn off visitors.

You're in the Navy, huh? Always a neat sight when hundreds of navy personnel on shore leave flock the streets. Haven't seen that in a while. Not sure, but I think I read something that said you're supposed to go around in civilian clothes now, not uniform. If so, too bad, I miss seeing all those uniforms.

Back when you could still go tour aircraft carriers, I think it was 1999, we went on the USS Kitty Hawk when she was in Fremantle. Or at least I believe it was the Kitty Hawk. Yup, hubby says it was. What an amazing experience. It was so BIG! And we went on that big lift thing that lifts the planes out of down below and on to the deck. Wow! And the idea of the cooks being able to keep so many hundreds of navy personnel well-fed was mind-boggling.

All the best with your plans. Funny, but we'd like to go the other way - to California. We love it there.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM

Ditto Vichel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand