Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 AM

262 posts, read 567,130 times

Advertisements

I love the movie chopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
There was an Australian Vietnam war film called the Odd Angry Shot, but i've never seen it. Apparently it's not on dvd yet and VHS copies are rare.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Not a film but a made for TV epic - "The Thorn Birds based" on the book by Colleen McCullough. I read the book a few years before I saw the movie and wasn't very disappointed. An outstanding cast including Barbara Stanwyck,Richard Chamberlain, Rachel Ward and Ken Howard.

I'm going to order the DVD box set immediately

The second movie is "The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith" first saw it on its release a couple of decades ago.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotallica View Post
I love the movie chopper.
Do you know I ordered a low budget independent movie Kevin Spacey made, a few months ago...it came with 3 other movies as a box set and "Chopper" was one of them. I just never got the plot, there again I may have been tired or in a different mood.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There was an Australian Vietnam war film called the Odd Angry Shot, but i've never seen it. Apparently it's not on dvd yet and VHS copies are rare.

Odd Angry Shot, The @ EzyDVD (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/222518 - broken link)

Apparently it's OUT OF STOCK with ezy but they will backorder it for you.

I know I've seen it in dvd bins around the place from time to time, if I happen across it again I'm happy to grab you a copy and post it.

It's possible they're going to re-release it with all the Graham Kennedy interest that's going on at the moment.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times
"The Odd Angry Shot" is a great movie, I'll have to keep my eyes open for the DVD.

YouTube - "The Odd Angry Shot"

Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Odd Angry Shot, The @ EzyDVD (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/222518 - broken link)

Apparently it's OUT OF STOCK with ezy but they will backorder it for you.

I know I've seen it in dvd bins around the place from time to time, if I happen across it again I'm happy to grab you a copy and post it.

It's possible they're going to re-release it with all the Graham Kennedy interest that's going on at the moment.
Well that is good to know as last time I looked it wasn't out. Don't worry about searching for it for me as I'll keep a look out on ebay australia and snag it sometime. I still need to clear the backlog from Christmas and I've got 8 Top Gear Australia episodes to watch.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Do you know I ordered a low budget independent movie Kevin Spacey made, a few months ago...it came with 3 other movies as a box set and "Chopper" was one of them. I just never got the plot, there again I may have been tired or in a different mood.
I never bothered with it as I never did understand the whole "Chopper" mystique and the "brand" he now has with books, artwork, etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I never bothered with it as I never did understand the whole "Chopper" mystique and the "brand" he now has with books, artwork, etc.
Aussie thing, fascination with those on the other side of the law, like Ned Kelly. I view them both as scummy thugs and don't understand the fascination either. I know Chopper does anti-crime motivational type talks but I wonder whether the audience is more into the whole "mystique" of being in the same room as a whacko violent and cruel standover man, versus getting any serious, deep message about life. If the latter, then bravo for him, for doing something positive.

Bana did a great job in the movie, I only watched about half of it, but he was very believably creepy and putrid.

The only "Chopper" I enjoy watching is the pisstake they do of him on the Ronnie Johns comedy show. The Chopper Reads Your Horoscope one was classic. I emailed the URL to friends who are really into the whole astrology thing and they weren't amused

Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 PM

49 posts, read 380,600 times
I can remember fondly watching 'BMX Bandits' all summer long when I was a kid (each month during the summer, Nickelodeon [a kids' network in the US] would do this whole week-long 'Christmas in July' campaign. I think it was just their excuse to teach kids about Australia and show 'BMX Bandits' multiple times. HBO showed it a lot, too...hmmm). I love that movie - I still think it's N. Kidman's best flick.

I also remember seeing Thandie Newton and Kidman in the film 'Flirting' as a teen - that was fun.

And finally, the film that totally scared the hell out of me for a few nights, 'Fortress' - remember that one?? - the heart in the jar at the end...priceless!

As an adult, I've enjoyed 'Whale Rider', 'Rabbit Proof Fence', and 'Strickly Ballroom'. And, I know everyone just loves to hate this flick, but I LOVED 'AUSTRALIA'! The film was fun, moving, and not sluggish at all. I thought it was a great epic and I think Baz is a genious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand