Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Asian Australian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney: 16.88% Asian

I keep hearing of a large Asian reference to Sydney...does this number sound accurate, or do they seem much more represented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
What does it matter?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 AM

47 posts, read 182,374 times
Regardless of whether it matters or not, I will answer...

Completely depends what suburbs you're living or working in, but yes, there is a large Asian minority in Sydney. In the city itself, they are the most visible minority. I would have guessed more than that amount, but then again, that's just anecdotal and refers to where I work and study, UTS is right near Chinatown, so that's no surprise.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
I stayed at a hotel next to Chinatown and UTS.. and I thought Sydney was significantly more Asian. I ate well and got a cheap haircut. But away from that area it wasn't so; so again, it depends on the neighborhood. If you are in Chinatown in NYC you will think the same but in other parts of NY.. not.
So the right answer is it depends on what neighborhood you are in, as stated by Ciaob.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
In the US, usually orientals (Chinese / Japanese etc) are referred to as Asians. Is it the same in Australia or is Asians there are a combination of Orientals, Indians/Pakistanis, MiddleEasterners etc ?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In the US, usually orientals (Chinese / Japanese etc) are referred to as Asians. Is it the same in Australia or is Asians there are a combination of Orientals, Indians/Pakistanis, MiddleEasterners etc ?
In the UK they seem to lump everyone together. Here Middle Easterners are Middle Easterners. I don't think anyone calls them Asians here. That seems to be reserved for Orientals. Funny, I haven't hear that term in years - Orientals. That's what people from China, HK, Japan, Korea, etc. are called in Canada. Here in Oz, whenever I said that people didn't know what I was referring to.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
In the UK they seem to lump everyone together. Here Middle Easterners are Middle Easterners. I don't think anyone calls them Asians here. That seems to be reserved for Orientals. Funny, I haven't hear that term in years - Orientals. That's what people from China, HK, Japan, Korea, etc. are called in Canada. Here in Oz, whenever I said that people didn't know what I was referring to.
Most Asians in the U.S. are offended by the usage of the word 'oriental'.

I don't know the history of why...but Edward Said's book, 'Orientalism' refers to, basically, anything beyond Istanbul, but seems mostly in the Middle East. I do think I've heard references of 'Westerners' going to the 'FAR EAST' and also referring to that as 'The Orient'.

Whatever the case, 'oriental' is generally perceived negatively by most Asians that I've known in the U.S. I didn't realize ther term was used often in Canada.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Whatever the case, 'oriental' is generally perceived negatively by most Asians that I've known in the U.S. I didn't realize ther term was used often in Canada.
Strange. My Chinese friends and co-workers in Vancouver had no problem with the term "oriental", even calling themselves that. What they did find offensive, or insulting, is if they were mainland Chinese and you called them Hong Kongers, or vice versa.

It's too hard to keep up with, all this sensitivity stuff.

Did you know that in Oz we have a brand of cheese called 'Coon'?? I still find that a bit of a shocker every time I'm in the dairy section. I buy Bega cheese anyway

Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most Asians in the U.S. are offended by the usage of the word 'oriental'.

I don't know the history of why...but Edward Said's book, 'Orientalism' refers to, basically, anything beyond Istanbul, but seems mostly in the Middle East. I do think I've heard references of 'Westerners' going to the 'FAR EAST' and also referring to that as 'The Orient'.

A guy who was once a good friend, Japanese, informed me that the primary reason for the offense is, quote, "Oriental is how you describe food...not a race."

Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
Quote:
Did you know that in Oz we have a brand of cheese called 'Coon'?? I still find that a bit of a shocker every time I'm in the dairy section. I buy Bega cheese anyway
it's named after Edward Coon who came up with the way to mature the cheese. You can look it up on the US patent office website. I don't think the word 'coon' was ever historically used in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand