Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the Gonzaga vs St. Mary's game (American University college basketball) and Patty Mills (Canbera) is lighting it up. He is projected to be a very good, if not NBA superstar. He's the point guard for the Australian national team, and did very well against team USA, our coach said that he's gonna be an NBA superstar. The thing is, he's aborigine and could be the worlds first aborigine international superstar and be a hero for young Native Australian children to look up to. He's very charismatic and has a dynamic personality and is awesome on the basketball court.

Patrick Mills - Saint Mary's College

P.S. Apparently the game is on ESPN Australia right now if you want to check him out. However as I was writing this, patty injured his hand, hope it's not serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Man, I feel so guilty. As I was writing my thread, Patty injured his wrist and isn't available for the second half. It may cost St. Mary's the game. I hope it isn't serious. By the way St. Mary's has five Aussies on their team, the most in the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) and has three more coming in next season.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM

To answer my own op; apparently not too famous, as I am the only one that has posted in it. Sadly as I was writing it last night, Patty broke his hand and will be out 4 weeks.

Saint Mary's Gaels lose leading scorer Patty Mills for month - ESPN

Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
There will probably be some interest if Patty Mills goes on to join the NBA? However, Many people wouldn't even be aware, that we even have Players in other American Basketball competitions!....Our media only really shows Australian's in the NBA.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-30-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Well, so it doesn't look like you're being ignored ... and I'm not your typical Aussie sports tragic ....

First of all, I thought Patty was a girl They usually only talk about the big games of the NBA here. Andrew Bogut was talked about for a while. And Lauren Jackson of the WNBA.

Second, the only Aussie overseas sports star in the spotlight at this time is Ben Graham. He's been on the news several times in the past couple of weeks. Good for him, we'll be watching, as we always watch the Super Bowl every year. There's something about American Football that is so nice to watch after the frenetic schizo chaos of Aussie Rules.

Other than that, the Australian Open is front and centre right now in the sports news. Another Federer vs. Nadal showdown. And Jelena's comeback brought tears to many an Aussie's eye.

The Zzzzzz Cricket Zzzzzzz is big here right now too. Zzzzzzzzz.

Footie season almost starting up so they're obsessing about that already. Here in Perth, Ben Cousins is always in the news even though he's over in Melbourne now. My dream of not having to hear about the every minutae of his life might not come true afterall, as they just can't seem to let go.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Basketball is not a very big sport in Australia. Personally Andrew Bogut is the only Australian basketballer currently playing i could name, and i am a sports tragic. Anyway good to hear an aussie doing well in the US.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Basketball is not a very big sport in Australia. Personally Andrew Bogut is the only Australian basketballer currently playing i could name, and i am a sports tragic. Anyway good to hear an aussie doing well in the US.
Patty Mills is really popular here; especially after he lit up Team USA for 20 points in the Olympics last summer. His injury was big news on all of the sports channels. I don't get why hoops isn't more popular there. For a small nation, y'all put out some good players.

P.S What's a sports tragic, I've never heard the term before? Is that like a sports fanatic?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Only know about Andrew Gaze playing in the US and Luke Longely (?) he's Australian isn't he? AND I only know about Luke because of Eddie Vedder mentioning it once at a PJ concert.

Basket ball isn't really my thing. Never heard of Patty Mills till you mentioned him.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Only know about Andrew Gaze playing in the US and Luke Longely (?) he's Australian isn't he? AND I only know about Luke because of Eddie Vedder mentioning it once at a PJ concert.

Basket ball isn't really my thing. Never heard of Patty Mills till you mentioned him.
Andrew Bogut was the #1 pick in the NBA draft a few years ago. That's a really big deal in pro sports here.

Andrew Bogut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
To clarify yes a sport tragic is like a sport fanatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand