Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 AM

31 posts, read 99,854 times

Advertisements

Thanks

Ok then
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Heres a few for ya champ :

*More golf courses per capita than anywhere else in the world
Not according to nzgolf.org.nz .

NZ has 419, which is the second highest number of courses per capita in the world. Scotland has 543 courses for just over 5 million people.

Quote:
*A low crime rate in comparison to many other places in the world
Places such as........?
Nationmaster puts NZ second in the world highest crime rate stakes, Maps of the World puts it in 3rd.

That NZ gang culture doesn't help much

Quote:
*Great outdoors activities and adventures
Granted, but with an accident and death rate that raises more than a few eyebrows

Quote:
*Great wines and a nice range of cuisine options
The wines are ok but the truely 'great' ones are either expensive or reserved for export only. Hardly worth moving to NZ for though

Quote:
*Great conversion rate from the US dollar, Euro and pound to the NZ dollar
Great if you're coming into the country, not so good if you want to leave anytime soon. Makes for more expensive imports too.

Quote:
*Some special nature that is unqiue to NZ
Amen.

Last edited by Luthienz; 02-26-2009 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
1st or 2nd not much difference re the golf courses you train spotter you. Point taken on the crime rate, but its a case of basing yourself in a good area and you are much less likely to be effected. Disagree re the wines, but I guess it depends what you consider expensive.

Currency conversion....thats why u have offshore accounts set up in the foriegn currencies of your choice so u can draw on, when leaving.

Amen

Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
1st or 2nd not much difference re the golf courses you train spotter you. Point taken on the crime rate, but its a case of basing yourself in a good area and you are much less likely to be effected. Disagree re the wines, but I guess it depends what you consider expensive.

Currency conversion....thats why u have offshore accounts set up in the foriegn currencies of your choice so u can draw on, when leaving.

Amen
Fortunately the currency has come down to a more reasonable level. $0.60 US$ to NZ$ I think is fair but I am glad it is lower. I had decided not to come back until it had dropped lower as last time at $.82 to the NZ$ I felt like I was getting bent over a barrel.

The crime I have to say is something I am starting to worry about. You expect the usual ex boyfriend shoots ex girlfriend and new boyfriend, but it seems in recent times there have been many random murders and attacks on people just minding their business walking along. Also the police seem ill prepared and stuck in the 1950's when it comes to crime.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM

31 posts, read 99,854 times
Quote:

Amen
Lol! I'll just get my anorak

Good tip about the foreign currency accounts.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dca48 View Post
it was hard to adjust to the very low standard of living comparing to the US, the low quality of food, clothes, cars, service, gouging, no morals in business, bait and switch in every deal, having Americans in general ridiculed so often and so freely, was all hard. Most folks have false teeth or rotting teeth, as dental care is very expensive ($200 for a regular 6 month cleaning) most folks have pretty bad hygeine. Its rare to encounter a clean nicely groomed male in a clean pressed shirt. Hair dressers are arrogant and treat you like they're doing you a huge favor. Most probalby get paid bettern than corporate managment, no douches, no decent clothing or furniture or shoes. They don't rinse the soap off the dishes so if you eat over at a kiwi's place, it usually tastes like soap. You don't want to invest in a home because most were built to allow leakage and most homes smell like mold. Even expensive ones. Regardless of being the first country to allow women to vote, women are very old fashioned and I've met only a few who actually work full time in a professional position. As a result, men treat women like 2nd class people worse than in the US. So those things were hard to adjust to.

What was easy was very little crime, courteous interaction from strangers, and simplistic world views. People dress very simple and cheaply and it's not unusual to see people walking barefoot in tank tops down the street in the rain. They seem very relaxed and carefree in their appearance, unlike Americans, who are a bit more proper in their grooming.

that is the biggest lot of BULL**** i have ever read. Do not listen to this person. all i can say is WOW. where the hell did you get all that from?????????

Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhomegrown View Post
that is the biggest lot of bull**** i have ever read. Do not listen to this person. All i can say is wow. Where the hell did you get all that from?????????
+10000

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 AM

15 posts, read 42,100 times
Reserach a few months ago found NZ was the safest country in the world... notice your map says 'reported' crime... a place like Brazil would have far higher rate, it's just not reported crime. Have you had a look at their murder rate there? Exactly.

True, it may not be financially the best option to move here, but if you judge life by the $$$ in the bank then it's just as well you don't move here, because kiwi's enjoy life. It may be cold during the night, and you may have to stoke up the fire, but looking out the window in the morning to see the snow capped mountains in front of you, and then driving down the road to spend a day on the beach with just your family, that is what life is about for us.

Just as well we have less fast food options here, and our winters are brisk... because if it keeps people like you away then I'm happy!

And to the original poster, if you come here with an open mind and looking for a different way or life then go for it! I think there is a negative attitude aimed at American's because they are seen on the world stage as being materialistic and always keeping up appearances, but if you are positive to our country and people then we will embrace you.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I read an article, that said over 1.5 mil Americans are leaving America every year, since the 80's. Seems to be a little higher when the republicans are in office, but still almost the same with the Dems. Hens the question. I is quite costly to move to another country, so it is not the poor who are leaving. And large amounts of money are leaving with them.
Well, Obama (President Zero) isn't a Republican, but since he will destroy the American economy very quickly, I am planning to get out before his storm troopers come to take my family and me to the labor camps and he redistributes my small wealth.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Well, Obama (President Zero) isn't a Republican, but since he will destroy the American economy very quickly, I am planning to get out before his storm troopers come to take my family and me to the labor camps and he redistributes my small wealth.
Have a problems with Obama's tan do you, well that is tough, do mention it when applying to immigrate to either NZ or Australia.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
I will say that the crime in the past few years has skyrocketed it seems, every week it seems like you read about a body been found somewhere around the country, saying that though if you don't create trouble, you'll be right. Base yourself in a good area and you'll be sweet as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand