Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I dont see why they have to hang the cats though after they shoot them.I bet they have a vegamite burger & a fosters beer afterwards to celebrate their kill...UGH!!
I think that it's a few shrimp on the barbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Shrimp? That's crazy Paul Hogan talk.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Well, if memory serves me right a billy goat will keep foxes away, as you can imagine, the billy goat will usually always have a smell of urine about him and this apparently is not appealing to foxes. We had chooks when I was a kid and was never bothered with foxes cos we had goats also, (among other things, ie turkeys, ducks, geese etc), but it's the billy goat which does the job, not the nanny.

- If you intend to use a rifle then aim just below the head because the projectile will travel in an arc, ie; it will go up before it comes down after leaving the barrel, if you understand, so never aim directly at the head as the projectile will most probably go over it's head. I serioulsy doubt you will ever get close enough to a fox to aim directly at it's head <g>, they are too cunning to allow you to get that close.
Cheers.
Thanks ino! Guess the goat plan will please my SIL, she's been busting to get one.
I must admit they're fairly comfy getting close to us but only at night time so given than I'm not even close to proficient and it would be dark and they are crafty a goat might be the better option for us.
I know I'm not supposed to care but I'd hate to miss and not kill it outright.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I've heard that Llamas or Alpacas are good for keeping foxes away aswell.

If you can't shoot foxes? Then baiting or traps are an option?
Yeah, baiting's OK I guess roofarmer, but which one of us is going to detail what we do with them once they are caught in the 'trap'? <g>. Mind you, I haven't seen a fox or cat trap, an can only assume they are a cage of sorts and catch them 'live', what happens next? (nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more!)

The thing that stumps me is that people eat lamb chops and T-bone steaks everyday of the week and never blink an eye as to how these animals were 'executed', I believe I would rather be shot in the head than have my throat cut, or be shot in the head with a bolt to render me unconsious...then getting my throat cut, don't know about anyone else, but these are the facts of life as I remember it. Perhaps if more people witnessed this there may be a rather large swing to 'vegan' diets, but hey, this is how the human species have lived for thousands of years is it not?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I've heard that Llamas or Alpacas are good for keeping foxes away aswell.

If you can't shoot foxes? Then baiting or traps are an option?
Alpaca or Llama?? WELL you don't have to suggest that to me twice roo! I've been busting to get one or two of them! This could be just the "excuse" I've been looking for. Thanks!

I really don't think I can do either baiting or traps. They may be vermin but I'd really not want them to suffer. I'm no Clare McLeod that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
That's probably why Tess McLeod never had to deal with foxes in Gungellan. Sorry I could not resist the analogy after reading your alpaca comment.
hehe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sheesh!! PRAWNS!!!

Quote:
Shrimp? That's crazy Paul Hogan talk.
haha!! Another classic comment!

That's not a knife......THIS is a knife!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm no Clare McLeod that's for sure!
You are good. My next trip down under I need to stop in Mel and shout you a beer.. we can talk about sepos drinking fosters...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Thanks ino! Guess the goat plan will please my SIL, she's been busting to get one.
I must admit they're fairly comfy getting close to us but only at night time so given than I'm not even close to proficient and it would be dark and they are crafty a goat might be the better option for us.
I know I'm not supposed to care but I'd hate to miss and not kill it outright.
Yes, well I agree with the latter part of your quote, quick and painless is definitely preferable, 'humane' I believe would be the politically correct terminology. I used a shotgun once, many years ago, and never used it again for wildlife as I don't believe in wounding anything, unless it's gallahs of course, then you intentionally wound one so others will come to it's calls, and then you can take out several more while they hang around, oops, no pun intended with the 'hang around' bit there.

City people wouldn't have a clue though as they don't know the damage they do, everything sounds 'cruel' or whatever, but unless one is familiar then perhaps it's not that easy to grasp. No offence to city dwellers here either as I don't live in the country anymore myself, but it was an education, as any other 'country dweller' would probably agree.

As for the goat, I could never stress enough to one of our daughters how great goat 'kids' are to play with, (she's frightened of goats), although being a male I probably enjoyed their roughness when I was a child more than a girl would maybe, I can't say there. I've got the best memories of when we had goats as a child, except for the 'stinking' old billy goat <g>.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
ino

Quote:
You are good. My next trip down under I need to stop in Mel and shout you a beer.. we can talk about sepos drinking fosters...
You're not bad either...if you're thinking what I'm thinking here??

Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
You're not bad either...if you're thinking what I'm thinking here??
LOL I can shout you both beers...

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Quote:
Moons in a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand