U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,440,257 times

Advertisements

There has been some talk in the media about the draught and fires Australia is experiencing. Apparently, there has been many casualties. The prime minister was asked to comment on the fires being deliberately set, perhaps by terrorists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,371,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
There has been some talk in the media about the draught and fires Australia is experiencing. Apparently, there has been many casualties. The prime minister was asked to comment on the fires being deliberately set, perhaps by terrorists?
180 odd deaths I think, so far, more are expected as they work through each area.

There has been one person arrested so far for arson, (plus other associated offences, including murder I would think), and other suspects are being looked into.

No, these fires were not the work of terrorists, just idiots. Lightning strikes could have started a few I guess, which is common probably everywhere.

This is where the 'greenies' or environmentalists get into trouble with there "save the trees" etc, no controlled burning of undergrowth which becomes a tinder box and a recipe for disaster, maybe they should shoulder some responsibility here for 'aiding and abetting' the arsonist, or idiot, in their refusal to listen to common sense.

One property owner was fined 30 odd thousand dollars, plus paying associated court costs, for getting rid of a number of trees from his property...guess who's house was still standing when others around it burnt to the ground? They should be reimbursed every cent, plus compensation for all the crap they took from the establishment!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 PM

18,268 posts, read 3,177,253 times
I hope that the wildfires will subside and people can return to their normal lives. My heart goes out to those who have perished and to their families

Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 12,598,898 times
if people want to help best thing to do is do a google search for the Australian Red Cross and make a donation online.. you don't have to be in Oz to donate..

Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,290,130 times
There has been a spate of volunteer fire fighters lighting fires, Apparently they "get off" on the adrenaline of putting the fire (That they lit!) out? Metro and Country Fire Services are getting much more strict on who they let in now.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-14-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 AM

787 posts, read 1,089,302 times
it's drought :P

Quote:
The prime minister was asked to comment on the fires being deliberately set, perhaps by terrorists?
I did read an article of some jhadists celebrating the death and destruction on their websites.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM

31 posts, read 59,195 times
Some of them are supposed to have been started through other factors e.g. ingnited by a spark from a grinder and a short circuit that set light to a wooden power pole.

There are of course the maniacs who set these fires deliberately, the police have already made one arrest but there was some doubt as to whether the guy would be capable of standing trial.
Quote:
One property owner was fined 30 odd thousand dollars, plus paying associated court costs, for getting rid of a number of trees from his property...guess who's house was still standing when others around it burnt to the ground? They should be reimbursed every cent, plus compensation for all the crap they took from the establishment!
I'm inclined to agee, seems stupid to allow houses to be built in amongst the types of trees that burn so well. Common sense would suggest clearing a safe area around them and keeping the undergrowth in check.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthienz View Post
I'm inclined to agee, seems stupid to allow houses to be built in amongst the types of trees that burn so well. Common sense would suggest clearing a safe area around them and keeping the undergrowth in check.
In a similar setting in the U.S., I believe that if a homeowner doesn't take resonable precautions
like creating a safe area around the home and keeping undergrowth in check,
you might be denied for certain insurance claims after a wildfire.

If you can be fined for removing your own trees, how do people do gardening?
Most urban gardeners that I've seen will occaisionally rip out a few shrubs or trees and have that area start over every decade or so.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM

985 posts, read 2,314,447 times
Default drought & draught

A related question:

Do you write "drought" or "draught"?
Are they varieties of the same word?

Thx!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,290,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
A related question:

Do you write "drought" or "draught"?
Are they varieties of the same word?

Thx!
I've never seen Drought written with an "a"?

"Drought" Is when there's a lack of rain...."Draught" (Pronounced "Draft") Is beer served from a keg or tap.

....And a Draught Drought is a serious thing.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-26-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand