Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

1. Darwin
2. Hobart
3. Perth/Brisbane tie
4. Melbourne
5. Canberra
6. Adelaide (didn't find them that friendly actually)
7. Sydney - undeniably the least friendly of the capitals, been there many
times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Based on my own personal experience and thats all it is for anyone who answers this :

1. Brisbane
2. Darwin
3. Cairns
4. Townsville
5. Melbourne
6. Adelaide
7. Canberra

89. Sydney

Havn't been to Hobart or Perth so added a couple of others

Last edited by dave nz; 02-23-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Yeah, Sydney ranked at, like, 1000, or whatever is your lowest score.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM

Yeah I found Queenslanders friendly...more so Brissie than the Gold Coast. Living here you get used to the people so it seems like no big deal, it's only when I go to Sydney that I appreciate it. Hobart folk aren't like jaded big city folk imo.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
1. Darwin
2. Hobart
3. Perth/Brisbane tie
4. Melbourne
5. Canberra
6. Adelaide (didn't find them that friendly actually)
7. Sydney - undeniably the least friendly of the capitals, been there many
times
Lets see.. in Adelaide I knew the post office lady and her husband by name, a coffee shop that I went to had a special cup just for me, I used to hang out with my pharmacist and we'd go have coffee, my last trip I was chatting with the bus driver and he told me to ride his bus in 2 days and he'd make a copy of the CD he was playing. Oh I went to another pharmacist and then went to a coffee shop, the pharmacist came in and sat down and so did the coffee shop owner and we all hung out for an hour or two. Yup, Adelaide is not friendly...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Lets see.. in Adelaide I knew the post office lady and her husband by name, a coffee shop that I went to had a special cup just for me, I used to hang out with my pharmacist and we'd go have coffee, my last trip I was chatting with the bus driver and he told me to ride his bus in 2 days and he'd make a copy of the CD he was playing. Oh I went to another pharmacist and then went to a coffee shop, the pharmacist came in and sat down and so did the coffee shop owner and we all hung out for an hour or two. Yup, Adelaide is not friendly...
I too expected them to be friendly. Are you American? Because like alot of people Aussies are more friendly to tourists; at least in a superficial way.

But I did only spend 10 days there so by no means is my observation truth. It's more my personal observation, I found them kind of parochial like Melbourners, and wary of outsiders. I think Queensland, because of the tourists, just feels alot more welcoming.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I too expected them to be friendly. Are you American? Because like alot of people Aussies are more friendly to tourists; at least in a superficial way.

But I did only spend 10 days there so by no means is my observation truth. It's more my personal observation, I found them kind of parochial like Melbourners, and wary of outsiders. I think Queensland, because of the tourists, just feels alot more welcoming.
I used to live in ADL and I went to Uni in Adelaide so I know it quite well. And having a lot of tourists does not necessarily equate being friendlier; case in point -- Paris. Tons of tourists and locals aren't warm and fuzzy. In Greece a customs guy threw a whole bunch of passports of passengers going on a ferry to Turkey against a wall. Then again, I found nice people in both places. Its all in how you approach people so in the end, any ranking of aussie cities in terms of friendliness or appeal of skyline is purely subjective and you will never get a definitive answer.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-23-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I used to live in ADL and I went to Uni in Adelaide so I know it quite well. And having a lot of tourists does not necessarily equate being friendlier; case in point -- Paris. Tons of tourists and locals aren't warm and fuzzy. In Greece a customs guy threw a whole bunch of passports of passengers going on a ferry to Turkey against a wall. Then again, I found nice people in both places. Its all in how you approach people so in the end, any ranking of aussie cities in terms of friendliness or appeal of skyline is purely subjective and you will never get a definitive answer.
Yes, by now means were they horrible, rude or unkind...some were indeed friendly. I just felt they were a tad closed off and aloof, but again, subjective.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
Quote:
Yeah I found Queenslanders friendly...more so Brissie than the Gold Coast.
the Gold Coast is full of people worried about their image.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
the Gold Coast is full of people worried about their image.
The GC is an example of a town that is TOO touristey. Towns that aren't visited much are either very friendly and welcoming, or kind of closed off and suspicious, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand