U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Seen the cold white stuff?
Yes 26 72.22%
No 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM

2,577 posts, read 2,441,991 times
Wow an old thread revisited!
Anyway i have seen snow in Australia Europe and Asia, and know from experience i would not want to live anywher near a big city that recevies regular snowfall.
Yes its pretty when falling, and fun when you have free time, however when it turns into a brown slushy mess and you have to get to work on ice covered roads, footpaths and rail lines, its neither pretty nor fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 AM

10,801 posts, read 4,897,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Bridgetown, actually, which is 90 km inland and about 280 metres above sea-level in a valley. Nearby Greenbushes is one of the 'snowiest' towns in the Southwest (in the 1930s 8cm fell there and lasted half a day, according to that website)...
Wow! That's quite a bit. Way more than I expected to hear when you mentioned that it snowed in Bridgetown. I was thinking it'd be a case of a brief flurry where it doesn't stick to the ground longer than a few minutes. At least they had a chance to have some fun with it.

A couple of years ago we spent two days driving through the Blue Mtns. It was early April and we got to some small town, can't remember the name, but it was cold and we had lunch in a hotel - a big old classic country hotel with tall ceilings, lots of wood and coal-burning fireplaces .... anyway, it started to snow! First time I'd seen snow in Oz. Big, fat beautiful flakes. But it didn't stick.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 AM

Default Montreal Car in Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Wow an old thread revisited!
Anyway i have seen snow in Australia Europe and Asia, and know from experience i would not want to live anywher near a big city that recevies regular snowfall.
Yes its pretty when falling, and fun when you have free time, however when it turns into a brown slushy mess and you have to get to work on ice covered roads, footpaths and rail lines, its neither pretty nor fun.
Amen. In big, gritty cities it's actually pretty ugly. I especially hate the way cars look for several months of the year ...

Last edited by Vichel; 08-18-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 AM

Default Vancouver Snow

This isn't much fun either, despite it looking pretty ....

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 AM

2,742 posts, read 2,558,051 times
Well the town I used to live in used to snow at least at least once every 10 years. Over 30 years ago the snow was more frequent and heavier if it fell there. Must be global warming. I live in the great diving range just not so far from Sydney

Last edited by other99; 08-18-2010 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 AM

35 posts, read 53,359 times
Yes I have seen snow. But never in Australia. Thank New Zealand for that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand