Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seen the cold white stuff?
Yes 39 79.59%
No 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 AM

9 posts, read 21,706 times

Advertisements

Once! Sad, isn't it. Plan to move to Canada next year, that will change things Perth(WA) doesnt have snow anywhere despite being the biggest state in Australia. Except for the odd(RARE) sprinkle wayyyy south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 30,168 times
First time I saw snow was in 2002 on a ski trip to Mount Buller and Hotham in Vic and the most recent time was in 2007 when I was living in America and stayed in Michigan, Battle Creek for 4 months and was some of the coldest, thickest snow I've ever been in and Man was it FREEZING! I now live back in Australia with my American husband and it makes me think back in our winter when i whinge about the cold like ahh "you've felt real cold before stop ya whinging" hehehe very pretty for holidays but i'll never live in it again EVER!! My husband lived in Colorado for some of his high school years, originally from Georgia, that man can tell you some crazy snow stories! lol

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 AM

12,248 posts, read 1,263,503 times
I've seen snow many times, I used to live in Tasmania for a few years, and was at Cradle Mountain in 2007 just after that Danish tourist went missing. Think during that year it has to be the thickest snow that I've ever seen. Incidently the tourist was found about one month later frozen to death under the snow.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM

20 posts, read 45,889 times
Nope! It doesn't snow in Perth, WA. Unfortunately.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times
I don't live in Australia but i know it does snow there. There are ski resorts that get natural snowfall there. But they also make a lot of snow.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
I have a hard time understanding most Australian's disappointment.

Between extra car maintenance, snow tires and winter clothing and heating
regular snow and below freezing weather probably increases my cost of living at least $1500 per year.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicolonshiftd View Post
Nope! It doesn't snow in Perth, WA. Unfortunately.
There are very few towns of any size (ie > 10-20,000) that receive snow on a regular basis in Oz.
In NSW, probably only Orange and Armidale can expect a dusting of snow almost on a yearly basis, and to a lesser extent Bathurst, the Blue Mountains and Goulburn-Southern Highlands area.
These towns are all above 700 metres (2300 feet) above sea level, Armidale is 1000 amsl, Orange is 900 amsl.
Armidale, is the highest city in Australia, on the Northern Tablelands or New England area of NSW.
These are outside of the ski "villages" along the NSW-Vic border Snowy Mountains area, which is the only area to be permanently snow covered in winter.
In Victoria, probably only Ballarat is a large town that receives snow on a periodic basis.
It has snowed as far north as Toowoomba, but this is a rare event.
Canberra only receives the occassional dusting,only once in every 10 years or so, the last event being in 2000.
Hence, most of us have never seen snow where we actually live, but have had to travel to see it.
The nearest to me is the Barrington Tops NP (1500 metres above sea level), this receives snow nearly every winter. I have never bothered to drive up there to see it, whereas others have.
Personally I have only seen snow 3 times, twice in the Snowies, and once - patchy snow- at Mt Cannobolas, 1400 metres, just outside Orange NSW.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
There are very few towns of any size (ie > 10-20,000) that receive snow on a regular basis in Oz.
In NSW, probably only Orange and Armidale can expect a dusting of snow almost on a yearly basis, and to a lesser extent Bathurst, the Blue Mountains and Goulburn-Southern Highlands area.
These towns are all above 700 metres (2300 feet) above sea level, Armidale is 1000 amsl, Orange is 900 amsl.
Armidale, is the highest city in Australia, on the Northern Tablelands or New England area of NSW.
These are outside of the ski "villages" along the NSW-Vic border Snowy Mountains area, which is the only area to be permanently snow covered in winter.
In Victoria, probably only Ballarat is a large town that receives snow on a periodic basis.
It has snowed as far north as Toowoomba, but this is a rare event.
Canberra only receives the occassional dusting,only once in every 10 years or so, the last event being in 2000.
Hence, most of us have never seen snow where we actually live, but have had to travel to see it.
The nearest to me is the Barrington Tops NP (1500 metres above sea level), this receives snow nearly every winter. I have never bothered to drive up there to see it, whereas others have.
Personally I have only seen snow 3 times, twice in the Snowies, and once - patchy snow- at Mt Cannobolas, 1400 metres, just outside Orange NSW.
The town I live in has seen snow 3 times, the last time about 55 years ago.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The town I live in has seen snow 3 times, the last time about 55 years ago.
I assume that is at sea-level too?
That is quite amazing.
I was aware of it snowing on the Stirling Ranges near Albany, but they are over 1000 metres. I would imagine towns like Mount Barker would be cold enough to see it more often than most - not sure of its elevation though.
Found it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_B...tern_Australia , 300 metres - only just high enough to be signficant.
Some good Cool Climate wines come out of there too, I might add.

Last edited by Derek40; 08-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I assume that is at sea-level too?
That is quite amazing.
I was aware of it snowing on the Stirling Ranges near Albany, but they are over 1000 metres. I would imagine towns like Mount Barker would be cold enough to see it more often than most - not sure of its elevation though.
Found it - Mount Barker, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , 300 metres - only just high enough to be signficant.
Some good Cool Climate wines come out of there too, I might add.
Bridgetown, actually, which is 90 km inland and about 280 metres above sea-level in a valley. Nearby Greenbushes is one of the 'snowiest' towns in the Southwest (in the 1930s 8cm fell there and lasted half a day, according to that website). It's interesting snowfall reports in the Southwest have been pretty scattered. There have also been reports in the Goldfields near Kalgoorlie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand