U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 AM

4,657 posts, read 5,553,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
That's very Wog!
The thing is my mom's a fair skinned red head with dutch, German and English heritage. She'd look like an old school Aussie. lol

So, I'm half Greek, my wife is Philipino and her grandfather is from Spain, so I guess my 15 month old daughter is a Greekapino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 AM

10,800 posts, read 5,034,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
No we didn't, not in regards to immigration, and not as recent as 36 years ago. Answer me this as honestly as possible: can you ever imagine an aborigine Prime Minister? Honestly?
Depends. If he/she was for Australia - all Australians - I don't see a problem. I certainly wouldn't care about the colour of their skin. But if it's one of the activist, perpetual grievance and blame sort, who needs to drive a wedge between Them and Us then no, they'd be creamed in an election. Who'd want that? Nobody - not the Skips, Wogs, Balts, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, not any of them.

Obama spoke for everyone. People like Mick Dodson, our Australian of the Year, speaks for only Aboriginals, and in a negative, blame whitie forever, woe is us, we can't ever get ahead unless we're on top sticking it to whitie for the past, type of way. That'll never get anyone anywhere, except for Dodson and his type, who thrive on the perpetual grievance industry, so as to have their "jobs", whatever that may be.

Put Noel Pearson on the ticket, and I'd vote for him.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,288,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The thing is my mom's a fair skinned red head with dutch, German and English heritage. She'd look like an old school Aussie. lol

So, I'm half Greek, my wife is Philipino and her grandfather is from Spain, so I guess my 15 month old daughter is a Greekapino.

Your mother sounds very much like me (Minus the red hair ). I'm abit of a "Skip"....I'm Part Dutch and part Welsh.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,288,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Depends. If he/she was for Australia - all Australians - I don't see a problem. I certainly wouldn't care about the colour of their skin. But if it's one of the activist, perpetual grievance and blame sort, who needs to drive a wedge between Them and Us then no, they'd be creamed in an election. Who'd want that? Nobody - not the Skips, Wogs, Balts, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, not any of them.

Obama spoke for everyone. People like Mick Dodson, our Australian of the Year, speaks for only Aboriginals, and in a negative, blame whitie forever, woe is us, we can't ever get ahead unless we're on top sticking it to whitie for the past, type of way. That'll never get anyone anywhere, except for Dodson and his type, who thrive on the perpetual grievance industry, so as to have their "jobs", whatever that may be.

Exactly, we need an Aboriginal who will speak for ALL Australians. Not just HIS people!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Oh boy, the "blame whitey" movement is big business here. Despite Obama claiming he's for everyone, he's appointed Eric Holder as Attorney General and he just gave a really crummy speech about how we're cowards about race; that's codespeak for blame whitey. UGH!! I hear you guys on that one.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM

I just wikied Noel Pearson. He seems pretty cool. As a conservative, personal responsibility and accountability are of utmost importance to me and that's what Pearson seems to be advocating.

The victim, entitlement mentality is what's holding down so many blacks here, and there as well, it seems. it's really a shame.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 AM

10,800 posts, read 5,034,346 times
And it just creates a whole new generation of resentment and racism. I don't want my kids to view Aboriginals negatively. And when we first got here, we did not say a thing in the negative about them. Then my son got mugged in broad daylight, twice in the space of 20 minutes, in the middle of City, called a "White C***". And since then, both my kids have seen enough and heard enough, to make them say 'Hey! Stop blaming and hating, and just get over it!"

It's not like "white" Australia is deliberately holding back Aboriginals. We give them what they want - job opportunities (sometimes to the exclusion of non-Aboriginals), housing, closed communities with royalties from tourism and industry, respect for their spiritual beliefs, special departments to cater just for their needs, etc., etc. Nobody is stopping them from moving forward. We just get so friggin' frustrated at being thumped on the head all the time and told we're horrible. Most genuinely want Aboriginals to stop living in squalor and misery, and stop abusing each other, but it seems like some of them don't. It's got to be a two-way street. But it's not.

Dodson is a race-baiter. Pearson preaches personal responsibility and using the tools and opportunities to get ahead. But unfortunately, Dodson's message is more popular.

So the rest of us just shrug our shoulders and shake our heads in frustration. We do not know what more to do!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
You can't undo the past. Nor can you hold a grudge forever. Having said that it's also a two-way street; a lot of non-Indigenous Australians are civil to Indigenous people, but this seems to have limited results. Some still hold racist views which they've had since Federation. The thing is, you can't change a whole people overnight, who have been stuck in a rut. We need to change one step at a night, but make sure each step is actually taken, not merely glossed over with political rhetoric.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,527,395 times
Australia is behind both the US and Canada in terms of racial tolerance. Of course the US has clear de facto racism and often racial/ ethnic groups do not mix, but considering the country's history & racial dynamic i'd say the openness to change is monumental...Canada is probably the most tolerant and open with less obligation for immigrants to assimiliate into the main culture though there is strong indifference towards that country's indigenous groups...but Australia has always had a certain reputation, and i am glad that i am an Asian-American and not an Asian-Australian...just my thoughts.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Australia is behind both the US and Canada in terms of racial tolerance. Of course the US has clear de facto racism and often racial/ ethnic groups do not mix, but considering the country's history & racial dynamic i'd say the openness to change is monumental...Canada is probably the most tolerant and open with less obligation for immigrants to assimiliate into the main culture though there is strong indifference towards that country's indigenous groups...but Australia has always had a certain reputation, and i am glad that i am an Asian-American and not an Asian-Australian...just my thoughts.
Have you been here? Anything in particular gave you that idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand