Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

[quote=minibrings;7675891]Funny I went to Uni Adelaide with kiwis and south africans and we thought they had funny accents! Actually at times I had some trouble understanding kiwis..

Been to Adelaide once, and couldn't notice a big difference from here in WA. On weird thing not just specific to Adelaide but apparently a Vic/SA thing is the way some people say 'castle' - actually couldn't believe it til' I heard some say it.

I agree on the 'dahnce', 'plahnt' thing: indeed I sometimes interchange pronunciations of dance. Ryan 'Fitzy' Fitzgerald is a good example of a broad South Aussie accent.

Did notice the replacement of 'e' with 'a' by Victorians. Celery becomes like Salary - I definitely don't do that, they sound totally different.

West Aussies do tend to see 'bee-ah', but other than that we're most like SA and Vic, and least like Queensland. I think NSW/Queensland is one group, while WA/Vic and SA are another group.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
West Aussies do tend to see 'bee-ah', but other than that we're most like SA and Vic, and least like Queensland. I think NSW/Queensland is one group, while WA/Vic and SA are another group.
I think South Aussie would cringe at being grouped with Victorians. They are still made that Melbourne "stole" formula racing from Adelaide! And lets not get started on SA jokes made by Victorians.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 150,371 times
How would you compare the 3 for their acceptance of interracial marriage/relationships. I'm African American and my wife is Anglo Australian, here in CA it's very common and we don't even get a ND look or think about much. We were married in the Sydney area, and never had any problems all over NSW even though we stood out.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think South Aussie would cringe at being grouped with Victorians. They are still made that Melbourne "stole" formula racing from Adelaide! And lets not get started on SA jokes made by Victorians.
Well, you know, the drivers found Adelaide so boring they were falling asleep at the wheel. Which is why Perth would never be able to steal the race from anybody.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Well, you know, the drivers found Adelaide so boring they were falling asleep at the wheel. Which is why Perth would never be able to steal the race from anybody.
HA HA HA HA.. I actual hated the Formula race and I hate Clipsal as from where I was living.. I heard all that noise.. and with Clipsal there is nothing more annoying than bogans who have been drinking way too much after a day in the sun... that's when I order pizza delivery and double lock the door.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Back on topic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard some pretty racist comments - both open and behind the back, against both of these groups. Indeed, I've seen downright hostility in some cases. The aborigines too have been the instigators, so there is also racism against whites. It's something not a lot of tourists can appreciate.

Just wondering what those who have had experience in 2 or 3 or these countries have to say about it.
If racism is confined to the definition of "name-calling" and "racist comments", then name me one country on the planet where this does not go on.

Racism when defined as 'institutionalised racism' where access to services, institutions and society is denied certain groups, I don't believe goes on in any Western country. We've stamped that out, by law. In fact, we give preferential treatment to groups viewed as disadvantaged, in order to help them overcome these disadvantages. But it's got to be a two-way street. You have to actively partake of the preferential or easier access in order to bring yourself up out of the disadvantage. If you don't, then I resent it being dumped on "whitie", and made our fault, and viewed as racism on our part.

When these "disadvantaged" groups don't take advantage of the opportunities, it creates resentment. Is that racism? I don't think so. Just exasperation and frustration, which might result in disparaging remarks, or unfair stereotyping of cultural or racial groups. I think just about every Western country has examples of successful people from every racial and cultural group, including Australian Aborigines. I don't believe we actively put up barriers, legal or otherwise, to stop this success.

I've often wondered whether preferential treatment actually disadvantages people, killing their basic human spirit to strive and overcome barriers and hardship. An example - the European, Vietnamese and Chinese refugees of several decades ago. No welfare, no special ethnic councils and advocates, a lot of open and accepted hostility and racial epithets, yet look where they got to. Many Italians, Slavs and Greeks came to dusty, bleak Perth back in the 50's and 60's after spending weeks in refugee camps, and basically told to get on with it. And they did. Converted the hard dry dead soil into amazing market gardens and vineyards. Same can be said for the immigrants to the Mildura region of Victoria. And of course, we can't forget the equal hard work and contributions of very early settlers of Oz from the British Isles.

I don't think we should go back to the harsh, very unsympathetic attitudes and treatment of newcomers during the past century but I still question if we do too much mollycoddling and make too many excuses why people CANNOT do things, versus why they can. I think there are too many do-gooder types who feel self-importance trying to help, when they really are a huge hindrance.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac101964 View Post
How would you compare the 3 for their acceptance of interracial marriage/relationships. I'm African American and my wife is Anglo Australian, here in CA it's very common and we don't even get a ND look or think about much. We were married in the Sydney area, and never had any problems all over NSW even though we stood out.
This is the key word. Had you been aborigine and your wife, white Australian...well, let's just say the reception wouldn't have been as warm. Australians are a pretty honest group, they'll tell you; it's virtually unheard of for a bi-racial couple where one spouse is aborigine and one white. Very, very rare and still socially unacceptable.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This is the key word. Had you been aborigine and your wife, white Australian...well, let's just say the reception wouldn't have been as warm. Australians are a pretty honest group, they'll tell you; it's virtually unheard of for a bi-racial couple where one spouse is aborigine and one white. Very, very rare and still socially unacceptable.
Hmmmm, maybe for some intolerant types any type of mixing with anyone different might be unacceptable, but I doubt most would think this way.

Ernie Dingo's wife is Australian. If it were so socially unacceptable, then wouldn't the doors to his successful career have been shut in his face from the beginning?

If it's rare, is it because Aborigines constitute about 3% of the population, less in some areas? And also due to many preferring to live separate in their own communities, some in closed-to-whites communities? More self-imposed than anything else, I would think.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hmmmm, maybe for some intolerant types any type of mixing with anyone different might be unacceptable, but I doubt most would think this way.

Ernie Dingo's wife is Australian. If it were so socially unacceptable, then wouldn't the doors to his successful career have been shut in his face from the beginning?

If it's rare, is it because Aborigines constitute about 3% of the population, less in some areas? And also due to many preferring to live separate in their own communities, some in closed-to-whites communities? More self-imposed than anything else, I would think.
I respect your answer, I just honestly don't believe that it's the prevailing one. Heres a tough question, and I ask that you be as candid as possible: Would you be okay with your son or daughter dating an aborigine? Thanks

Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I respect your answer, I just honestly don't believe that it's the prevailing one.
Then how do you explain less than 10% of Aboriginals in Oz are full-blood? Obviously a whole lotta mixin' goin' on.

Quote:
Heres a tough question, and I ask that you be as candid as possible: Would you be okay with your son or daughter dating an aborigine? Thanks
Would be fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand