Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times

Advertisements

World News Australia - At least 84 dead in Victorian bushfires

I'm lucky. That a fire caused by a lightning strike on my property a couple of days ago, Went out fairly quickly.

I feel for those who have lost everything (Even their lives).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,749 times
I wish all those, who survived, the best of luck rebuilding their lives!
R.I.P. to those who couldn't make it. >_<

Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Prayers go out too all that are effected.........

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Prayers go out too all that are effected.........
Same here That is just horrible - we have friends in Melbourne we are waiting for word on.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
So very sorry about all of the fires in your country. Our news just reported at least 108 have lost their lives, and over 700 homes destroyed. Some are reporting that some of the fires have been caused by arson. Shame on whomever did this.

Our prayers and thoughts are with y'all from us here in Missouri, U.S.A. Please take care. I detest brush fires and have witnessed the devastation first hand in a few states.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone. Yes, it is indeed just horrendous. We're over on the other side of the country but we feel the anguish and the grief of our fellow Australians in Victoria. Our News this evening had a special report on the tragedies and I almost wished I hadn't watched it. So painful to see the loss etched on people's faces. Some had lost loved ones, not just their homes. So uncomfortable to see ordinary, decent people suffer so. God Bless.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
The death toll is still rising. It's apparently up to 134 deaths now? and the police say that It may go higher still? As they report on the discovery of more bodies.

I tip my hat, To all the members of the Victorian CFA (Country Fire Authority) and members other state fire services, Who have been bravely fighting this.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Yes, it's beyond belief what the firies are doing to fight those fires. Superhuman. They're out in country areas with little or no easy access to water. Putting in 2 and 3 shifts back to back. The News tonight had a special report on the fires and it really hit hard seeing the devastation and hearing the brutally personal stories from those who just barely escaped. One man said the fire was like a tornado, howling and screaming. The Fires of Hell, literally. My parents are near Melbourne and I've been trying to convince them to hop on the next flight (I'll pay!) out here to Perth so they can get a break from having to constantly smell and breathe smoke. It's a constant reminder of the horror of the fires. But they stubbornly insist on staying. They're very likely perfectly safe but I'd just feel better them being here. You just don't know. Things can turn so suddenly.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
It has been quite emotional to watch and read what is happening over there...

My prayers to those in danger and to those who have lost all.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, it's beyond belief what the firies are doing to fight those fires. Superhuman. They're out in country areas with little or no easy access to water. Putting in 2 and 3 shifts back to back. The News tonight had a special report on the fires and it really hit hard seeing the devastation and hearing the brutally personal stories from those who just barely escaped. One man said the fire was like a tornado, howling and screaming. The Fires of Hell, literally. My parents are near Melbourne and I've been trying to convince them to hop on the next flight (I'll pay!) out here to Perth so they can get a break from having to constantly smell and breathe smoke. It's a constant reminder of the horror of the fires. But they stubbornly insist on staying. They're very likely perfectly safe but I'd just feel better them being here. You just don't know. Things can turn so suddenly.
Can you talk them into going to at least Hobart for a few days? Breathing that smoke for extended periods.... not good. I had trouble living in NYC after 9/11 from the smoke and chemicals that were burning downtown, my asthma was almost as bad as when I'm back in Oz (gum tree allergy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand