U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,452,115 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of Australian country-music singer "Jamie O'Neal?"

She had some hits here in the late 1990's or early 2000's like "There is no Arizona" and "When I think about angels."
I've got that CD, actually.
Excellent singing-voice, very pretty too...
too bad she didn't come up with any more new material. (or if she did, that it didn't do well?)

*Just wanted to know if she had much fame in Oz, or like quite a few celebrities who mostly become famous in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM

339 posts, read 807,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well as you know if he's doing well he's Aussie, if it ever turns out that he stuffed up, he's kiwi!

If we're going to talk sportsmen and women, then I'd say Jim Stynes is pretty cool and I can't be bothered with footy at all.

Yeah, Cate is awesome! Personally my favorite "celebrity" is Magda though.

You know, I thought of Germaine but didn't really want to get involved in the controversy of mentioning her. AND let's face it anytime someone mentions her there's controversy. She has done some pretty amazing things but I'm not sure that will be remembered now she's become a crusty upper class Pom.
Ooohhh, I said Ms. Greer as a wind-up, but maybe I shouldn't have!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM

9,096 posts, read 12,438,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
If your going to have Karl, Then you have to have "Koshie" or "Dicko"?

My picks for greatest aussies.

* Edmund Barton
* Albert Namatjira
Albert Namatjira! Good one. Poor guy though.. at one point, due to his wealth, he was humbugging a lot of rellies (around 500 or more).

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,259,105 times
Quote:
What happened to Victor?
I deleted his name. Victor Chang was born Chang Yam Him in Shanghai China.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 PM

339 posts, read 807,908 times
Quote:
I was wondering though, did you exclude him only because he wasn't born in Australia? I reckon he should be included because Australia was his adopted home and he contributed great things.

Since Oz is essentially a nation largely made up of immigrants, I think you have to include those who were citizens and adopted australia as their home?

But you still can't have Fred! Or Crowded House.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,088,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
I was wondering though, did you exclude him only because he wasn't born in Australia? I reckon he should be included because Australia was his adopted home and he contributed great things.

Since Oz is essentially a nation largely made up of immigrants, I think you have to include those who were citizens and adopted australia as their home?

Most of our best known musicians and actors weren't born in Australia. Without them, you'd have to take away:

AC/DC
Easybeats
Crowded House
Cold Chisel
Men at Work
even INXS
Olivia Newton John
John Farnham

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

My mistake.

I just thought this thread was only for those Australian who were born here and Thats why I deleted so many...I had a larger list originally.

If thats not the case? Then Yes he should be included, As well as many other migrants who have contributed to this country.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-02-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM

9,925 posts, read 8,837,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Has anyone heard of Australian country-music singer "Jamie O'Neal?"

She had some hits here in the late 1990's or early 2000's like "There is no Arizona" and "When I think about angels."
I've got that CD, actually.
Excellent singing-voice, very pretty too...
too bad she didn't come up with any more new material. (or if she did, that it didn't do well?)

*Just wanted to know if she had much fame in Oz, or like quite a few celebrities who mostly become famous in other countries.
Never heard of her. Sorry.
Speaking of never heard of in their own country, do you know Wendy Matthews? Sounds like we swapped you Jamie O'Neal for Wendy.

Quote:
Ooohhh, I said Ms. Greer as a wind-up, but maybe I shouldn't have!
Well she might be a crazy old harradin now but she did make a huge impact in her day. Changed a lot of thinking......and then changed it back again!

Quote:
Pfft! We don't care about that!! Victor is an outstanding Aussie.

Quote:
Wasn't Paul Hester born in Melbourne?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,263,967 times
Quote:
She hasn't really shown any of her acting talent since maybe that movie about the news reader and possibly Moulin Rouge.
She may have grown up here but she was born in America and has spent a greater part of her life in America.
Being born here has everything to do with it OR gaining Australian citizenship and contributing to the country. I see her doing very little of that.
Like I said, she's alright, but she's not even in the league of our Greatest Australians.
But she was raised in Sydney, and her parents are Australian. I dont think being born somehwere means anything

I know someone who was born in NYC, but as a small child moved to Georgia. They are definitely not a New Yorker

Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM

What about?

* John Simpson Kirkpatrick
* Ernest Giles
* Robert O'Hara Burke And William John Wills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand