U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM

58 posts, read 53,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hard not to notice it. I think it was the second night we were in our house in Perth, when there was an unholy racket coming from the road. Rushing out our front door, we saw, through a large cloud of acrid black smoke, a car going round and round in the t-intersection just down the road. Not having any experience with this sort of occurrence in a residential area, I thought the poor driver's accelerator was stuck or something. I was actually a bit frightened. But then he stopped and roared off at tremendous speed up the road, to do it again at the next t-intersection. And the next.

And this was not a one-off event either. Not in my street, not in most people's. I lived in Canada for 25 years and never saw or heard this sort of thing going on, only out in industrial areas at night. Not that, nor the burn outs on people's lawns, the tossing of beer bottles out car windows, the deliberate knocking down of street signs and mailboxes. It's just part and parcel of the aggro Aussie culture. Which I cringe at. But then that makes me a "wowser" apparently because this is just "larrikinism" so "she'll be right" and "f*** off if you don't like it mate!"
How infuriating Vichel Yes, I think this behaviour is fairly endemic across Aus but I think it's mainly youth-related. The same thing happens here episodically. Not every weekend, but quite often we are awakened in the middle of the night by such unholy racket. There are several roundabout intersections on the road we live off, so they start at one and work their way up. The roundabouts are absolutely covered in black tyre marks. I have also witnessed these hoons doing 'donuts' on the roudabouts while other younger kids stand on the corner and marvel.

I think that it has something to do with showing off to your mates, but also in our town it may be that the younger men don't have much to focus their energy on beyond getting their P plates and driving around. Bending street signs and smashing out the street lights is another popular activity in our neighbourhood.

I have also called the police twice using the '1800 No Hoon' number, which put me through to our local police station. They said they would send a patrol by to check it out but by the time they got there, everyone had cleared off.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,730,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
How infuriating Vichel Yes, I think this behaviour is fairly endemic across Aus but I think it's mainly youth-related. The same thing happens here episodically. Not every weekend, but quite often we are awakened in the middle of the night by such unholy racket. There are several roundabout intersections on the road we live off, so they start at one and work their way up. The roundabouts are absolutely covered in black tyre marks. I have also witnessed these hoons doing 'donuts' on the roudabouts while other younger kids stand on the corner and marvel.

I think that it has something to do with showing off to your mates, but also in our town it may be that the younger men don't have much to focus their energy on beyond getting their P plates and driving around. Bending street signs and smashing out the street lights is another popular activity in our neighbourhood.

I have also called the police twice using the '1800 No Hoon' number, which put me through to our local police station. They said they would send a patrol by to check it out but by the time they got there, everyone had cleared off.
Yeah it's another thing that can't be changed by being all heavy handed, it's all about this sub-culture of hooning and young people needing outlets for boredom, frustration etc. I like the idea of having designated race-tracks/areas for those 'enthusiasts' that don't cost like $50 a lap. Typical Australia, anything actually fun costs you an arm and a leg. I don't think it would be hard to set up. Could build a racetrack, obstacle course, a mock 'neighbourhood' where the hoons could do as they please. Wouldn't be a magic bullet but would be something in the right direction. I can understand them, I mean if you have this super powered car you're gonna wanna see what it can do. Most of us have been there. But yeah, hooning is not always an isolated problem, and sometimes is associated with that element of petty crime.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 53,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah it's another thing that can't be changed by being all heavy handed, it's all about this sub-culture of hooning and young people needing outlets for boredom, frustration etc. I like the idea of having designated race-tracks/areas for those 'enthusiasts' that don't cost like $50 a lap. Typical Australia, anything actually fun costs you an arm and a leg. I don't think it would be hard to set up. Could build a racetrack, obstacle course, a mock 'neighbourhood' where the hoons could do as they please. Wouldn't be a magic bullet but would be something in the right direction. I can understand them, I mean if you have this super powered car you're gonna wanna see what it can do. Most of us have been there. But yeah, hooning is not always an isolated problem, and sometimes is associated with that element of petty crime.
That's a great idea Trimac20! We need the equivalent of a skate park except for hoons lol Or maybe the road authorities etc could arrange supervised 'open driver days' for young drivers on racetracks like Sandown where they could have a go with their own cars and get it out of their system. But also promote safe driving practices. Maybe such a thing already exists??

I actually think that a heavy-handed approach is needed and may work (impounding, restrictions on P platers driving high powered cars) but the problem is really one of policing and enforcement.

Anyway I think I've got a bit off thread topic

Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM

9,718 posts, read 12,479,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
That's a great idea Trimac20! We need the equivalent of a skate park except for hoons lol Or maybe the road authorities etc could arrange supervised 'open driver days' for young drivers on racetracks like Sandown where they could have a go with their own cars and get it out of their system. But also promote safe driving practices. Maybe such a thing already exists??

I actually think that a heavy-handed approach is needed and may work (impounding, restrictions on P platers driving high powered cars) but the problem is really one of policing and enforcement.

Anyway I think I've got a bit off thread topic
It already exists and it's called "track days" where you can use your personal car.

However, there are rules because they can't just have people flying off in all directions, hitting other cars, going reverse track direction, etc.

Several drag racing tracks do the same thing in Australia.

Being a high performance driving instructor and race car driver, the idea of setting up an area where people can do whenever, wherever, sounds good, but just invites more chaos and is very dangerous. 3000 pound cars at speed are not skateboards.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 5,039,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It already exists and it's called "track days" where you can use your personal car.

However, there are rules because they can't just have people flying off in all directions, hitting other cars, going reverse track direction, etc.

Several drag racing tracks do the same thing in Australia.

Being a high performance driving instructor and race car driver, the idea of setting up an area where people can do whenever, wherever, sounds good, but just invites more chaos and is very dangerous. 3000 pound cars at speed are not skateboards.
For Aussies, every day is Track Day and every street is a track.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,613,823 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep
There are several roundabout intersections on the road we live off, so they start at one and work their way up. The roundabouts are absolutely covered in black tyre marks. I have also witnessed these hoons doing 'donuts' on the roudabouts while other younger kids stand on the corner and marvel.
How much do tyres cost?
Sounds like some hoons go through set at least once a month.
$50/lap is probably not that bad, relative to their annual tyre expenses.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,378,391 times
And all this has what to do with the original thread topic, folks?

Let's try and stay on topic, pleae

Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Hmmm, now what were we talking about again?

Sorry, Cornerguy, I guess it's like when you're sitting around with friends, talking about a subject, then it goes off in tangents and you end up on subjects wildly off track .... just like this

Back to the question of what we think of Yanks .... I like the Americans I'm coming across here in San Diego. Always have. Great vibe here. Far majority of people are pretty mellow and cool and relaxed.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,730,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hmmm, now what were we talking about again?

Sorry, Cornerguy, I guess it's like when you're sitting around with friends, talking about a subject, then it goes off in tangents and you end up on subjects wildly off track .... just like this

Back to the question of what we think of Yanks .... I like the Americans I'm coming across here in San Diego. Always have. Great vibe here. Far majority of people are pretty mellow and cool and relaxed.
Do you notice a difference between San Diego people and those from LA or other more urbane parts of the country?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Do you notice a difference between San Diego people and those from LA or other more urbane parts of the country?
Yes. I notice a lot more noticeable differences in the American people and cities than in Australia. I find San Diego has more of a relaxed beach culture vibe to it. More laid-back than much of Oz, imo. And different parts of SD have a different feel to other areas, like most cities do. Quite an interesting diversity of people from all over the country and world here. As well as a lot of counter-culture types, old hippies, artistic and creative people, etc. I really like it here, always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand