Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
EXCUSE ME. Bugger off! I was not referring to you.. why do you need to make everything about you? I have no idea what you are going on and on about and you do NOT need to explain anything to me!

If you re-read my post I was referring to the web sites I have seen (e.g., notcanada.com) where you will read immigrants whinge about Canada yet are waiting to get CN citizenship so they can get a NAFTA visa to the US. NZ upped their residency from 3 to 5 years to curtail immigrants using NZ as a back door to Oz. I've personally met Sri Lankan, Iranian and Bangladeshi students in Oz who TOLD ME they wanted to apply for PR and get Aussie passports so they could travel the world much easier (no need for all the upfront visas). One of them wanted an Aussie passport as a backdoor to the US (work visa for Aussies or for the green card lottery).

I repeat, and if you do not understand, its your problem, I am NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, I am talking about these web sites and people I've met. I will NOT discuss this with you further and you do not need to explain anything further.
I dont know what you are talking about either.

I was trying to clear your misconception regarding "getting a visa that allows you to migrate" and "actually migrating".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
I dont know what you are talking about either.

I was trying to clear your misconception regarding "getting a visa that allows you to migrate" and "actually migrating".
If you don't mind me asking, how did that bn 136 visa work out for you and how difficult was it to get?

With my situation I'd still like the option of being able to come back to the USA for work as I have a very specialized career which is contracting/consulting/working on different projects.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yup and in this case you get to see if you are actually better in Oz, with your condition than back home. I can tell you my allergies are surprisingly much better in North America. In Adelaide I was buying 2 inhalers a month or more, in North America I have put away the inhalers and steroids. Of course this could be different if I were in another locale - a friend spends hundreds of dollars a month for asthma medication in Florida.

As for Oz cuisine.. be prepared. Fish and chips. Curries. Schnitzel. Burgers with egg and beetroot. Meat pies. Good stuff. And you have to try a roo steak at least once.

Have you contacted this agency in Oz about your visa options? Laws do change and they should be the most up to date.

Again, the try before you buy thing.. good idea.
I do have mild late summer allergies, but no spring allergies. Even if I had bad allergies year round, I'd still prefer somewhere warm because it's ridiculous how sensitive my extremeties are to cold usually.

On a -15 C day when i forgot my water bottle, I walked to my car out of my gyms shower in a tank top, shorts and shoes with damp hair and damp beard, but dry hands. (damp from the neck up) My fingers were too cold almost instantly, my ear tips were next, about 1 minute later, just shortly before stepping back inside. The rest of my was fine and acclimatized to nasty winter extremes. *But what's the point of getting "acclimatized" if one's fingers remain 10,000 times more sensitive to cold.

Do they sell "clam and chips"?
I love curries if they are hot.
Schnitzel too.

They told me that what they use are these temporary skilled-work permits.
I suppose if most of their clients want to have permanent staff, some company is probably willing to help with the immigration afterwards.
(as this agency looks after the temporary work permits)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how did that bn 136 visa work out for you and how difficult was it to get?

With my situation I'd still like the option of being able to come back to the USA for work as I have a very specialized career which is contracting/consulting/working on different projects.
Sure, the BN-136 is also known as a Skilled Independent visa.
What you need is to get your educational qualifications and work experience approved from DIMIA.
Once that is approved, they ask you to get a medical checkup done.
As long as you dont show any signs of Tuberculosis, you are pass the medical examination, and receive the visa.
This visa allows you to go and live/work/do whatever in Australia.

I did my homework before applying, and it took me 3 and a half months to get the visa. (I had 6 years of work experience before applying)
After landing in Australia, I got my first interview call after 4 days and started working on the 10th day. (I was a software engineer at that time).

So overall it worked out fine, I wanted to experience Australia and I got to without any restrictions.
After 3 years I decided to move to the US and thats where I am now.

I have worked in quite a few countries just to see the world, some places less than 6 months.
My next destination is Dubai/Europe, haven't decided yet which one first.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Sure, the BN-136 is also known as a Skilled Independent visa.
What you need is to get your educational qualifications and work experience approved from DIMIA.
Once that is approved, they ask you to get a medical checkup done.
As long as you dont show any signs of Tuberculosis, you are pass the medical examination, and receive the visa.
This visa allows you to go and live/work/do whatever in Australia.

I did my homework before applying, and it took me 3 and a half months to get the visa. (I had 6 years of work experience before applying)
After landing in Australia, I got my first interview call after 4 days and started working on the 10th day. (I was a software engineer at that time).

So overall it worked out fine, I wanted to experience Australia and I got to without any restrictions.
After 3 years I decided to move to the US and thats where I am now.

I have worked in quite a few countries just to see the world, some places less than 6 months.
My next destination is Dubai/Europe, haven't decided yet which one first.
Thanks for taking the time to answer that. I'll keep that visa in mind as that would seem to fit me quite well.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Some things to consider. Australia's unemployment just jumped from 4.8 to 5.2 and some say Oz would be lucky not to be in the 7.0 range this year.

Jobless figures to be revised after surge | The Australian
Turnbull hardens IR stance | The Australian

They count part-timers as being employed, if not the numbers would be higher.

So it may not be a good time to go to Oz for work with so many Aussies looking for work.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Is it easier to get citizenship than try to get a visa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand