U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 AM

442 posts, read 1,042,852 times

Advertisements

What is it like for blacks living in Australia? Is racism as big of a problem there as it is in the U.S.? What is it like living in Australia in general as far as jobs,things to do, housing, church (Hillsong preferably), etc. Is it hard for an american to move to Sidney?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM

30 posts, read 93,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
What is it like for blacks living in Australia? Is racism as big of a problem there as it is in the U.S.? What is it like living in Australia in general as far as jobs,things to do, housing, church (Hillsong preferably), etc. Is it hard for an american to move to Sidney?
Hello brit3218, search for a thread from last year called "African-American visiting Gold Coast, Australia. Allot of opinions in there. I'm an African American who has never lived there but has visited about 10 times over the last 20 years. I really like the country and plan to move there soon.

I would say that like other places if you're respectful to others you won't have any problems.. You will stand out there because the African population is low, but I didn't feel uncomfortable or even think about it much actually, and was treated very nice on every visit. Of course you can always find idiots in any country who may not like you just because you are different. I can't tell you what's it's like to live there permanently but I plant to be there in a house on the beach this year !!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:36 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I find the racism here is a bit different; probably a bit more 'joking' and light-hearted, which is not to excuse racism. We don't have much experience with African Americans, but I notice a lot more Africans around these days, most are of course decent people, although some people are a bit wary of them because they hang out in gangs and can be more forward than people are used to in Australian countries. E.g. openly flirting with girls etc, which some older people especially are wary of. But no, I don't see it being a big problem at all. As an American though, you'll have other issues to worry about.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 118,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
But no, I don't see it being a big problem at all. As an American though, you'll have other issues to worry about.
Hello, what are the other issues?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:45 PM

567 posts, read 966,962 times
Blacks talk about racism in America, you should see racism in the rest of the world. As an African American male who traveled to numerous countries; the only thing that stop me from being discriminated against was the fact that I'm American.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 PM

177 posts, read 271,587 times
Annerley in Brisbane has a large African community. I know this because my cousin lives in Annerley and I go up to Brisbane a few times a year for work. They are usually very happy and friendly people. Many of them have jobs. They're generally accepted. Of course you'll find the usual loudmouthed bogan drongo but they're in the minority. In Sydney, can be found around (no pun intended) Blacktown.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM

3,657 posts, read 4,644,060 times
I am a black female and I had no problems at all. The only thing I can think of was one small comment I overheard but it was regarding "Americans".
Besides that, I noticed very few blacks, so I may have stood out because of that. I would say I saw maybe 5 blacks in Sydney! But I did not feel uncomfortable at all and found Aussies to be very welcoming and friendly.
Enjoy your time there! I'm jealous! ha! ha!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM

9,097 posts, read 12,592,087 times
You should have no worries as an African-American in Oz. In Adelaide we had quite a few Africans living in the city outskirts.

What you will find as an American, is people will on very rare occasion will take the pis$$ out (tease) you for being a yank but it will all be in good fun.. just have a sense of humour and throw it back at them. Or just tell people you're Canadian.. LOL..

Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 118,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I am a black female and I had no problems at all. The only thing I can think of was one small comment I overheard but it was regarding "Americans".
Besides that, I noticed very few blacks, so I may have stood out because of that. I would say I saw maybe 5 blacks in Sydney! But I did not feel uncomfortable at all and found Aussies to be very welcoming and friendly.
Enjoy your time there! I'm jealous! ha! ha!
I found it very welcoming and friendly as well. I haven't been back since 2003.. When were you there?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

38 posts, read 164,083 times
I can't comment on how they are living here as i don't really know any blacks but africans are generally well accepted, i think they are pretty much treated like everyone else. I think Indians have a bit harder time in regards to safety as they are easier targets (this is just fact -- i'm not being racist). there was a recent article as there is an issue with the safety of indian students in melbourne and the police advise them to not speak in their native tongue as it identifies a weakness, yet they don't warn africans or any other foreigners of the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.