Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

"Country town pub patrons"...
You're talking about Australia, not Lousiana, right?
Yep..I think one too many city folk have strolled into said pub/all-purpose store humming "Duelling Banjos" to be welcomed with open arms nowadays. We're renting a place in a lovely small village; I often sit on the porch, glaring at daytrippers who drive past in cars loaded up with kayaks and stuff; I dont have a rifle across my knee yet but figured I may as well fulfill their expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
But is the exact opposite of the Toronto Area where you can sense interactions with strangers have to be "planned"
and degrees of risk "calculated", then "plugged into a formula" to have a pleasant conversation among fellow androids.
(you could assume it's like this 90+% of the time in the Toronto Area; too much caution, way too much caution. )
You've just given a great snapshot of my experience of Sydney nightlife. Heck, daylife even. Let's all meet on Frenchmen St in NOLA to beeyatch about those 'droids back home!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yep..I think one too many city folk have strolled into said pub/all-purpose store humming "Duelling Banjos" to be welcomed with open arms nowadays.

We're renting a place in a lovely small village; I often sit on the porch, glaring at daytrippers who drive past in cars loaded up with kayaks and stuff; I dont have a rifle across my knee yet but figured I may as well fulfill their expectations.
Too much tourism perhaps too?
(arriving with stereotypes of Crocodile Dundee or Croc Hunter)

I could see myself doing that, growing a beard in the winter, and maybe a cork-hat for the flies in summer. If I drink beer, it will be in a "can cozy" (insulator) too; to keep my fingers from getting to cold. For effect, I could buy a large knife to use as a can or bottle opener.

*In reality, I WILL be at least wearing broad-brimmed hats regularly, letting my hair get shaggier for winter and still using bottle or can insulators.
(my fingers suck for cold) I suppose this by itself might make me look partially like a stereotypical "bushman",
which would be fine by me anyways.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You've just given a great snapshot of my experience of Sydney nightlife. Heck, daylife even. Let's all meet on Frenchmen St in NOLA to beeyatch about those 'droids back home!
Wow, Sydney doens't sound too promising either.
That could be fun, meeting up in NOLA.

Given this, do you think I'd find most Australian cities nicer Sydney, in the nightlife/daylife department?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-08-2009 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Hm, I dont like to generalize (doesnt stop me though!), especially with someone I havent met, but from what you've written on here, I think Melbourne might be more agreeable to you than Sydney. It's a lot more civilized at night ...and during the day for that matter. Yes it's cold, but Sydney is not exactly tropical right now. I'd type more but have to go defrost my fingers.
If you WERE planning a visit to Oz though, you might as well visit Sydney. I'm sure we could show you a fine time! I mean, we have to make the best of it while we live here, but you'd also have to come with us to dear old Bellbrook. (The aforementioned village). I'm sure they'll be fiiiine with a cork hat and loud 'G'DAY MATES'!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Hm, I dont like to generalize (doesnt stop me though!), especially with someone I havent met, but from what you've written on here, I think Melbourne might be more agreeable to you than Sydney. It's a lot more civilized at night ...and during the day for that matter. Yes it's cold, but Sydney is not exactly tropical right now. I'd type more but have to go defrost my fingers.
If you WERE planning a visit to Oz though, you might as well visit Sydney. I'm sure we could show you a fine time! I mean, we have to make the best of it while we live here, but you'd also have to come with us to dear old Bellbrook. (The aforementioned village). I'm sure they'll be fiiiine with a cork hat and loud 'G'DAY MATES'!
Well it sounds like Melbourne should be on my "to do" list of places to visit, if I'm ever in Australia.

But I might be able to get a 12 month contract in several locations throughout Australia... I'm thinking I'll probably want to live and work somewhere with winters at least as mild as Sydney's; though Sydney sounds like it might be too crowded for my tastes, so I'm leaning towards tropical parts, Brisbane and maybe Perth.

Do you live in the Sydney area?
"...I mean, we have to make the best of it while we live here,..."

Bellbrook? Is that in NSW?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM

We live in Darling Point, which is inner-city east, about 3kms from the city center.
Google Maps

Bellbrook is a heritage listed village, about 500 kms northwest of sydney. We have some land up there, photos of which are in my profile. We're up there most weekends. The nightlife there is .....quiet, to say the least, and tends to center around the pub. Funny that.
Google Maps

Sydney *is* crowded, but you'd have to expect that in any large city. Heck, I even found Adelaide crowded. Too many people and not enough space. I think Qld would suit you more long term. I don't really like large cities anymore, but you have to make a living somehow.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Sorry, the google links don't seem to want to leave the U.S.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We live in Darling Point, which is inner-city east, about 3kms from the city center.
Google Maps

Bellbrook is a heritage listed village, about 500 kms northwest of sydney. We have some land up there, photos of which are in my profile. We're up there most weekends. The nightlife there is .....quiet, to say the least, and tends to center around the pub. Funny that.
Google Maps

Sydney *is* crowded, but you'd have to expect that in any large city. Heck, I even found Adelaide crowded. Too many people and not enough space. I think Qld would suit you more long term. I don't really like large cities anymore, but you have to make a living somehow.
Nice... right on the bay/harbour.

Even better, north of Port Macquerie.
Looks like it might be a short drive to a northern NSW beach.

There are some things get my general interest about Sydney.
I do like the extra options large cities have, but I do not like the idea of "finding parking at the beach is impossible," terrible gridlock and accompanying "road rage" or paying through the nose for rent. (though the last one could happen anywhere in Oz) The work I do, I don't "need" to be in a large city to be busy.

Oddly enough,
The city I live in already has "2125-people-per-square-kilometre", and though Toronto has closer to 5000/sq.km,
Sydney, the densest Australian city also "only" has a density of about 2200/sq.km.
Most of the other major Aussie cities I checked out had roughly 1000/sq.km density;
notable exceptions were Melbourne around 1500/sq.km (still better than Sydney)
and Perth at a jaw-dropping 285/sq.km.

*Did they take into account the massively-broad Swan River into their stats, which might skew Perth's population density?

The main thing that concerns me with "high density living" is how the infrastructure is set up to deal with it,
and the accompanying mindsets reflected by it in the people who live there...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-08-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, the google links don't seem to want to leave the U.S.
I plugged them in and added "NSW."
No worries mate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand