Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

^ I'm not sure how they calculate population density: if it's over the metro area, those stats are misleading because alot of the Perth Metropolitan Statistical Division is farmland or forest. Suburban and inner city densities throughout Australia are similar; Perth's low CBD density (rapidly increasing) was always low because it was mostly commercial/financial instead of residential. Perth feels almost as dense as Melbourne imo, but Sydney feels noticeably denser. The Gold Coast would be the densest residential part of Australia, outside high rise communities like the Docklands in Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I would assume Sydney does, since it's the cultural and economic hub of Australia.
Where is MOON?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
...and Perth at a jaw-dropping 285/sq.km

*Did they take into account the massively-broad Swan River into their stats, which might skew Perth's population density? ...
No, it's because Perth's housing is predominantly single-family. Apartment living has been slow to take off here. Many sneer at them as "dog-boxes" with most having the goal of owning their own single-family home. The few higher-density housing they are building are not very tall and are very expensive. Perth is vast tracts of suburbia, spreading out north, south and east. Block (lot) sizes are getting smaller though.

The CBD (downtown) is tiny. When you look at our downtown skyline most people ask "Is that it?". Very small. We're barely over a million people. A big country town. In more ways than one.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

The CBD (downtown) is tiny. When you look at our downtown skyline most people ask "Is that it?". Very small. We're barely over a million people. A big country town. In more ways than one.
At least they can see it. Adel-brain is really invisible..if we fly in at night, there's no way we can sort it out from the lights of sub-bore-bia.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
At least they can see it. Adel-brain is really invisible..if we fly in at night, there's no way we can sort it out from the lights of sub-bore-bia.
Well Jacqs one should get an eye exam once a year..

http://www.australasianmasters.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Tourism_Images/Adelaide_Skyline.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times

Well, I do wear glasses, but if it weren't for the squished down "Opera House" you'd be struggling I reckon. Seriously, last flight in, all I heard (and my hearing is FINE thanks mini) was "is that it"??? "where?? oh, THAT??"
At least, I hope they were talking about the scenery on the ground....I mean, there's not a lot of room in those seats.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
No, it's because Perth's housing is predominantly single-family. Apartment living has been slow to take off here. Many sneer at them as "dog-boxes" with most having the goal of owning their own single-family home. The few higher-density housing they are building are not very tall and are very expensive. Perth is vast tracts of suburbia, spreading out north, south and east. Block (lot) sizes are getting smaller though.

You wouldn't know that - those apartment blocks are sprouting up here like bamboo! My friend used to live in East Perth and it seemed more than half the people there were students, tourists or people here on business.

But yes, even among the young there's a preference for single houses. Our skyline is actually not bad for how big we are - compare it to similar cities around the world, our skyline is actually more spectacular than most cities in Europe, especially with the river and all. The CBD itself though IS disappointingly small; even Adelaide is better.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You wouldn't know that - those apartment blocks are sprouting up here like bamboo! My friend used to live in East Perth and it seemed more than half the people there were students, tourists or people here on business.
Yeah, I used to live in East Perth too. In an 8-storey building, the highest around. Full of, like you said, students, tourists and business people. Not the same as real HIGH-density apartment living where the vast majority are actual residents and you get a sense of community. Too much transience.

Most of East Perth is townhouses and low-density type living. And very expensive. People here don't like high-density areas but the problem with that thinking is that these great places in a central part of the city end up being closed off to all but the very rich. So East Perth, great location, but because the density is so restricted, only those able to afford $700k and up can live there. Put a bunch of high-rises there, and more can afford to live there. Plus, liven the place up more. Give it some grit and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
But yes, even among the young there's a preference for single houses.
Coz there's nowhere to move out to. No funky fun apartment living. When I lived in Vancouver, I moved out to a shared apartment in the West End where I could walk to work and all sorts of amenities and shopping. It was great. No such opportunities here. You have to get together with 2, 3 mates of yours and hope to find some landlord to rent their 3 or 4 bedroom house to you. Good luck with that! And how boring for a young person to live out in the middle of bland, boring suburbia instead of some fun, happening part of town.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post

Well, I do wear glasses, but if it weren't for the squished down "Opera House" you'd be struggling I reckon. Seriously, last flight in, all I heard (and my hearing is FINE thanks mini) was "is that it"??? "where?? oh, THAT??"
At least, I hope they were talking about the scenery on the ground....I mean, there's not a lot of room in those seats.

YouTube - Qantas Landing in Adelaide

Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Where is MOON?
Watching quietly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand