Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,803,323 times

Advertisements

For those Australians who have made to move, or lived in the United States...I'm curious, what were some of the things you found hardest to adapt to? Maybe a lack of vegemite? lol (won't be a problem for me! ). Did the accent take time to get used to? What about things you found easiest to adapt to? I know the auto-based society/shopping malls etc for one.

What about their treatment of you...especially those of the opposite sex, lol, jk...do Americans tend to treat you as a curiosity if you're different? Course it would vary from person to person and from region to region.

I'm very serious about moving to the US, hope to move to the New England region or NYC in a couple of years and stay there 3-5 years, depending on how I find it. Are some areas better than others to move to?

Opinions/stories welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,592,713 times
As part of my former job I actually used to be responsible for helping around 100+ aussies every year get trained for a job and get adjusted to living in the USA. Overall our cultures are not dissimilar enough that Australians have a difficult time getting adjusted and also Americans probably have a higher opinion of Australians than any other nationality so there is no problem with acceptance by most people. You mentioned the auto based society/shopping malls. Honestly I don't think there is much difference except more stores and selection available in malls. If you are familiar with the "Westfield" brand on malls, they are very active here in the USA as well. Also if you are single and looking you'll probably attract some interest due to the accent.

Of anything I noticed from helping getting these aussies adjusted was the following:

1. too much reliance on tv shows that had formed an unrealistic impression of who and what Americans are.
2. Lack of understanding of the huge regional, lingual and cultural differences across the 50 states.
3. Little understanding of our culture in the USA of "tipping" in restaurants or for personal services such as haircuts.
4. Getting adjusted to driving on the other side of the road. Some can pick it up naturally, others it takes a while to get counter clockwise going in their brain. Not to mention hitting the windshield wipers when looking for the turn signal.

We actually did surveys sometimes at the end of their work and time here in the USA not to mention my own personal talks with many of them and of a vast majority of the aussies, they enjoyed their time in the USA and many would come back several times. Some even ended up here permanently. There were usually some that did not like it here in the USA and had a hard time adjusting and the common thread there was they sat in their apartment and watched tv all the time.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 AM

The thing about tipping is interesting...even for haircuts eh?

Yes the driving on the right I imagine will take getting used to.

I'm probably guilty of forming an unrealistic impression from telly, lol, but I'm very aware of the country's diversity.

I think adapting is part of the fun anyway! If everything was just the same, there'd be no point moving!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,710,095 times
Regarding tipping...

At least as far as food and drink servers go in Ontario,
their base rate of hourly pay is actually UNDER minimum wage.
Our minimum wage is around $8/hr Cdn,
but people who serve food or drink get only about $6/hr
BECAUSE it is expected that they will make some of their income from tips.

This doesn't apply to "fast food" or anywhere else with "take-out" food
when you go to the store yourself for a pick-up, but if you have something delivered,
or served to your table, a tip is generally expected

*In fact many bartenders make a lot more money from tips than their actual hourly rate.
I believe they have to claim the tip money for tax purposes,
but I wouldn't be surprised if that is either missed by some bartenders, or accounted for innaccurately.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,698,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know the auto-based society/shopping malls etc for one. !
Perth's very auto-based, shopping mall oriented too so that won't be a big culture shock for you. America's just bigger that way, with more of all that. Bigger parking spots too. Better shopping hours. Harder to come this way with all the confusing restrictions.

Quote:
What about their treatment of you...especially those of the opposite sex, lol, jk...do Americans tend to treat you as a curiosity if you're different?
Just speak Strine and the girls will love you. My oldest brother travelled thru the US, with his Strine accent and was swatting the girls away like flies He said it was a definite draw. Great conversation starter. I've always found Americans treatment wonderful. Very friendly, polite and helpful. Very interested in and admiring of Australia.

Quote:
I'm very serious about moving to the US,
Go for it. Make that your goal. You can only gain from the experience.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times
Quote:
For those Australians who have made to move, or lived in the United States...I'm curious, what were some of the things you found hardest to adapt to? Maybe a lack of vegemite? lol (won't be a problem for me! ). Did the accent take time to get used to? What about things you found easiest to adapt to? I know the auto-based society/shopping malls etc for one.

What about their treatment of you...especially those of the opposite sex, lol, jk...do Americans tend to treat you as a curiosity if you're different? Course it would vary from person to person and from region to region.

I'm very serious about moving to the US, hope to move to the New England region or NYC in a couple of years and stay there 3-5 years, depending on how I find it. Are some areas better than others to move to?

Opinions/stories welcomed!
I've lived in both New England, NYC and now the great white north.

Tipping still annoys me but even more so when my Aussie friends visit and they don't tip and I need to remind them to do so as in some tourist places Aussies have a bad rep for being "stingy" (servers here do not know that its not common in Oz to tip unless you are in a high end resto).

I eat vegemite back in Oz but I don't crave it, but I do crave it here and I am perfectly willing to go on a long drive to buy it or re-arrange my schedule when in NYC to go to a tuck shop and get it. Same with Tim Tams. Meat pies are easier to find in Canada but not in the US.. and they're not good. I have not had a pie floater in ages due to this. At home I will put beetroot, egg, etc. in my burger but won't do this in front of people as they will think its odd.

I miss sunny Australia day. No beach fireworks here. Just cold.. brrr.. this has been the toughest as I always spent Australia day at the beach with my mates and with eskies loaded with beer.

When I first lived in NYC the crowds and subway were confusing. But once you learn the subway no worries, and people are actually quite helpful -- my mates always make the same comment on helpful locals. To have someone come up to you (as you look at a subway map) and ask if you need help is not uncommon - happened to me several times. Outside NYC and major cities, the US and Oz are car cultures so thats no different. It was very easy to adapt to stores being open later. It was hard not having a place like Adelaide's Central Market which was my Saturday morning tradition.

New Yorkers and people in the Northeast are pretty blase about accents (unlike the rest of the US), as so many people from around the world have moved there.. nobody is going to go crazy over you unless you're in a pub and you meet a tourist. Funny, locals thought my mates were poms. Nobody fawned on them over their accent. Lastly you will find a new definition of multi-cultural if you come to NYC. Its significantly more so than Sydney or Melbourne. Heavy Jewish, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Asian influences. In all of South Australia there are 2 synagogues -- they are a dime a dozen in NY and I've learnt that there is not just one sect... and you learn to become a snob about real NY bagels. And there are a few Aussie restos around so can get a taste of home when in need. The one good thing about this exposure to many cultures is NYers are more open to meeting new people.

You won't miss the flies and mossies. Have not done an "Aussie wave" since I arrived back. That's a good thing.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-19-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Perth's very auto-based, shopping mall oriented too so that won't be a big culture shock for you. America's just bigger that way, with more of all that. Bigger parking spots too. Better shopping hours. Harder to come this way with all the confusing restrictions.

Just speak Strine and the girls will love you. My oldest brother travelled thru the US, with his Strine accent and was swatting the girls away like flies He said it was a definite draw. Great conversation starter. I've always found Americans treatment wonderful. Very friendly, polite and helpful. Very interested in and admiring of Australia.

Go for it. Make that your goal. You can only gain from the experience.

Lol, does that apply even if you don't look like Jesse Spencer? Not that I'm ugly, just not the ideal bronzed buff lifesaver stereotype....

I figure California would be most like Perth. I thought of moving to San Diego, but I want a different climate/feel to Perth. I'm set on New England, even a small town in New England, which I think would offer a very different experience. Shops not closing at 5:30 will be a nice change I'm sure!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times
Quote:
Lol, does that apply even if you don't look like Jesse Spencer? Not that I'm ugly, just not the ideal bronzed buff lifesaver stereotype....

I figure California would be most like Perth. I thought of moving to San Diego, but I want a different climate/feel to Perth. I'm set on New England, even a small town in New England, which I think would offer a very different experience. Shops not closing at 5:30 will be a nice change I'm sure!
I personally love the idea of a small New England town and I'm actually interviewing for a job in New Hampshire tomorrow. Cross country skiing or snow shoeing in winter, cycling in fall/spring and kayaking in the summer. Brilliant.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I personally love the idea of a small New England town and I'm actually interviewing for a job in New Hampshire tomorrow. Cross country skiing or snow shoeing in winter, cycling in fall/spring and kayaking in the summer. Brilliant.
Good luck with that! . Let me know if you get there, and how your new life turns out, if you're lucky enough...

I myself am applying for jobs around Oz...trying to get a job in Queensland. fingers crossed

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

78 posts, read 514,334 times
Since tipping was mentioned, I'm curious: what are the rules for tipping in Australia? I saw someone mentioned for restaurants, you only tip if it's high-end, but what about other things, like do you tip for haircuts, bartenders, valet service, food/pizza delivery, etc?

It's always good to know these kinds of things before we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand