Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

What if they made Port Arthur a working prison again for people like Martin Bryant. The tourists could see them hauling logs or stones just like in the convict era!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What if they made Port Arthur a working prison again for people like Martin Bryant. The tourists could see them hauling logs or stones just like in the convict era!
No, not for him. Frankly I don't care if he never feels the sunlight on his face again. I certainly don't think he should be allowed the amount of human interaction that being on a work gang would afford him. ACTUALLY there's a solitary confinement cell at Port Arthur where once you close the door it is totally dark, cold and empty, maybe put him there......with Ivan Milat.

I meant the general prison population needs to be working at something to earn their keep and for the betterment of everyone else. There's plenty of jobs that nobody here seems to want to do. I don't understand why we're not using the prison population for those. It seems like a win/win to me.

Port Arthur is.....well it's a profound experience. Have you ever been there Trimac?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No, not for him. Frankly I don't care if he never feels the sunlight on his face again. I certainly don't think he should be allowed the amount of human interaction that being on a work gang would afford him. ACTUALLY there's a solitary confinement cell at Port Arthur where once you close the door it is totally dark, cold and empty, maybe put him there......with Ivan Milat.

I meant the general prison population needs to be working at something to earn their keep and for the betterment of everyone else. There's plenty of jobs that nobody here seems to want to do. I don't understand why we're not using the prison population for those. It seems like a win/win to me.

Port Arthur is.....well it's a profound experience. Have you ever been there Trimac?
I went there in late November last year...yes, it is a profound place. I could really sense the ghosts of the past...Indeed in the solitary confinement cell I could swear I heard a door banging on its hinges, and almost heard weird moaning in the wind...perhaps my over-active imagination . It's kind of weird the area's grisly history did not end when it was closed as a penal colony, the memorial garden was a lovely tribute I think.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
I went there in late November last year...yes, it is a profound place. I could really sense the ghosts of the past...Indeed in the solitary confinement cell I could swear I heard a door banging on its hinges, and almost heard weird moaning in the wind...perhaps my over-active imagination . It's kind of weird the area's grisly history did not end when it was closed as a penal colony, the memorial garden was a lovely tribute I think.
It's like that isn't it? Very hard to describe in words because it really does seem to have a presence or a vibe to it that you just don't get from looking at the pictures.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the place but I'm not one for the notion of ghosties but there were a couple of incidents while I was there which I've still not been able to explain. Perhaps it was a form of mass hysteria?

The memorial garden is a lovely tribute.

Maybe we could make something as sinister and only send the worst of the worst there and the others could earn points with good behaviour to stay out of it?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's like that isn't it? Very hard to describe in words because it really does seem to have a presence or a vibe to it that you just don't get from looking at the pictures.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the place but I'm not one for the notion of ghosties but there were a couple of incidents while I was there which I've still not been able to explain. Perhaps it was a form of mass hysteria?

The memorial garden is a lovely tribute.

Maybe we could make something as sinister and only send the worst of the worst there and the others could earn points with good behaviour to stay out of it?
Indeed, and we could employ people to dress up or do the voice of ghosts to scare the bojangles out of them! That's what they do at Fremantle Prison, on their night ghost tours lol...Now that is a spooky place at night too.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:14 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yes indeed. More Floggings and Hangings. That'll keep the convict scum in line!

I believe WA was the last state to abolish Capital Punishment for all sentences? So there probably is more support here for it's return? Though I have to agree. That people would support it in Theory, But not in Practice.

Didn't our Former PM change his mind about the Death Penalty after the Bali Bombings? From being strongly opposed against it. To being almost fully supportive of it's return.

That seems kind of hypocritical ... being okay with it if Muslim terrorists get it, but adamantly against it if an Aussie murderer is.

You have to have a standard. I'll be extremely disappointed if Australians bring back capital punishment and become the next Texas.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
That seems kind of hypocritical ... being okay with it if Muslim terrorists get it, but adamantly against it if an Aussie murderer is.

You have to have a standard. I'll be extremely disappointed if Australians bring back capital punishment and become the next Texas.
True Mimzy.

However, but I personally do not regard terrorists as human.. anyone who targets to kill as many innocent human lives en masse, deserve to be judged from a stricter standard. IMO.

But I also see the hypocricy (spel?) that you are pointing out. Aren't there more states than Texas that have capital punishment? I though most of the southern states had capital punishment.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I'll be extremely disappointed if Australians bring back capital punishment and become the next Texas.
CP will never come back. The issue is dead no matter how much call for it there is. And like I said earlier, the demand for CP seems more a reaction to the weak "justice" system than anything else, imo.

There's more chance of vigilante action happening than CP being even mildly debated as an option.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True Mimzy.

However, but I personally do not regard terrorists as human.. anyone who targets to kill as many innocent human lives en masse, deserve to be judged from a stricter standard. IMO.

But I also see the hypocricy (spel?) that you are pointing out. Aren't there more states than Texas that have capital punishment? I though most of the southern states had capital punishment.
If the terrorists were Australian I think the public wouldn't be any kinder, actually.

Yes most states in the US, including states like California, Washington and Connecticut have capital punishment.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
If the terrorists were Australian I think the public wouldn't be any kinder, actually.

Yes most states in the US, including states like California, Washington and Connecticut have capital punishment.
If I counted correctly 14 do not have it on the books, 1 has it as unconstitutional, 1 is up to debate and the remainder of the 50 have it. Thats less than i thought. Of the states that have it, 2 have not had an execution since the mid70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand