U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 AM

38 posts, read 270,053 times

Advertisements

Just some things that are sometimes confused by some people in the Australian public who have little experience with these three groups -- yes there is a difference.

A bogan is someone of the lower income bracket and is the only one that is determined based on socio-economic grounds. However, a bogan's actions are another determinant. A bogan will act "Aussie": cars, beer, jimmy barnes etc. Bogans often are actually very nice people.

A yobbo on the other hand can be from any socio-economic class, usually the middle class, and they are usually younger (16-30). Yobbo's are more obnoxious, arrogant and loud -- the type to wear the Australian flag around their neck at the Big Day Out Festival. They'll always abide by the "stereotypes", like wearing thongs on a wet 10 degree day and drinking a beer at the most inappropriate times -- just so people know they are Australian.

A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,659,432 times
A very good clarification t0mmy! Which bracket do you fit into? lol. I'm a bit bogan myself, I must say, and maybe a hint of yob...

Of course some bogans can be yobbos, but by no means are most yobbos bogans, as you pointed out a lot of them are actually middle class. You can observe many normally reserved middle class kids acting like hooligans on the weekend.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 AM

yea obviously some are going to be two, or all three even. being wog i wouldn't classify myself as any of them and generally don't get along with yobbo's or rednecks. I am quite biased in my post to bogans because i am friends with a few and they are great people. there are a lot of yobbo's at uni and they just annoy the hell out of me, i really despise them.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM

9,594 posts, read 24,194,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
Just some things that are sometimes confused by some people in the Australian public who have little experience with these three groups -- yes there is a difference.

A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket.
Thanks, we needed an Aussie to tell people what a North American category means.
(actually an American term, and I'm a Canadian, but have many American friends )

Again, to me a great example of a redneck is "Earl" on "My Name is Earl."
"Tim Taylor" on "Home Improvement" could be described a "redneck" too, on more looser terms of the definition.
"Redneck" doesn't make anyone more likely to be racist;
the only difference is a redneck who is racist already might be more likely to be openly racist.

In Canada, I know a guy about my age and of Indian ancestry who I would describe as "quite redneck"...
and he probably wouldn't mind being described that way.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 30,220 times
this could be, uh, educational....

YouTube - Nobody likes a Bogan

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Thanks, we needed an Aussie to tell people what a North American category means.
(actually an American term, and I'm a Canadian, but have many American friends )

Again, to me a great example of a redneck is "Earl" on "My Name is Earl."
"Tim Taylor" on "Home Improvement" could be described a "redneck" too, on more looser terms of the definition.
"Redneck" doesn't make anyone more likely to be racist;
the only difference is a redneck who is racist already might be more likely to be openly racist.

In Canada, I know a guy about my age and of Indian ancestry who I would describe as "quite redneck"...
and he probably wouldn't mind being described that way.
i guess thong means the same thing in the US too? slab, too? and root? barrack? yes, all words in the US have the same meaning they do in Australia way to make something out of nothing

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
i guess thong means the same thing in the US too? slab, too? and root? barrack? yes, all words in the US have the same meaning they do in Australia way to make something out of nothing
So Aussie's invented their own "redneck" definition?
I (mistakingly) assumed that it was borrowed and interpretted that way.

A lot of Americans also have very negative views about "rednecks" (usually those who know very little about where the idea came from) but at the same time, a lot of other Americans don't view it generally negative. To me, the main general traits are very-unpretensious (sp?) behavior/lifestyle, some element of boldness in character and sometimes random acts of bravado. This is why "Earl" fits for me.

*You were spot on about rednecks can be from any class though, in terms of the American definition too.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,381,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So Aussie's invented their own "redneck" definition?
I (mistakingly) assumed that it was borrowed and interpretted that way.

A lot of Americans also have very negative views about "rednecks" (usually those who know very little about where the idea came from) but at the same time, a lot of other Americans don't view it generally negative. To me, the main general traits are very-unpretensious (sp?) behavior/lifestyle, some element of boldness in character and sometimes random acts of bravado. This is why "Earl" fits for me.

*You were spot on about rednecks can be from any class though, in terms of the American definition too.

We did borrow the word from North America. But like alot of Aussie terms, we changed the definition! From the US/Canada meaning of "Redneck". To the Australian meaning, of someone who's overtly racist.

Your description is closer to describing a Bogan/Yobbo?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-23-2009 at 11:18 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,659,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
We did borrow the word from North America. But like alot of Aussie terms, we changed the definition! From the US/Canada meaning of "Redneck". To the Australian meaning, of someone who's overtly racist.

Yes, the Aussie definition is probably more suggestive of racist characteristics...it's also quite negative. Indeed, I think 'redneck' tends to distill the most negative traits of bogans/bumpkins such as xenophobia, inflexibility.etc and tends to stereotype them on those traits.

All in all I think 'bogan' has been used quite negatively too, and it annoys me. Many 'bogans' are much better people than pretentious, 'sophisticated' people.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post

Some people here also interpret it that way, but then again it's by North Americans unfamiliar with its origins.
However in Canada, we have few words or meanings of our own;
95% of our common (English) language is American.
(We tend not to take other cultures words and give them our own meanings, I understand Australia frequently does, and this is actually a positive for me; helps make life less boring)

A popular redneck joke:
-What are the most common dying words/last words of a redneck?
- "...Hey y'all, what this!..."

Since we have a song about Bogans, how about a fun redneck song:

Alan Jackson - Its Alright to be a Redneck Video by Livin in the Here & Now - MySpace Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand