Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,449,310 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Can anyone recommend any good fiction/literature that takes place in Australia or NZ? I'm really into world lit, but I'm not sure what good stuff it out there on these two countries.

Thanks!

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,859,471 times
Well I'm not sure what genre you're looking at but I think I'm supposed to recommend Tim Winton of the current authors.

There's also Di Morrissey, Thomas Kennealy, Peter Carey

Most of the Aussie books and authors that I love are semi autobiographical or not fiction so I'm not sure I can help much. In terms of great reads and great Aussie books my personal favorites include

Miles Franklin ~ My Brilliant Career
A.B Facey ~ A Fortunate Life
Joan Lindsay ~ Picnic At Hanging Rock
Anais (Jeannie) Gunn ~ We of The Never Never
Gregory David Roberts ~ Shantaram
Gabrielle Carey & Kathy Lette ~ Puberty Blues
Mandy Sawyer ~ Dreamtime Alice
Marie Mahood ~ Icing on The Damper
Garry Disher ~ The Divine Wind
Alan Marshall ~ I Can Jump Puddles

There's others but I can't think of them all right now, but they'll do for starters, hopefully.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,939,368 times
To add to Moonshadow's list

Such Is Life - Tom Collins
For The Term Of His Natural Life - Marcus Clarke
The Moods Of Ginger Mick/The Sentimental Bloke - C J Dennis
A Town like Alice - Nevil Shute
Footrot Flats - Murray Ball (NZ Comic Strip)
Walkabout - Donald Gordon Payne [James Vance marshall]
The Loaded Dog - Henry Lawson (Short Story)
Dad & Dave - Arthur Hoey Davis [Steele Rudd]

Thats probably enough for starters?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

50 posts, read 88,548 times
Tomorrow Series by John Marsden
Tomorrow series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a high-intensity invasion and occupation of Australia by a foreign power

Kind of neat, even if it is targeted towards young readers, I really enjoyed it.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,449,310 times
Thanks for all the suggestions...I think I'm stocked for for fiction for a while now...sweet.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,422,243 times
You could also try Janet Frame (New Zealand) altho her writing can be an acquired taste. I find it easier to listen to on CD rather than read the text as some of her stuff is more like a stream-of-consciousness than a novel with a linear structure. And they are set in NZ in the 1950s and 1960s. But still fascinating stuff. Try Owls Do Cry, The Adaptable Man and/or one of her autobiographies starting with To The Is-Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand