Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,715,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The south is a very unique region of the USA. It has its good and bad traits like anywhere, but again it is unique and many simply cannot adjust to it.

Truthfully I cannot imagine someone from Canada even considering immigrating to the USA. I have been to a number of provinces in my life, to not have noticed the huge difference in people and society there. When compared to the USA and all its troubles, I simply can't imagine leaving Canada for the USA. Maybe at one time I could but not any longer. Its not talked about much in this country, but I would say in the past decade many Americans would love to move to Canada. Life here has gotten way beyond out of control for many Americans, and they simply cannot provide for their health and well being here properly.
I know, I've been there many times. ("Dixieland")
Oddly enough, I feel a lot more comfortable socially in states like South Carolina than I do in the Toronto Area.
I like to talk to be able to make small talk with stangers,
and I've found many native Southerners will strike up conversation lasting several minutes with people they don't know.
Very talkative.

Here people are generally completely-uninterested or afraid of talking with strangers.
In the rural areas you tend to lose the fear,
but in Ontario, no place do people have Southerner's "talkativeness."
Perhaps the Atlantic Provinces might be "chatty",
but Ontario is not warm enough for me, and they're even cooler/colder provinces.

The U.S.A. since the economic crisis is looking especially unattractive as a country to immigrate to.
It doesn't hurt as much, knowing I probably can't live there
when there are so many more challenges there for local residents.
The weather in the U.S.A. is superior for people who like "sun and warmth,"
and argueably the U.S.A. can be more fun than Canada,
but that alone doesn't make it worthwhile to leave Canada for
considering the issues with healthcare or the economy.
(If I was rich, I'd probably still move to the U.S.A. in a hearbeat though )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-29-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Anyone interested in visiting a place where the weather is warm and local residents are English-speaking and can be "very-chatty"
might love a trip to many of the Southern States.

Especially nice for a beach vacation,
most of the sea surface temps in the southeastern and south central U.S. range between 80-86 F (27-30 C) in summer.
(Warmer than the Pacific coast of Queensland, while their seas do not have "deadly jellyfish" )
Combine those warm ocean temps with latitudes up to 35 degrees
and you can have "realiably-hot" beach weather with 14 hour-long days.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
Well, if ya feel like the visit, I would suggest flying in to San Francisco, seeing the town, then, head north up the coast road and visit Muir Woods, plan on spending most of a day in the woods, it is worth every moment of it. Other things you will need to see are the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Carlsbad Cavern, Churchhill Downs, The Outer Banks of N. Carolina, The Alamo, New York City, Lake Champlain (go to the northern end, up by Vermont) up above Fort Ticonderoga, while you are in the Neighborhood, visit New Hampshire and Vermont. Of course, the best way to do all of this is with a Rental Car, You'll get to talk with some of the locals in various places. I would take the Northern Route out of California and the southern route back.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM

9,501 posts, read 16,401,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I know, I've been there many times. ("Dixieland")
Oddly enough, I feel a lot more comfortable socially in states like South Carolina than I do in the Toronto Area.
I like to talk to be able to make small talk with stangers,
and I've found many native Southerners will strike up conversation lasting several minutes with people they don't know.
Very talkative.

Here people are generally completely-uninterested or afraid of talking with strangers.
In the rural areas you tend to lose the fear,
but in Ontario, no place do people have Southerner's "talkativeness."
Perhaps the Atlantic Provinces might be "chatty",
but Ontario is not warm enough for me, and they're even cooler/colder provinces.

The U.S.A. since the economic crisis is looking especially unattractive as a country to immigrate to.
It doesn't hurt as much, knowing I probably can't live there
when there are so many more challenges there for local residents.
The weather in the U.S.A. is superior for people who like "sun and warmth,"
and argueably the U.S.A. can be more fun than Canada,
but that alone doesn't make it worthwhile to leave Canada for
considering the issues with healthcare or the economy.
(If I was rich, I'd probably still move to the U.S.A. in a hearbeat though )

I also think that many people in the south will strike up a conversation quite frequently. I found it is more common on the East Coast than the West Coast of the USA. Im not sure about NYC area but elsewhere it is.

I'm from Massachusetts originally and have always started conversations with strangers. Since I moved to Portland, Oregon I find myself uncomfortable at times doing it here. I find I am always the one that starts any small talk, some will respond many have just ignored. Im not completely sure on this, but in some ways I think the West Coast is more prone to panhandling in public. They may tune people out intentionally rather than have to deal with the begging. Maybe they take any words of friendliness from a stranger, as a signal the person wants something. Either or it is not a comfortable region for me here. I need friendlier more approachable people. It has bothered me since I moved here 4 years ago, and I miss the East Coast small talk and more neighborly qualities of the East. As well as the diversity in the populations, and not so much emphasis on alternative type living and Radical politics.

Yes I would give high points to the Southeastern USA for its friendlier people. Im actually researching areas of the Southeast to retire to. It most likely will be in North Carolina but looking at several areas. I can't give the South high points when it comes to social issues, but small talk to stangers YES. I agree it stays warm there also. One definitely knows in the long summer months, its going to be warm every single day. Great place to go to the beach, but stay away from those Jelly Fish.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,950,397 times
Quote:
I also think that many people in the south will strike up a conversation quite frequently. I found it is more common on the East Coast than the West Coast of the USA. Im not sure about NYC area but elsewhere it is.
As long as you are not in rush hour on the sidewalks with people rushing to work, its not difficult to strike a conversation with New Yorkers. Last weekend this woman commented on my Australian t-shirt in the subway. I've asked people for help or made comments and have never had any major negative experience. I think its a myth - unfriendly NYers.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As long as you are not in rush hour on the sidewalks with people rushing to work, its not difficult to strike a conversation with New Yorkers. Last weekend this woman commented on my Australian t-shirt in the subway. I've asked people for help or made comments and have never had any major negative experience. I think its a myth - unfriendly NYers.
A friend of mine I'd describe as "...very urban-minded, very sophisticated..." His personality matches big cities very well, generally speaking. So I was amazed at his utter astonishment at how much nicer NYC is than Toronto. He told me for him, it was "Night and Day" difference in friendliness from strangers... and he probably wasn't even looking for it. So many things in NYC are better than Toronto, not to mention the weather too. Even their subways are more exciting; going faster, more g-forces (sideways and up and down) than Toronto's subways.

The only downside he mentioned is that a lot of food in NYC is greasier than Toronto, especially the pizza.
He claims their pizza looks like it's drenched in grease, and NYCers fold the slices in half, in an effort to be less messy.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,401,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think its a myth also.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,700,068 times
Quote:
I think its a myth also.
We proved it was a myth when we were there. I had even read somewhere, forgot where, that you shouldn't talk to people on the subway. I thought that sounded ridiculous and tested it out. Definitely ridiculous. New Yorkers were very helpful, friendly and talkative. Of course, you have to use reason. You don't stop someone who's obviously in a rush to get somewhere. They'd likely not be too helpful or happy - in any city.

Felt very safe in Manhattan at night. Cops everywhere. Even had a couple come up to us and ask if we'd like any help or information. More people on the streets at night, with a variety of venues to meet all preferences, are the key to safer street life. Perth's is predominantly about big loud beer barns, nothing much else. And far fewer cops on the street. Hence, I wouldn't walk around at 1am here in "Dullsville", yet I would, and did, in Manhattan. It was a very liberating experience

Old 10-02-2009, 01:52 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice a lot of Australians dismiss the US as an interesting tourist destination because they think the culture is shallow and plastic, and it's too similar to Australia. I think that's true to an extent, but I also think America has such a rich cultural history, especially in the 20th century. I myself am most interested in 20th century pop culture so in many ways the history of the 1950s, Rock'n'Roll, Civil Rights is more fascinating than the history of Ancient Greece or the Middle Ages, even if they are interesting too. I feel the 20th century is more relevant, and the events of American history in the 20th century still reverberate. As fascinating as the ancient world was, I can't directly relate to it.

Anyone, I notice most would choose Europe first over North America because of it's longer history, culture, old buildings, diversity etc - of course it does have many things the US - just one country - lacks, but while Europe would come close, if I had to choose I would visit the United States, since I've been wanting to go there since forever. I know in some ways I'll be disappointed but overall I think I'll get a lot of what I bargain for.

What is your personal opinion on this? Do you notice a lot of people who are dismissive of the US as a place to visit?
The structure of cities in the United States and Australia are very similar. I think that is one of the main reasons. If the people spoke the same way and cars drove on the same side, it would be hard to tell whether or not you are in the United States or Australia. There are exceptions such as Las Vegas, San Francisco and New York City.

If you ever want advice on where to visit in the United States, send me a message. I spent a few years living in Australia and showed some of my friends around America, so I'm used to giving advice to Aussies.

Take care!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,950,397 times
Quote:
Truthfully I cannot imagine someone from Canada even considering immigrating to the USA.
For every 1 American that moves to Canada, there are 3 Canadians moving to the US. Maybe someday even Coldy will move to warm Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand