U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 24,508 times
Smile Which city is better Auckland or Wellington

[SIZE=3]Hi, I am from India and married and we are planning to move to New Zealand, Would like to know which city is best to stay either Auckland or Wellington. Looking for the following qualities.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Job availability- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Less traffic [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Good Accommodation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Safety[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Living Cost factor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Kindly Suggest and share your experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM

24,693 posts, read 17,315,453 times
Christchurch

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 AM

339 posts, read 788,464 times
Hi, this is quite a tough question, I think it would depend on the industry you are in job wise? Auckland is a bigger city so of course there will be more job available. If you want to work in the government sector, then Wellington's your natural choice. For other industries such as finance or law, you'd be better off in Auckland because it's where most big firms have their NZ headquarters.

Not taking jobs into account...I think both are very nice cities. Wellington is much smaller and more compact, Auckland is more sprawled outwards. Both are very picturesque with great outdoor lifestyle options. However Wellington is well known for its marginal weather, it doesn't get very warm in summer and its not nicknamed 'windy wellington' for nothing.

I really think for a big decision like this you need to visit both places before making a decision. You can't substitute that for anything.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM

46 posts, read 226,913 times
Default weather in auckland and wellington?

how does the weather compare in auckland vs wellington?...

i've been living near vancouver and all the greyskies and constant rain is sort of depressing..

it doesn't rain as much in auckland and wellington compared to vancouver right?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 11,816,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen4080 View Post

i've been living near vancouver and all the greyskies and constant rain is sort of depressing..

You'd probably have to pull up official stats if you want to know that.

I've had plenty of rainy cold or cloudy days in both cities.

Wellington is more topsy turvy in regards to weather with a lot more wind and driving rain.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM

24,693 posts, read 17,315,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen4080 View Post

Both are similar to Vancouver in cloudiness and raininess. I believe both get around 2100 hours of bright sunshine a year, and in Auckland at least 1/2 of days are rainy. So don't expect it to be much sunnier. I do know Nelson in the South Island and Hawkes Bay in the north island are the sunniest regions in New Zealand with about 2450 hours.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,824,151 times
Vancouver gets about 1930 hrs sun /year, considerably less than about 2050 in Auckland and 2095 in Wellington (last 30 years for these latter 2). Its mean annual temperature of 10.2C is less than Wellington at 12.7C-13.5C (depends on altitude) and much lower than Auckland's 15.5C.

Nelson-Motueka and Blenheim areas average about 2450 hrs sun/annum, Napier in Hawkes Bay gets lesss with about 2250, though it is a bit warmer those 2.

Auckland is much more a "beachy" place than Wellington but is also quite windy in the more exposed parts and has an irritatingly high number of days with variable cloudiness. Wellington's scenic views are better than Auckland's.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

5,060 posts, read 2,892,100 times
Auckland. Wellington's climate is pure garbage. Lots of wind and very cold with minimal summers. Auckland's summers are far better with some himudity making it feel nice and warm.

Both cities are oppressively cloudy though.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,824,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Auckland. Wellington's climate is pure garbage. Lots of wind and very cold with minimal summers. Auckland's summers are far better with some himudity making it feel nice and warm.

Both cities are oppressively cloudy though.
Oppressively cloudy - rubbish. You have no concept of the term "average" on a planetary scale.

Not everyone is a heat freak like you .... and there are plenty of Wellingtonians who don't like Auckland's climate at all.

Your views would mean more if you actually lived in a place that was anywhere near as warm as your ideal.

However for someone from India, nowhere in nZ would seem anywhere like warm - Australia would be a better bet (not Victoria or Tasmania though of course)

Old 04-19-2009, 03:13 AM

141 posts, read 196,602 times
Ive lived in Auckland, and visited Wellington many-a-times for business, and I prefer Auckland. The warmer weather and beaches are the main drawcards for me, but the cost of living in Auckland, and the traffic are deterrents. As HKgal says, you really need to make your own choice as it will depend on your job and what you expect in lifestyle. Of course there are other alternatives in the larger provincial cities which can also provide a great lifestyle and be cheaper to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand