Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM

27 posts, read 70,892 times

Advertisements

Haha...yups once our retail trading hours are the same as the rest of Australia we will have more choice in the city..but we do have a great climate and lifestyle..and Miss Mauds has tasty (but expensive) food...ummmm also fast eddy's burgers r nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimoh View Post
Haha...yups once our retail trading hours are the same as the rest of Australia we will have more choice in the city..but we do have a great climate and lifestyle..and Miss Mauds has tasty (but expensive) food...ummmm also fast eddy's burgers r nice
Miss Maud is great, it always reminds me of home when I'm away. I often get the baguettes, especially the 'baguette of the day' which is a steal at $3.95. Their 'princess cakes' (the ones with the green marzipan) are not to be missed.

Fast Eddy's has improved I think, I had a burger at the Carillion City Foodcourt and it was better than I remember. Then again, that was Fast Eddy's Freo about 5 years ago lol.

Tell me about trading hours, it's about time...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Oh.. I forgot to add, Adelaide has big balls..

Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM

184 posts, read 837,102 times
One unique thing about Auckland I really like is that it literally straddles the country. You can comfortably walk from one coast to the other if you really want. The sun rises AND sets over the ocean

Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A lot of those are, unfortunately, not just unique to Sydney lol.

But I think many Aussies have a love/hate relationship with Sydney, who is like the fawning peacock of the family. It has a ridiculous amount of natural and other assets, enough for several cities at least, yet there's an soullessness about the place, a lack of a centre.
That is exactly what makes Sydney. Whenever I go to other cities in Australia, it doesn't feel or have the same "vibes" as Sydney. We do have a centre (more than one in fact) but you need to go further afield (outside the tourist traps) to find it.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ I took the train up to Gawler and it's kind of a weird looking place, like a strip of suburbia next to a very dry looking paddock. The place itself reminded me of Midland or Guildford, actually.

I didn't get to try a Balfours frog or a pie floater...What's an early minute and a stobie pole?
Yes, Gawler can be a bit...odd. An early minute is just a strange way of saying you could leave school/work early. Contrary to what mini thinks, I was never well-behaved enough to get many of those. Either at school or work, sorry to disappoint you mini!
Stobie pole is an extremely ugly version of a power pole, or light pole.
Stobie pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just there this past weekend, and though I had a great time (mostly alcoholically enhanced), clearly another thing about Adelaide (maybe not unique to Adelaide but certainly more noticeable there than in a 'real' town), is the total desparation of the residents to continually try and convince outsiders that it's really a Very Fun, Happening Place. I mean, REALLY desparate. I had to tell one guy to chill out or he was gonna pop a vein. As one resident said "its a great place to live, but you wouldnt wanna visit".

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Oh yes, and Melbourne seems to have an obsession with yellow public "art" pieces.

Started with Vault (the Yellow Peril) back in the early 80s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_(sculpture)

and the tradition appears to have continued with "The Cheesestick"

Melbourne International Gateway - Public Art of Melbourne - Galleries & Studios - Home | Office | Garden - Shopping & Services -

Driving around town in recent years this obsession seems to have expanded and I'm often mystified to discover yet another giant yellow shape.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM

I don't know that this is the best example of what a website should be, but it is a south aust 'icon'..(the brand that is), so have a browse and pick your fave. Mine is the Danish Slice. Funny, it has rum in it. What a co-inky-dink!
(turn your sound on to get the total experience....man) mini, I hope this doesn't make you too homesick!
Balfours

Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 PM

mini neglected to mention that Adelaide is...well, not exactly famous for, but has much much smaller balls. I'm munching on some right now as a matter of fact.

Fruchocs Chocolate Review

Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yes, Gawler can be a bit...odd. An early minute is just a strange way of saying you could leave school/work early. Contrary to what mini thinks, I was never well-behaved enough to get many of those. Either at school or work, sorry to disappoint you mini!
Stobie pole is an extremely ugly version of a power pole, or light pole.
Stobie pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just there this past weekend, and though I had a great time (mostly alcoholically enhanced), clearly another thing about Adelaide (maybe not unique to Adelaide but certainly more noticeable there than in a 'real' town), is the total desparation of the residents to continually try and convince outsiders that it's really a Very Fun, Happening Place. I mean, REALLY desparate. I had to tell one guy to chill out or he was gonna pop a vein. As one resident said "its a great place to live, but you wouldnt wanna visit".
Does anyone put powerlines underground anywhere Down Under?

I'm not accustomed to seeing many power lines,
probably 90% of residential electricity comes in underground in my city
(no lines connecting into people's roof tops)
and when I do see them, I notice powerlines often obscure the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand