Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM

46 posts, read 331,251 times

Advertisements

Ozone Problem over Australia & New Zealand? Skin Cancer okay, so i have been hearing from a few people...

that Australia and New Zealand have some sort of ozone problem...

and a plethora of skin cancer cases...

can ANYONE give me some info about this???

Thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer/melanoma in the world.

So you need to avoid the sun during the hottest part of the day between 10am and 2pm.

Always wear sunblock, wear a hat, and cover up.

I'll let Sid tell ya.

YouTube - Slip Slop Slap

Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM

but WHY does it have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world?

i mean...countries near the equator get more intense sunlight...

at least that is what i thought..

Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen4080 View Post
but WHY does it have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world?

i mean...countries near the equator get more intense sunlight...

at least that is what i thought..

Well there's many theories put forth as to why.

Many of us are descendent from fair skinned folk that didn't see nearly as much sunlight, so genetically many of us aren't "designed" to cope with intense sunlight. Skin cancer is more prevelent in fair skinned people than dark skinned people.

Culturally the idea of the bronzed Aussie has been cultivated over a lot of years and people simply were not sun smart for many years. So it's not unusual to hear of folks that would slather themselves in baby oil and go fry in the sun. Or work all day in the sun without any protection.

Plus it's only been a few years since kids started wearing hats, and sunblock outdoors. (Unheard of when I was a kid.) So it'll be a few years before that prevention shows up in the statistics I think.

Health: Skin Cancer ... Australia's Curse

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Yes, light skin/hair/eyes in Oz doesn't help. It increases your chances of developing squamous and basal cell carcinoma as well as melanoma. But that doesn't let us olive-skinned types off either. Probably only very slightly less chance than blonde/blue-eyed/freckly types. Not worth the gamble.

That, and the cumulative and excessive exposure to sun - we live in a very sunny country, it's hard to avoid. It's hot, you go to the beach. Sun reflecting off the water and pale sand increases the intensity. Just walking the dog, hanging the washing on the line, mowing the lawn, etc. ...lots of sun exposure here. One bad burn when you're young is bad news. At primary school they don't let kids out in the sun without a wide-brimmed hat.

Best to avoid the sun in the middle of the day, like moonshadow says, and wear protective clothing. Rashie vests are great, imo. No more burned backs and shoulders. The fabric is light, dries quick. Keeps you warm at the end of the day when the seabreeze picks up. Pop-up tents are handy too - great to give you respite from the sun while you're at the beach. Unfortunately we don't have too many shady trees on our beaches.

We're very sun-aware here but not all of us are sun-smart.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Ozone Hole Only Over Certain Cities?

I heard the ozone hole over Australia and New Zealand..

only hits certain cities in Australia and NZ..?

like parts of Melbourne, Sydney etc,

and NOT other parts of the country...

TRUE?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen4080 View Post
I heard the ozone hole over Australia and New Zealand..

only hits certain cities in Australia and NZ..?

like parts of Melbourne, Sydney etc,

and NOT other parts of the country...

TRUE?
The Ozone hole is mainly sits over Antartica. But yes, The hole can get large enough to include parts of New Zealand and southern Australia. Though Even if it dosen't reach up that far? We're still the first to feel it's affects..Just because of being so close to it! Seasonal UV levels have been raised right across both countries.

Also Our position on the world. Means that unlike the Europe/North America. Australia is closer to the equator and so experiences stronger sunlight during summer. This also means that the UV level spikes during summer and thats when mnay people experience cancers.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-28-2009 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 AM

anyone know how much this affects the major cities in each country?

which cities are affected by the lack of ozone and which cities get the blunt or most UV radiation?

sydney, melbourne, perth, adelaide

in oz...?

AND

auckland, wellington, christ church, nelson

in NZ?

ANYONE have data on THIS?? thanks..

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
You seem rather concerned about this "Hole" in the Ozone Layer. Frankly I think it was a load of hysteria, like the Ice Age that was predicted back in about 1975. Then there was Y2K. And how many metres of water are we supposed to be drowning under by now? Oh, and also, we're all going to die in a world-wide pandemic, apparently, of swine flu. Just like back in 1976 (when more people died from the rushed-out vaccine, than the actual disease). But never mind me, I tend to be quite cynical. Especially about doom-and-gloom, the-sky-is-falling, apocalyptic, Old-Testament-like predictions. Of which there seem to be far too many in the past while.

From what I've heard, the hole was actually a thinning. You can find maps of it online. It seems to be mostly, if not all, over the Antarctic itself, and a bit over the southern tip of South America. Apparently, the reduction of CFCs has helped. But then other theories is that it reduces with the increase in sea-ice in the Antarctic. Which some will adamantly disagree with as it collides with their own doom-and-gloom scenarios. Science has been politicised and there's way too much money to be made by some. Such a shame, since I've always admired and respected scientists.

The only thing you have to remember is: Slip, Slop, Slap. Slip on a Shirt, Slop on Sunscreen (and we mean SLOP!), and Slap on a Hat.

You buy sunscreen here in litre bottles with pumps. And you put it on so that you still see the white, don't blend it in. Wide-brimmed hat, not baseball caps that expose your ears. Long-sleeved shirts, or rashie vests at the beach. That'll help, regardless of any ozone hole or thinning or whatever.

Last edited by Vichel; 04-29-2009 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 AM

50 posts, read 248,314 times
I've just learnt in chemistry at university that the ozone hole is caused by the buildup of CFC's in the atmosphere, over the antarctic. Like said above, it's quite small and doesn't affect Australia or NZ. Part of the reason it's there is because the long cold winter causes ice to build up with contaminants, and when the sun eventually starts to shine, these act as a catalyst to increase the destruction of ozone. There is a swirling wind surrounding antarctica in winter, this traps the CFC's. Destruction of the ozone by cfc's has stopped increasing, but it'll take about 100 years for all CFC's to be removed from the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand