U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM

52,816 posts, read 75,823,306 times

Advertisements

Fitzroy, Geelong, St. Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Collingwood are located? I ask because I used to watch Australian Rules Football as a kid when it came on ESPN here in the States.

Also, I looked on the AFL website and noticed that Fitzroy isn't listed as having a team. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,202,906 times
Fitzroy became the Brisbane Lions when moves began to make Aussie Rules a national game. The Fitzroy Football Club relocated to Brisbane.
The same arrangement occured with the Sydney Swans who were previously the South Melbourne Football Club.

Fitzroy, St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood are all suburbs of Greater Melbourne.
Geelong is the second largest city in the state Victoria and about an hours drive from Melbourne.

Port Adelaide is in South Australia.

Fremantle is in Western Australia.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Another community I wondered about was Footscray. I found out that the Western Bulldogs are the old Footscray Football Club.

Also, I think a lot of what I was watching was the Victorian Football League, because I remember seeing this logo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Vfl_logo.png.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another community I wondered about was Footscray. I found out that the Western Bulldogs are the old Footscray Football Club.
Footscray is also a suburb of Melbourne and yes the Western Bulldogs are the old Footscray Football team.

I'll see if I can find you a link regarding all the changes and mergers.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Fitzroy became the Brisbane Lions when moves began to make Aussie Rules a national game. The Fitzroy Football Club relocated to Brisbane.
The same arrangement occured with the Sydney Swans who were previously the South Melbourne Football Club.

Fitzroy, St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood are all suburbs of Greater Melbourne.
Geelong is the second largest city in the state Victoria and about an hours drive from Melbourne.

Port Adelaide is in South Australia.

Fremantle is in Western Australia.
So, is the game basically a Melbourne dominated sport and league or is it more national than it was in the past? Why aren't there more teams in or around Sydney? It seems like it is basically a league that if it was in the US it would be dominated by the NYC metro area.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Ok I find this, which briefly outlines it but I'll see what else I can find.

It's hard to remember the timeline of it all from my perspective because I don't really follow the footy that much any more.

VFL to the AFL

Basically though when I was growing up there was the Victorian Football League (VFL) and the Victoria Football Association (VFA). Players where fed through the system from the VFA up to the VFL. All the teams were Victorian teams. Then they decided we had to have a National game so they relocated a few teams, merged and rellocated, a whole lot of back and forth went on, some new teams came onboard from other states and we then had the Australian Football League and the VFA became the VFL.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Also, I think a lot of what I was watching was the Victorian Football League, because I remember seeing this logo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Vfl_logo.png. (broken link)
Yes, that was the logo for the VFL. To be honest I'm not sure if the AFL still has that logo.

Quote:
So, is the game basically a Melbourne dominated sport and league or is it more national than it was in the past? Why aren't there more teams in or around Sydney? It seems like it is basically a league that if it was in the US it would be dominated by the NYC metro area.
It originated in Victoria and then moves were made to make it a National game. I think they've tried unsuccessfully over the years to have more teams in each state, the most successful of those are SA and WA but I think it hasn't been as popular in Sydney due to the rugby, so they've only got the one AFL team, the Sydney Swans. Sydney does have a whole other league for Australian Rugby League though and they have a tonne of teams. Mostly they play against Queensland I think, another state with only one AFL team. And there's the National Rugby League as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League

It's complicated ckh, I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly.

And yes, your analogy is correct. If it happened in the US it would have been dominated by the NYC area teams and then kinda branched out across the country in incriments.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes, that was the logo for the VFL. To be honest I'm not sure if the AFL still has that logo.

It originated in Victoria and then moves were made to make it a National game. I think they've tried unsuccessfully over the years to have more teams in each state, the most successful of those are SA and WA but I think it hasn't been as popular in Sydney due to the rugby, so they've only got the one AFL team, the Sydney Swans. Sydney does have a whole other league for Australian Rugby League though and they have a tonne of teams. Mostly they play against Queensland I think, another state with only one AFL team. And there's the National Rugby League as well.

National Rugby League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australian Rugby League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's complicated ckh, I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly.

And yes, your analogy is correct. If it happened in the US it would have been dominated by the NYC area teams and then kinda branched out across the country in incriments.
No, I totally understand what you are saying and it does seem like a struggle to get the sport to become nationalized. It's been a while since I've followed it too, but they still show games on the local sports channel here in Syracuse NY.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No, I totally understand what you are saying and it does seem like a struggle to get the sport to become nationalized. It's been a while since I've followed it too, but they still show games on the local sports channel here in Syracuse NY.
I suspect that it will never become nationalized here to the extent that you see over there, simply because we lack the population and because of the different codes providing too much competition. For instance NRL (Rugby) has it's own Footy Show (NRL) which is shown in the Northern states and is separate but run to the same format as the Footy Show (AFL) which we see here. They do show the NRL Footy Show after the AFL Footy Show on the same night though. I'm assuming that the hierachy is different in the states where ARL is more prevelent.

I do remember when the first push for nationalization of the Aussie Rules code began that our local team's governing body went through some changes including mergers and name changes. Those teams are feeders for what is now the Victorian Football League (formerly the VFA) which is a feeder for the Australian Football League and I'm pretty sure we still have the VFA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Football_League

It's great that you get it there on the tele, it's a shame we don't get Ice Hockey and Baseball here regularly! I'd love to watch those!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,058,676 times
It used to be Fox Sports had heaps of AFL on the tv here in the states but I can't find it anymore so it's been years since I've seen a game. Same with Super 14 which was well covered and then that disappeared as well a few years ago.

Western Australia and South Australia still have their own AFL leagues with teams which function as minor league teams that feed their main teams in the national AFL system like Port Adelaide or Fremantle Dockers. The VFL is still around as well doing the same thing.

The Gold Coast is getting it's own AFL team, so there will be 2 teams in QLD soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or