U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They cracked down on stuff in New York under Giulliani and it seemed to help
We're incapable of "cracking down" on anyone here as cops are few and far between in Oz. Even my kids, before they were teens, noticed the lack of cops here, wondering if they all drove around in unmarked cars or something.

Besides, that's such an old-fashioned concept - "cracking down" on criminals. No, we're supposed to get all warm and fuzzy and understand their angst and feelings of marginalisation and oppression. Group hugs everyone!

Now even the Chinese are joining in, concerned about the safety of Chinese students in Oz (convenient distraction for anniversary of Tiananmen?). And still I'm reading comments from the govt that shows they refuse to see the elephant in the room - our lack of law and order. And Warney's going on about how it's "atrocious" what's happening to Indian students. Of course it is, but it's atrocious that this happens to anyone in this country, with little or no consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Besides, that's such an old-fashioned concept - "cracking down" on criminals. No, we're supposed to get all warm and fuzzy and understand their angst and feelings of marginalisation and oppression. Group hugs everyone!
Not in Toronto, thankfully.

Volent crime and crime in general is very low per capita in Toronto compared to even a lot of smaller Canadian cities,
and this in part to a decade long effort to crack down on organized crime.
It's possible that over 100 gang members have been rounded up, "booked" and taken off the streets in the last few years.
We're still not "safe" as murders that we do have often end up being more dramatic, more "brazen" than before,
but I take some comfort in knowing that I'm much less likely to be a crime victim here.

Plus it probably helps with insurance rates too.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 AM

787 posts, read 1,512,217 times
I have been following this whole thing a little in that I've read a few dozen articles from both Aus and Indian media. It's refreshing and also disheartening to know that Australia's media's efforts to sensationalize reports are matched in other countries. But my thoughts in no particular order:
1. Apparently it has been 70 recorded assaults in the past year on Indian students of whom number over 70,000. That equates to a rate of 100 per 100,000. If you look at Assault statistics the rate across Australia is 840 assaults per 100,000. So there is certainly a media beat up.
2. I doubt all of the assaults were race-related, however I doubt that none of them weren't as the police claimed. I think this claim has irk'ed a lot of Indians as it should - there is certainly racism in India and the Indians deny it (take for example the whole Andrew Symonds situation) and Australians were outraged that they denied it and took no action.
3. Why on earth racist people would single out Indians, i don't know. They don't form gangs here, nor try to impose their culture upon the rest of Australia - the two characteristics of previous ethnic immigrants whom have been targeted by racist groups.
4. As someone previously mentioned, Indians seem very passionate and emotional at times. Showing a video of an Indian student being beaten up on a train with the words "racist Australia targets Indians" is just going to whip many of them up into a frenzy. Which leads to ...
5. Anyone in Australia remember the "Our Schappell facing INJUSTICE in Indonesia!" reports? Same thing. It was all over the news - Indonesian police handling a poor, misguided, young, Aussie woman. Similar reaction - ie boycott Indonesia, they're a bunch of inhumane people, they're corrupt, etc etc.
6. One of the Australian media's response to this debacle was to sensationalize a report that showed some Indians burning an effigy of PM Rudd. It was pathetic because this being committed by 100 people in a country of 1 billion.
7. I've also noticed that about I would guess 80% of comments in the papers from Indians living in India is that Australia is a racist country, it's corrupt, India is a beautiful utopia, etc. While 80% of the responses from Indians living in Australia is Australia isn't a racist country, it's government is fine, India isn't particularly great, etc etc.
But most importantly, and this has been highlighted already:
8. The Indian students are simply commenting on an aspect of Australian society I agree with and despise: the total apathy towards violent crime in Australia. I hate the way people say "a girl shouldn't dress provactively if she doesn't want male attention," or "don't catch this train alone at night." People should be free to do anything (within the law) without the fear that they may be assaulted.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM

15 posts, read 26,156 times
Excellent post Vincel, though I live in US, and has tentative plans to move Australia....based on my knowledge what I gather so far...Australia is wonderful country..nice place to settle down for good.

This is a real Law and Order issue....I would guess this is a wake up call for Australian Govt. I am afraid this whole issue is going to cost significantly specifically for higher education industry in Asutralia, which is worth of 2-3 US billion dollar.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We don't have a racism problem, we have a law and order problem. We've seen and heard of enough sickening, brutal attacks by scum of all colour/ethnicity. And the useless *****s on the bench just let them off with pathetic "sentences", sometimes with no sentences whatsoever. Therefore, our criminal class is empowered and emboldened due to the lack of consequences.

There've been a few Indian students attacked in Perth as well. One of them, a female student with cerebral palsy. It was particularly vile, but scum is scum and they don't care, as nothing much will happen to them as a result. In Perth's case, attackers are most often of a certain group, who always factor high in crime figures anyway but they rarely get any sort of proper judgement. Apparently, they're "disadvantaged" therefore can't be held responsible. I wonder if the attackers in Melbourne are also from some "poor, disadvantaged" group?

I like the fact that these protests have occurred, to bring a serious problem to light. I have a faint glimmer of hope that the authorities will take a look at the crux of the problem and start doing something about our lack of law and order. Or maybe I'm being far too optimistic, even delusional.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 PM

17 posts, read 27,845 times
I understand Indian media is behaving irresponsibly. These people have got into the habit of making things sensational. There is no dearth of racism within India itself. Australia is a beautiful place and even Indians love it a lot and itís sad that Australia is being projected as a racist country due to some awkward incidents. Why canít this world live in harmony?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,031 times
Oh please, the media always blows EVERYTHING up. There are attack on ALL colours, asians, indians, africans, even aussies here in melbourne and all over australia. You just don't hear about it. I spose at this time, indian students are just an easy target, and because there are so many indians in melbourne, of course they have enough numbers to protest.

I heard one indian man say "we like australia, australians dont like us"

WE are one of the most MULTICULTURAL countries in the world, we accept and respect all NATIONALITIES and their beliefs - BUT i think, alot of foreigners who do migrate here - dont want to assimilate with US, and think were a **** country with no culture.

DONT even get me started on how they rip off CENTRELINK!

And what about those Australians who died in India for that bomb attack huh??

THEY lost their lives for NO REASON, this student just in a coma. Not saying its acceptable but..

And that stupid Trujillo calling us racist and backwards. What a f-ing *******, we accepted him with flying colours, then he goes back to the states and says that ****.

Grrr, anyway. People who start fights, and hurt others, just do that to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities, and this happens EVERYWHERE not just AUSTRALIA.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,491,787 times
This is just a media beat up. I'm sure there are racial tensions in most every country on Earth.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM

65 posts, read 112,122 times
Default ethic

On Radio National this morning an Indian victim claimed a Lebanese gang was involved. Elsewhere, like Andrew Bolt in the Herald Sun, there's reference to attackers being of Somali ethnicity. Is there some underlying psycholoigical problem with new and 1st generation migrants we've opened our doors and wallets for? If so, there's a painless and quick cure in Singapore. Its a quick trial and a hanging. Problem solved.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilaketahoe View Post
On Radio National this morning an Indian victim claimed a Lebanese gang was involved. Elsewhere, like Andrew Bolt in the Herald Sun, there's reference to attackers being of Somali ethnicity. Is there some underlying psycholoigical problem with new and 1st generation migrants we've opened our doors and wallets for? If so, there's a painless and quick cure in Singapore. Its a quick trial and a hanging. Problem solved.
Here in the United States the worst racism currently is generally BETWEEN "minority" groups. Hate crime statistics back this up.

Lots of reasons for this...many of them cultural.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
WW

I dunno about Aussie racism, but their cricket team does indulge in intensive racist sledging during cricket matches with India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

The stumps do have microphones these days and one could clearly hear all kinds of sledging.

Darren Lehmann was out during a high intensity chase match, under lights. As the Sri Lankans were celebrating his dismissal he turned around and screamed, "black coc**"

I have followed cricket since I was 5 or 6. You can say cricket addict.

So, the problem can be there. But those protesting students and the Indian media are STUPID. I once met a Kenyan dude who personally confided in me that his Indian classmates in the University of New Delhi openly called him "monkey" for his appearance.

Do I get to hang my head in shame? Yes

Also, dark-skinners have a self-victimizing psyche. Glad I'm an exception
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand