U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,515,403 times

Advertisements

Multi-culturturism = racism.

Indian students in Melbournes suburbs have been threatened with death. What a disgrace. And we are led to believe that multiculturism is god's gift to Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM

787 posts, read 1,515,474 times
Quote:
I once met a Kenyan dude who personally confided in me that his Indian classmates in the University of New Delhi openly called him "monkey" for his appearance.
there's footage you can find easily on youtube which shows the Indian crowds calling Andrew Symonds monkey and making monkey gestures at him. We were told it was a cultural misunderstanding.

I know the Australian team are -and probably deservedly so- the most notorious for their sledging, but having heard what's come out of the mouths of some Indian cricket players I don't think they've got much of a leg to stand on. If any team could, it would be ones like New Zealand, Sri Lanka or the W.Indies.

Quote:
Multi-culturturism = racism.
yeah i think the problem with multiculturalism is that instead of identifying each other as one, big group, they're divided on little things and this has historically always caused social friction to the point of wars (take for example the Tutsis and Hutu's in the Rwandan genocide). I think multiculturalism is good for newly arrived immigrants as it makes it easier for them, but in the long run it's not good for the country.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM

27 posts, read 62,617 times
Racism is worng and cannot be tolerated. It's s shame that those Indian students were attacked and the local authorities did little to help them.
I would say that alot of this was hyped up by the media. The local leaders of the indian community in Sydney and Melbourne all said that there was no problems with racism against Indians and was wrong of the media beating this story up.
Australians are not racist, and from the stories I read some of the attacks in Sydney were from a gang of Lebanese youths. Interestingly probably from the same trouble makers that stirred up the Cronulla riots and brought out all the crazy anti immigration mobs. These racist scum exist in all countries and do not represent what Australians think!
The main problem in Australia is that most state governments will do lock away the perpetual troublemakers who attack the vulnerable. Instaed they make excuses for them and let them out on the streets. There was a serial mugger going through Curtin university attacking women and overseas students, they caught a perpetrator (who was from a particular race) and surprise surprise the crimes have stopped.
So it is totally wrong to label Australians as racist!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 27,797 times
This is quite sickening to think the media is holding onto a story for such a long time, dragging it out and making it a bigger deal than it ever should have been. Every country has their racism issues and I dont like the fact that we are being portraide as the land of the racism. I'm sorry but me personally, I love new cultures and different backgrounds I think it adds a little more culture to our beautiful country. We all usually gain something wonderful out of it whether it be excellent doctors or great international cuisine.... I personally am married to a tall dark and handsome American and not once have we copped any racial remarks as a interracial couple. A few people in the country in any country can kill it for everyone. STOP HATING PEOPLES!!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,362,061 times
Multi-culturalism is a different thing from the type of self-segregation we see of some of the newer immigrants. I think it's good to encourage different cultures, but just as important to encourage a national identity, a sense of unity, community, mutual respect and the collective goodness.

I have to say Middle Eastern and some Indian people have, for some reason, been at the forefront of racial tensions because some of them take on an adversarial approach to race relations and also because of the ignorance of some Australians. I see a lot of factionism occuring among say the Lebanese which is reminiscent of Pakistanis in Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand