U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 AM

58 posts, read 188,774 times

Advertisements

a problem, you can have your own say in here too.

lately with the whole 'attacks on Indians' lately in Sydney and Melbourne, and comments made by Indian Media portraying us Aussies as 'racists' because of a few boys who thought it was 'fantastic' to go 'curry bashing'. Indians having protests in India and burning pictures of Kevin Rudd.

daaaamn, anyone have a say?
Crazily, im from Melbourne...everyone talking about it, but im just sick of how the media is making it so big especially the India media.
'Aussie, The Racist Land' that's what a news reporter said!.

anyone has a say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,183,162 times
It's not right that anyone should be attacked on public transport or anywhere else.

It's ridiculous to expect people NOT to speak in whatever language they're most comfortable with for fear of reprisal and I can appreciate on some level it's probably not great being told not to take expensive gadgets on trains. (although I think you're nuts if you're warned not to and you persist anyway.)

However a few things I note:

I am more than well aware that women have been advised on how to ensure their safety on public transport and after dark in Melbourne repeatedly and I don't see them hitching up their skirts and marching en masse to Flinders Street Station and destroying public property in protest.

On one of the pieces of footage showing an attack on one of the trains VERY CLEARLY you can see that one of the attackers is Asian or of Asian decent. So it begs the question what is the nationality or origin of the attackers? If it's one ethnic group vs another ethnic group HOW is it that the assumption is always made that it's white anglo saxon Australians doing the attacking and the ones being racist? (I'm not saying that it's not either, I think we're all well aware that it is sometimes but it seems thugs and racism comes in many different guises. I think it's important to note it's not just anglo saxon Australians doing this.)

The police force in this state has been a sorry state of affairs for a very long time AND the state of the public transport system in terms of passenger safety (ALL PASSENGERS) is even worse. I didn't see a world wide protest when Connex "transit police" beat up that white kid for failing to show his ticket.

AND wasn't it just last month that I saw the footage of 6 or so Sudanese youth beating some poor kid almost to death for no readily apparent reason in one of the station subways.

I think this kind of behaviour is endemic, particularly on public transport and it crosses all backgrounds. Both in terms of victims and perpertrators.

So I guess my take is, any kind of violence perpertrated by anyone is wrong and needs to be stopped.

Making a lot of noise and carrying on like pork chops doesn't necessarily make me more sympathetic to a cause and in this case it has achieved the exact opposite. AND if it's spread to India and they're also carrying on like idiots then I'm equally unimpressed.

I haven't caught public transport after dark in this city for a very long time simply because I have been subject to attack and dangerous situations in the past and the police did exactly zero about it then too!
I didn't gather up all my mates and march on Flinders Street when it happened I simply accepted that I would need to moderate my behaviour in order to stay safe.

Not sure what to tell you HH61. I know I'm not racist. I'm not much fussed if the whole of India wants to chuck a tanty and throw a bunch of sledging around. Good on 'em. If they're not interested in being a part of a sensible solution then I don't really care what they do.

Do you remember there was a similar protest by immigrant cab drivers at Flinders Street a while ago? Appalling what happened to their colleague. What they thought protesting was going to do to fix it I'll never know.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,615,605 times
It's total nonsense to say "all" Aussies are racist, after all we all didn't partake in those despicable beatings. Unfortunately the actions of a few tar us all with the same brush.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
I find it ironic that there are protests in India about this sort of thing....especially since they still have thier own racist caste system still functioning (just a bit more subtlely than in the past).

The old saying, "we are least tolerant of the sins we commit" springs to mind.

This stuff happens in the US too...the Irony being that often hate crimes here are minority vs. minority.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
I'm an Australian living in India at the moment, and its true the media are just going to town on the "racism in Australia" story. However, other than that, no one has said anything to me or behaved any differently at all - the only comment I've heard was from an Indian friend of mine who had studied in Melbourne, who was stunned by the whole thing - she loves Melbourne, and couldn't believe it. My husband (who is Indian) said a few people spoke to him at work about it, and he just told them that when we lived in Melbourne it was all very peaceful.

This whole fuss seems to be getting kicked up because the media doesn't have anything else to report on at the moment. Some of it's been pretty tacky too - showing the images of the students getting hauled off from the protest but forgetting to mention they were doing property damage at the time, and so on.

Also worth mentioning that almost every Indian interviewed about their "attack experiences" in Melbourne have also had something nice to say about the place, like there's a lot of decent people there, etc, which is pretty understanding all things considered (if I'd just been beaten up in a foreign country I think I could be forgiven for being a little cranky about it).

Don't get too strung out about the Indian coverage - India's just a passionate place - they cover all stories a bit like this. They have no particular issues with Australia other than Ricky Ponting (who seems to be universally hated). And they love Shane Warne

I've been with my husband over 12 years now, and in that time I've heard Indians grumble about a lot of things in Australia, and a lot of Australians grumble about India, and it's mostly about when their expectations over something just didn't get met. Why are the Indians walking home alone at night and then getting ticked off over being mugged? Well, speaking for Mumbai at least, you CAN walk home at night over here in relative safety. Do you remember those train bombings in Mumbai two years ago? All the commuters (and there were a couple million of them) walked home that night, and all the locals came out of their homes to stand on the street corners and give them food at stoplights for the journey. One of my husband's cousins was still walking at 2am, when she was approached by two homeless men, beggars. But instead of attacking her or trying to take her wallet or some such, they offered her a bottle of water and half a packet of biscuits, in case she was hungry.

India's funny like that. Don't judge the students too harshly, they might just come through with biscuits-and-water when you least expect it.

And as for the student protest, I kinda support it - its about time somebody got the apathetic western suburbs police to sit up and take notice that there are some problems out there. I used to live in the western suburbs of Melbourne for years, and would really appreciate it if the streets were a bit safer to walk at nights. (I mean, personally i'd love it if someone offered me biscuits and water when I got off the train at Sunshine...

As for the idea that the caste system is still functioning over here - maybe in the villages and the more conservative cities, but I haven't seen much of it in Mumbai.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
We don't have a racism problem, we have a law and order problem. We've seen and heard of enough sickening, brutal attacks by scum of all colour/ethnicity. And the useless *****s on the bench just let them off with pathetic "sentences", sometimes with no sentences whatsoever. Therefore, our criminal class is empowered and emboldened due to the lack of consequences.

There've been a few Indian students attacked in Perth as well. One of them, a female student with cerebral palsy. It was particularly vile, but scum is scum and they don't care, as nothing much will happen to them as a result. In Perth's case, attackers are most often of a certain group, who always factor high in crime figures anyway but they rarely get any sort of proper judgement. Apparently, they're "disadvantaged" therefore can't be held responsible. I wonder if the attackers in Melbourne are also from some "poor, disadvantaged" group?

I like the fact that these protests have occurred, to bring a serious problem to light. I have a faint glimmer of hope that the authorities will take a look at the crux of the problem and start doing something about our lack of law and order. Or maybe I'm being far too optimistic, even delusional.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We don't have a racism problem, we have a law and order problem. We've seen and heard of enough sickening, brutal attacks by scum of all colour/ethnicity. And the useless *****s on the bench just let them off with pathetic "sentences", sometimes with no sentences whatsoever. Therefore, our criminal class is empowered and emboldened due to the lack of consequences.
You nailed it.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
We don't need the Indian media to play that card and stir up accusations of racism. Our own media does a fine job of that already. I'm really sick of the way it divides people for the sake of sensationalism .

Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 AM

58 posts, read 188,774 times
Quote:

There've been a few Indian students attacked in Perth as well. One of them, a female student with cerebral palsy. It was particularly vile, but scum is scum and they don't care, as nothing much will happen to them as a result. In Perth's case, attackers are most often of a certain group, who always factor high in crime figures anyway but they rarely get any sort of proper judgement. Apparently, they're "disadvantaged" therefore can't be held responsible. I wonder if the attackers in Melbourne are also from some "poor, disadvantaged" group?

I like the fact that these protests have occurred, to bring a serious problem to light. I have a faint glimmer of hope that the authorities will take a look at the crux of the problem and start doing something about our lack of law and order. Or maybe I'm being far too optimistic, even delusional.
amen to that mate.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:

Excellent post. They cracked down on stuff in New York under Giulliani and it seemed to help (although the exact impact is muddied given the correlations to how the economy performs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand