Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,716,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's what I meant. We won't intentionally let you bleed to death from a severed limb or anything . Just don't expect us to pay for it, if you're not eligible for Medicare. Private healthcare coverage is advisable. I hear you need that in Ontario and a couple of other provinces for the first 3 months if you move to Canada?

What are you thinking as far as living/working here? I believe that you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes if you're a wandering backpacker. But if you're here, on a working visa, in a job for several months or a year, then you're a resident and get charged Aussie rates for tax. But I still think Medicare is not part of the package.
Now I understand.
How expensive is private healthcare in Australia?
I hear our's is still nowhere near what it costs in the U.S.A. (1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc.)

I was hoping to get a working visa mostly. That sounds a lot nicer being charged the resident's tax rate. In that case, there'd be no difference in "take home pay" vs. "gross" in Australia, instead of Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,702,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Now I understand.
How expensive is private healthcare in Australia?
I hear our's is still nowhere near what it costs in the U.S.A. (1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc.)
Depends on level of cover. There's two facets to private health insurance: Hospital Cover and Ancillary (dental, optical, chiro, physio, ambulance, etc.). You'd want hospital cover but can think about whether you need ancillary or not.

Cost is likely around the $180-$200 per month range. You can get online quotes from the companies' websites. Some suggestions: HBF, Medibank Private, HIF, etc.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Depends on level of cover. There's two facets to private health insurance: Hospital Cover and Ancillary (dental, optical, chiro, physio, ambulance, etc.). You'd want hospital cover but can think about whether you need ancillary or not.

Cost is likely around the $180-$200 per month range. You can get online quotes from the companies' websites. Some suggestions: HBF, Medibank Private, HIF, etc.
What you describe as "Ancillary coverage" are services typically covered in Canada under an employer's "health benefits plan,"
available to all who work full-time, and some people who work part-time.

This is national coverage and/or not covered by Australian employers?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
What you describe as "Ancillary coverage" are services typically covered in Canada under an employer's "health benefits plan," available to all who work full-time, and some people who work part-time.
You got it. The company I worked for in Vancouver provided this. Similar levels and limits too, like $2000 lifetime limit for orthodontics, $200/yr for optical, and various dental procedures were covered in varying percentages. Same here. You always pay extra at the dentist, depending on what you have done.

Quote:
This is national coverage and/or not covered by Australian employers?
No, employers here don't have "health benefits" as a rule. I think they used to a while back, but nowadays, you're on your own as far as ancillary healthcare. Employer benefits are pretty basic - 4 weeks of paid annual leave (vacation), usually 10 days of sick days (but some companies don't keep track), carer's leave (if your kid or other close family member is sick), bereavement leave (for deaths in the family), a few weeks of maternity leave. But that's all company-dependent as to whether all of those are provided, and how much of it. Usually big corporations have the best benefits, as well as government. Small companies just provide the 4 weeks annual leave and sick leave, maybe some carer's or bereavement leave but often not.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No, employers here don't have "health benefits" as a rule. I think they used to a while back, but nowadays, you're on your own as far as ancillary healthcare. Employer benefits are pretty basic - 4 weeks of paid annual leave (vacation), usually 10 days of sick days (but some companies don't keep track), carer's leave (if your kid or other close family member is sick), bereavement leave (for deaths in the family), a few weeks of maternity leave. But that's all company-dependent as to whether all of those are provided, and how much of it. Usually big corporations have the best benefits, as well as government. Small companies just provide the 4 weeks annual leave and sick leave, maybe some carer's or bereavement leave but often not.
Ah, so that's something to consider too.

Here, it's not counted as income, just provided for by the employer... (I think )
Are people able to buy "Ancillary Coverage" with "before income tax" money, or "tax deductible" money?

What about "Pension Plans"...
I hear that employers don't have their own plans, but you do have a national plan.
Is this contributed to in addition to an employees earnings?
(won't count as part of your earnings for tax purposes?)

Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Here, it's not counted as income, just provided for by the employer... (I think )
Are people able to buy "Ancillary Coverage" with "before income tax" money, or "tax deductible" money??
After-tax dollars. And if you're a high wage earner and don't take out private health insurance, you get charged an extra Medicare Levy on your income tax. Current govt is working on making private health cover more expensive.

Quote:
What about "Pension Plans"...
I hear that employers don't have their own plans, but you do have a national plan.
Is this contributed to in addition to an employees earnings?
(won't count as part of your earnings for tax purposes?)
No company plans like in Canada. Employer has to contribute at least 9% of your gross pay towards your Superannuation account. Some employers contribute more. You can add more to it. There's also a government pension, like CPP. But is not great, like Canada. Bare minimum. Best to save up extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand