U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,916,719 times

Advertisements

Just a random question,
but I hear it's one of the things some people boast about Canada; being relatively prosperous.
(not in relation to Oz, but I'd thought I'd throw out the question)

I have heard of Australia being "The Lucky Country",
and I couldn't see most Canadians feeling quite that way;
our climate is undesireable to most people,
so "prosperous" makes sense, as we generally have a decent economy and political structure,
plus claiming to be "prosperous" is a way to describe us in a positive light
without reminding Canadians of our climate. ()

*whereas "The Lucky Country" seems to generically describe all aspects of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,849,999 times
One thing Canada has going for it is oil and gas reserves, and a small population to share in the bounty. Canada could become the next Saudi Arabia in our lifetimes. Unfortunately, a good share of the gas reserves are locked up in Nunavut where it sits untapped while jurisdictional/sovereignty issues are sorted out.

With regard to Canada's climate, it's kind of funny to see a population distribution map. It's like 90% of the country is huddled up against the U.S. for warmth. Canada is the outer layer of the penguin huddle.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:11 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,990,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One thing Canada has going for it is oil and gas reserves, and a small population to share in the bounty. Canada could become the next Saudi Arabia in our lifetimes.

Unfortunately, a good share of the gas reserves are locked up in Nunavut where it sits untapped while jurisdictional/sovereignty issues are sorted out.
here is a website with info on Canada's natural gas production..
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Canada/NaturalGas.html

Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times
I'd much rather live in Oz to be honest...Canada's climate is a huge turn-off. Apart from that, though, it might be nice.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd much rather live in Oz to be honest...Canada's climate is a huge turn-off. Apart from that, though, it might be nice.
Yes, but what I mean by "prosperous" is $$$, not . ( )
Probably less than 0.01% of Canadians would be satisified to never leave Canada in their lifetime, even for a short vacation.
(I'm guessing there are quite a lot of Aussies that wouldn't mind never leaving Oz? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover
One thing Canada has going for it is oil and gas reserves, and a small population to share in the bounty. Canada could become the next Saudi Arabia in our lifetimes. Unfortunately, a good share of the gas reserves are locked up in Nunavut where it sits untapped while jurisdictional/sovereignty issues are sorted out.
Also, good points about Canada having a lot of oil reserves,
however if business can't take advantage of it (political reasons?) it does us no good.

So for arguements' sake,
I mean Canada at present or recent past,
does it seem that Canadians are more "well off" financially than Australians?
(not merely looking at "after tax dollars;" as challenges of Canadian winters probably cause a higher cost of living.)

Before this economic slowdown,
say pre-2004 or pre-9/11,
most Canadians would say the U.S.A. is more prosperous overall than Canada. (per capita)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-07-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM

787 posts, read 1,513,149 times
Both countries have landed themselves on land full of wealthy minerals. But once you look past that, Canada seems to have a lot more going for it - it has direct access to the worlds' largest market. In terms of individual wealth, both countries seem to be on par.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,498,238 times
I've always seen Canada as quite similar to Australia, in terms of the similarities in the way people live (i.e. you wont get a culture shock if travelling between the 2 countries), both are large landmasses with small populations, with the majority living in the state capitals, both have hit mineral wealth, are Commonwealth countries, similar style of road networks, even down to the road markings and signs, etc.

The only major difference I see is the climate! Give me Australia anyday in this department
But Canada has more spectacular landscapes (the Rockies.....truly stunning places there)

As for being the "lucky country", I'd say any resident that lives in a country which is well off with good infrastructure, allows its people freedom to move about, do what they want and express their opinions is "lucky" Notable exceptions are North Korea and Saudi Arabia

Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
The only major difference I see is the climate! Give me Australia anyday in this department
But Canada has more spectacular landscapes (the Rockies.....truly stunning places there)

As for being the "lucky country", I'd say any resident that lives in a country which is well off with good infrastructure, allows its people freedom to move about, do what they want and express their opinions is "lucky" Notable exceptions are North Korea and Saudi Arabia
I'm actually hesitant to visit the Canadian Rockies due to most of it being "sub-Arctic" in climate.
(with altitude causing it to be in that climate in some cases)
But yes SAB, very beautiful (from the pics I've seen),
though I think you and I would want a "space suit" to fully appreciate its beauty

*I don't know if this counts as "Rockies"
but I'd like to see the Okanagan Valley in extreme south central B.C. sometime.
Parts of it are desert-like, and it's common for it to hit 40 C at least once.
Too bad it's so far away; north Florida is nearly half the distance.

The "Lucky Country" is just a nickname for Australia.
That's why I was using it for comparison.
The fact that there's "no real winter" as well as having many "First World" perks could be part of the reason for the nickname.
(Many countries are warm-to-tropical, but most of them have "problems" too )

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Both countries have landed themselves on land full of wealthy minerals. But once you look past that, Canada seems to have a lot more going for it - it has direct access to the worlds' largest market. In terms of individual wealth, both countries seem to be on par.
What I like about it personally is not the "access to the markets,"
but access to a greater variety of travel destinations within a given flight time,
like even Europe or South America in 6-8 hours.

Travelling in the U.S.A. is usually cheaper than travelling in Canada,
and there's plenty of different kinds of places I'd like to see just over the border.

^^ Imho, that's irrelevant to "prosperity" though.
Dubai is extremely prosperous, yet a Dubai resident would have a long flight to go anywhere that isn't "hot and dry."

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,513,149 times
Quote:
What I like about it personally is not the "access to the markets,"
but access to a greater variety of travel destinations within a given flight time,
like even Europe or South America in 6-8 hours.
by access to markets, I meant in terms of trading. Australia can't manufacture a product and then move it just over the border into a very wealthy market nor is it as easy for an Australian businessman to develop clients in a market outside the country, etc etc.

As for Europe being close, for Australia it's Asia. If you lived in Darwin, you would be 4 hours flight to Singapore which is an Asian hub. Unfortunately, flights here aren't so cheap unless you wait for some special sale (i got tickets to go to fly to New Zealand each way for $38). Those don't come very often, though.

*edit* as for Dubai - it's a 6-7 hour flight from Dubai to Zurich which is about the same as Montreal to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand