U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 20,919 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am interested in studying abroad for a year in either Sydney or London. Im not quite sure which one to pick. Im a 25 years old african amercan female. im looking for a place where there is a lot to do, a good nightlife, and friendly people. London looks interesting because it is diverse, and I could travel throughout europe cheaply. Sydney looks interesting because of the weather, nightlife, and it's a little bit more affordable than london. I am a student so I cant live lavishly, and I know London is pricey. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,088,855 times
Hey i25,

Sydney and London probably aren't much different when it comes to costs of living as both rank incredibly high along with other cities like Moscow, New York City, Tokyo, etc. If you're bringing over your own money, though, it'll stretch further in Sydney. I personally didn't like London myself when I was there as it seemed very dark, cold, gloomy and dirty. That aside, London is several times the size of Sydney, has a lot of history as well as excellent museums, is as you say, a gateway to Europe and only eight or so hours from New York. It's also the number one destination for young Australians. Sydney on the other hand is more warm and sunny but probably 16 or so hours from Los Angeles and on the wrong side of Australia to easily reach Asia.

If you don't mind the gloomy weather, I would recommend London.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 29,286 times
Both are great cities. It depends on what you kind of experience are after. If you want the history/museums aspect pick london and also if you desperatly want to travel through europe go london. On the other hand if you want more of a laid back and fun year spent at the beach pick sydney. Also if you want to travel while you are in Aus there are plently of beautiful place up both the east and west coast.

If I were you I would study in Sydney and have a fun year at the beach and travelling around this great country. I would then work in London once you finish studying and hopefully the econmony has picked up and use you $pounds to travel europe.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,474,347 times
If I were you, I'd head to London full stop. Very cheap flights to Europe, lots of culture and history dating back thousands of years.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM

55 posts, read 96,977 times
Another vote for London. I have lived in both London and Sydney and live in Australia now. While I HATED working in London, you can't compare the travel opportunities between the two. At your age, I would go to London and see as much as Europe as I could afford to do.

Saying that though - - if you are not going to be able to go on trips to other countries and you are going to be stuck in London for a year, I would say come to Sydney. You would probably have a better time on a day to day basis. London, in my opinion, is pretty darn miserable. (But history, architecture, etc. is fantastic! : )

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,673,733 times
I live in Sydney, but would say London just because of its access to Europe. The weather is crap however, and like Syd, it's hideously expensive. OTOH, Aus is so isolated, culturally and physically; I'd save Aust for later..I think you have a wider range of opportunities in London.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,520,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitive25 View Post
Hello,

I am interested in studying abroad for a year in either Sydney or London. Im not quite sure which one to pick. Im a 25 years old african amercan female. im looking for a place where there is a lot to do, a good nightlife, and friendly people. London looks interesting because it is diverse, and I could travel throughout europe cheaply. Sydney looks interesting because of the weather, nightlife, and it's a little bit more affordable than london. I am a student so I cant live lavishly, and I know London is pricey. Any suggestions???
Sydney! I'm an American who spent a couple years living in Australia. Loved it and Sydney is a fun city with great dining and nightlife! It is also much more affordable compared to London and Australians enjoy talking to Americans (or at least they enjoyed talking to me when I was there). It will be a great experience and once again the people are very friendly, even in a big city such as Sydney. London is so expensive especially with the exchange rate. Going clubbing will bankrupt you unless you stick to the cheap joints and the weather sucks. If you have more specific questions, just ask or DM me. I strongly believe you will have a much better experience studying abroad in Sydney.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 12,998 times
your a youth go to china and live life to the max,party life in china just insane

would'nt advise if ur not a fan of communism

Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,690,774 times
London would get my vote although Sydney is a fine city also it is not on the same level as London,a truely world city and easy access to so many places.
Find Australia very expensive and while London is hardly cheap you get more for your dollar there than in OZ.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 971,503 times
I guess it ultimately depends on whether you are after culture or lifestyle. London is a fantastic base for Europe (and London itself is a great place to explore) whereas Australia offers better outdoors opportunities.

These days your money will stretch a lot further in the UK, although if you're earning Australian currency, then this is somewhat negated. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand