Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
It seems like from the start the Maori were more respected by the European settlers than the Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders were.

Maori still face social problems and racism in New Zealand, but in general they seem far more assimilated into the national identity, while Australian Aborigines seem to be left so far behind in the system.

The Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi was Maori revelation of protecting the heritage and self identity. But Maori also had a constitution which was signed 10 years previous. Supported the Treaty Claims. Tupuna's (Ancestors) feared the change to Maori Dynamics, but understood that change needed to come in order for the coming generation to keep identity, traditions, principles and Maori rights. Today Maori does not see themselves as better educated or civilized than its brother of Australia the aborigines or Torres Straits, but rather grateful for the existence of a relationship they have as a strong black nation. Aborigines have a lot to teach and offer, they are preserved people living in their environment and not the back door of another. There is no comparison between Maori and Aborigines, just different journey's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes well, I get sick of maori people and the media claiming maori are the indigenous people of NZ. This is completely false. The Moriori are (and there are still some here in various degrees). The maori ate off most of the Moriori's.
Oh dear another confused visitor, Moriori are and have always been Maori, just a different iwi.
Had another visitor to NZ claim that, he turned down a $20,000 bet based on DNA when I showed him a report done on the Moriori iwi.
I admit I am tired of BNP supporting types being in NZ from the UK.
Time we chucked them out.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeko View Post
Maoris weren't more respected, they were more feared.

I'd vote for this theory. It was exactly what came to mind as I opened this thread.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 AM

84 posts, read 257,185 times
Interestingly, Maori were even treated better than aborigines in Australia; Maori were allowed to vote in Australia while aborigines weren't until much more recently (1962).

"...During the parliamentary debates over the Act, King O'Malley supported the inclusion of Maori, and the exclusion of Australian Aboriginals, in the franchise, arguing that "An aboriginal is not as intelligent as a Maori."

Maori voting rights in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes well, I get sick of maori people and the media claiming maori are the indigenous people of NZ. This is completely false. The Moriori are (and there are still some here in various degrees). The maori ate off most of the Moriori's.

Uh...you may wish to research this. In the 1800s some Maori chartered a ship and invaded the Chathams, shooting and enslaving and cannabilising some of the Moriori occupants, yes. But that's nothing to do with eating the original inhabitants of NZ.

Last edited by Richard7666; 12-04-2009 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
Interestingly, Maori were even treated better than aborigines in Australia; Maori were allowed to vote in Australia while aborigines weren't until much more recently (1962).

"...During the parliamentary debates over the Act, King O'Malley supported the inclusion of Maori, and the exclusion of Australian Aboriginals, in the franchise, arguing that "An aboriginal is not as intelligent as a Maori."

Maori voting rights in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uh...you may wish to research this. In the 1800s some Maori chartered a ship and invaded the Chathams, shooting and enslaving and cannabilising some of the Moriori occupants, yes. But that's nothing to do with eating the original inhabitants of NZ.
Another little gem, when the white Australia policy came into force in the early 1900s ? the NZ govt got stuck into the Aussies about Maori not being allowed into Australia.
So the Australians got around that little problem by stating that NZ Maori were honourary whites in 1910 ?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 PM

84 posts, read 257,185 times
I think Maori have always been allowed into Australia. The white Australia policy made provisions for "New Zealand natives" from memory.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
I think Maori have always been allowed into Australia. The white Australia policy made provisions for "New Zealand natives" from memory.
Yep, you are right, I may have been thinking of this incident in 1948, the pity of it is that the 28th( Maori) Bat. were part of the Aust 9th Division at El Alamein.

(In 1948, however, Australia's federal Minister of Immigration attempted to ban Maori from settling in Australia, in accordance with the White Australia policy. Invoking existing immigration law which excluded Polynesians from Australia, the minister argued that Maori were Polynesians, and could therefore be excluded on racial grounds. The attempt reportedly created a minor diplomatic incident with New Zealand, and the minister involved apologised. Further attempts to restrict Maori immigration in the 1950s were overturned as they violated Maori's rights as British subjects and as New Zealand citizens.[7])

Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
i pretty sure that the Scots that went out to new Zealand respected the Maori's because they saw that both of their cultures were quite similar

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
probably better than the moriori?
The Moriori got eaten by the Maori. Therefore the Maori I think were more feared as stated by a few others.

Funny how the Maori now claim land that was never theirs in the first place.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The Moriori got eaten by the Maori. Therefore the Maori I think were more feared as stated by a few others.

Funny how the Maori now claim land that was never theirs in the first place.
The moriori people and the maori were one and the same people. The only difference is the moriori ancestors left NZ for chatam islands some years later.

That is an old theory that was used to morally justify the incursion of european into new zealand i.e well it wasn't their lands in the 1st place so we can now take it from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand