Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,942,269 times

Advertisements

Agree w/ waneroo.. that decision is up to you. There is a big difference between Europe and Australia; it would be like comparing apples to grapes.. you can't compare. Its a matter of personal choice and preference.

And of course an Australian will tell you to go to Europe. It would be something new to them.

If you asked an American if they should take a semester at another University in the US or go to Europe.. they would tell you the same thing.. go to europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 AM

13 posts, read 68,125 times
I have had friends from NJ study at UQ. It was probably 8 years ago but they loved it. There are no beaches in Brisbane. You would have to travel either an hour north to the Sunshine Coast or the same south to the Gold Coast. The music scene in Bris is ok. Lots of bars and a fairly friendly feel. If you went with a few other people and shared the cost of a car it would be a lot easier to see more. I know you said you were limited with your options, but if you could get to Bond or Griffith on the Gold Coast it sounds more like what you are looking for. Hope you have a great time

Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,996,177 times
I spent 6 months in Melbourne some years ago. The public transportation is relatively good there and the downtown area is nice. Melbourne does have nice arts centre complex if you are into more cultural style activities: Homepage - The Arts Centre - the home of the performing arts in Melbourne .

Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,835 times
Thank you all so much. And I am not looking to party, I specified bar as apposed to the club scene, because that is not MY scene, and I did not specify academics because I figured all the universities would be average or above average and I feel that you go abroad for more of what you learn outside the classroom which is what I am most concerned about. Just to clarify, and I am still open to any helpful comments as my mind is still jumping from one possible destination to another.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,942,269 times
Well you don't have much of a choice from Rutgers. Just go to UQ and you'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrachel88 View Post
Hi all I want to study abroad in the spring of this year (my junior year). I am a communication/english double major at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I know a very limited amount about the locations the schools are in and the culture which surrounds them so if anyone could provide some input/knowledge that would help greatly! There are three Universities to choose from for study abroad Australia through Rutgers: University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, and Macquarie University. I want a location where there are many things to do that are accessible within walking distance or by public transportation (I will not have a car). I would like to know about the quality of the various universities, about the location they are in, the climate of the locations, the friendless of the people, the activities of the location, what there is around to see/do, and how expensive is life in the various locations. I am looking for a location where I will get a feel of the city, be near fantastic beaches, be able to have "chill fun" aka listening to music in a bar (I'm not very rustic), meet some Australian students. I want a university with a UC Berkley or San Francisco feel, metropolitan yet beach - y. I only get to study abroad once in my college career so I want to make sure I get it right and have a blast. Our study abroad office sucks so again thank you for the help. Thanks!

Just to clarify, the universities listed above are the only universities I am considering as these are the available programs which Rutgers Study Abroad offers: studyabroad.rutgers.edu/
great article. I will bookmark this

Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 PM

991 posts, read 1,761,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrachel88 View Post
Thank you all so much. And I am not looking to party, I specified bar as apposed to the club scene, because that is not MY scene, and I did not specify academics because I figured all the universities would be average or above average and I feel that you go abroad for more of what you learn outside the classroom which is what I am most concerned about. Just to clarify, and I am still open to any helpful comments as my mind is still jumping from one possible destination to another.
For the Berkeley/SF feel it is definitely more Sydney in feel, environment and metropolitan and suburban lifestyle (as a previous poster said neither SF nor Berkeley or particularly beachy but they are close to numerous outdoor type activities). The Marin headland is particularly like going to a National Park around Sydney.

As to quality of education it really depends on your major. If your going to Rutgers your not going to be particularly concerned with reputation (out of the 3 offered there is definitely a tiering of 1. Melbourne, 2. Queensland and 3. Macquarie). Macquarie is not particularly close to transport (its very suburban) other than buses which can be a pain if you want to go anywhere other than Epping or into the City. Campus life is very different, if you are in a bar culture you could be very happy at any of the 3 as there are bars in and around any Australian University (even on campus).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand