U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,152 times

Advertisements

Hi all I want to study abroad in the spring of this year (my junior year). I am a communication/english double major at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I know a very limited amount about the locations the schools are in and the culture which surrounds them so if anyone could provide some input/knowledge that would help greatly! There are three Universities to choose from for study abroad Australia through Rutgers: University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, and Macquarie University. I want a location where there are many things to do that are accessible within walking distance or by public transportation (I will not have a car). I would like to know about the quality of the various universities, about the location they are in, the climate of the locations, the friendless of the people, the activities of the location, what there is around to see/do, and how expensive is life in the various locations. I am looking for a location where I will get a feel of the city, be near fantastic beaches, be able to have "chill fun" aka listening to music in a bar (I'm not very rustic), meet some Australian students. I want a university with a UC Berkley or San Francisco feel, metropolitan yet beach - y. I only get to study abroad once in my college career so I want to make sure I get it right and have a blast. Our study abroad office sucks so again thank you for the help. Thanks!

Just to clarify, the universities listed above are the only universities I am considering as these are the available programs which Rutgers Study Abroad offers: studyabroad.rutgers.edu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM

9,100 posts, read 12,592,087 times
have you searched the Australian forums? There are already several threads on people wanting advise on where to study in Oz...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=14395863

Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrachel88 View Post
Hi all I want to study abroad in the spring of this year (my junior year). I am a communication/english double major at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I know a very limited amount about the locations the schools are in and the culture which surrounds them so if anyone could provide some input/knowledge that would help greatly! There are three Universities to choose from for study abroad Australia through Rutgers: University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, and Macquarie University. I want a location where there are many things to do that are accessible within walking distance or by public transportation (I will not have a car). I would like to know about the quality of the various universities, about the location they are in, the climate of the locations, the friendless of the people, the activities of the location, what there is around to see/do, and how expensive is life in the various locations. I am looking for a location where I will get a feel of the city, be near fantastic beaches, be able to have "chill fun" aka listening to music in a bar (I'm not very rustic), meet some Australian students. I want a university with a UC Berkley or San Francisco feel, metropolitan yet beach - y. I only get to study abroad once in my college career so I want to make sure I get it right and have a blast. Our study abroad office sucks so again thank you for the help. Thanks!

Just to clarify, the universities listed above are the only universities I am considering as these are the available programs which Rutgers Study Abroad offers: studyabroad.rutgers.edu/
Jeez you don't want a lot! My advice from my experience is focus on your education and save the party time for a year overseas experience after uni is over with.

I don't think you'll find any universities like Berkeley down under, especially not those three schools.

Probably one thing that should be explained, having dealt personally with hundreds of aussie and kiwi uni students in recent years, is that the American culture of mommy and daddy sending you off to a ultra liberal ultra expensive university far away from home in some exotic location or picture perfect town doesn't really exist in Australia.

Basically in Australia, uni students go to whatever local university is nearby and things like dorms or endless sorority houses don't really exist in any significant quantity. Most australian students I know lived at home while going to school.

I have known a few American students that studied over in Australia and yes it was an expensive proposition. Tuition for international students is high and then once you take in account your travel and accommodation expenses plus daily living expenses, it is a staggering sum for a 20 year old. As I said before you are better off getting the one year working holiday visa after uni and going to Australia then and working your way around the country.

Probably the best thing you could do is look those universities up on line and then start learning about Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM

38 posts, read 164,083 times
melb uni is the most reputable out of those three, followed by UQ, but all three are good.

If you want good beaches don't come to Melbourne unless you are willing to travel a good two hours down the Greaet Ocean Road and even then, the beaches are no comparison to beaches in Sydney and the Gold Coast.

All three cities have an extensive public transport system of buses and trains (Melbourne has trams too but these are pretty pointless) and all universities are located very close to the urban centres.

With regard to climate, I'm not sure if you meant Australia's spring or US spring (which is our autumn), but the climate in Melbourne tends to be quite nice from September to November, as is Brisbane's (not sure about Sydney's but it's probably very similar).

Friendliness of people.. well.. like all big cities, you can't say everyone is friendly. You are bound to find a few jackasses wherever you go, but I'd say Brisbane is the friendliest, but especially Queenslanders if you find yourself traveling out of Brisbane. Sydneysiders and Melbournians can be quite snobby or aggressive.

What to do? If you're in Melbourne in September you can probably land yourself some AFL Finals tickets which is an awesome experience and tickets are pretty cheap and easy to get if you're going to a Quarter or Semi Final. AFL is a big part of Melbourne and if you are here in September then it is all you will hear about. On the flipside, in Sydney and Brisbane all you will hear about is the Rugby finals. Other stuff to do, it really depends on what you're interested in. Check each city's website.

Finally, like wanneroo said, most Aussie students live at home and since I am in that position, I can't really comment on 'college life' in Australia. Most the Aussies who stay on campus are from rural areas, but I'd say you'd find yourself amongst a lot of other international students.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Wondering if the OP has gotten their answers?

I was thinking of which of the UNI's have a Berkeley/SF beachy metropolitan feel; I went to Berkeley and was confused.. there are no beaches at Berkeley nor does it have a beachy feel. Berkeley does have a metropolitan feel. So not 100% sure what is meant by this combination.

However,

Having been to Melbourne Uni,I can tell you it's not beachy, its metropolitan. You can take the tram to St Kilda but that isn't one of the most beautiful beaches in Oz by any means.

Macquarie is not beachy either and you need to take public transport to get to the beach.

Have not been to UQ so won't comment; perhaps this is the sole choice for beachy and metropolitan and I am sure someone that went to UQ is best to answer this question.

Rankings MEL is ranked the highest but if one is only going for a semester.. should not be an issue.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,520,101 times
Sydney or Gold Coast (Bond or Griffith)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM

did you get the answers you were seeking?

Quote:

Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
University of Queensland definitely.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,152 times
I absolutely want to study abroad spring of 2010, but now I am very torn. It seems to me most Australians are suggesting I study elsewhere. I am open to Europe. Is the general consensus that I will get more out of studying elsewhere?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 AM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
Quote:
I absolutely want to study abroad spring of 2010, but now I am very torn. It seems to me most Australians are suggesting I study elsewhere. I am open to Europe. Is the general consensus that I will get more out of studying elsewhere?
Only you know yourself so you'll have to make that decision. Sounds like you are looking to party more than get educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand