Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Sounds like Invercargill may be just right for you then, when are you moving there?

I do miss the Jet Master log fire we used to have in New Zealand, very cozy. However, I don't miss wiping the condensation off the windows in the winter, washing the mold off the walls or wearing a hat to bed.
Read my post properly. I said I will move there in a few years time.
Condensation and mould is a big problem here too. Have to scrub the walls every six months which is a real pain!. I moved a bookcase recently and was horrified to see huge patches of mould. Sydney is really bad for mould. Never had this in Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Auckland is the biggest city in NZ so that is not surprising and, experiencing a population boom too with fewer Kiwis moving across the Tasman recently. Auckland is like Sydney, Wellington Melbourne and Christchurch Adelaide.
My mate bought a apartment in the city (wise decision) and it is the best investment in her entire life. She was never able to buy one here - due to the high prices - hence her moving across the Tasman.
Prices would be lower in the South Island (apart from Christchurch) and given that Australia is expected to be more hotter and drier in the future with severe water shortages, there will be an increase of Australians moving there.
Your original statement was that NZ real estate prices are cheap by Australian standards, the evidence says they are not. Why don't you just move to Hobart or Launceston if you don't like the heat and high house prices?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-18-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:
Read my post properly. I said I will move there in a few years time.
Condensation and mould is a big problem here too. Have to scrub the walls every six months which is a real pain!. I moved a bookcase recently and was horrified to see huge patches of mould. Sydney is really bad for mould. Never had this in Melbourne.
Being an expert on mold eradication will stand you in good stead.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't live there either, it's a fantastic city though and great for shopping or a weekend break. It's got a definite vibe.

Queensland could do with borrowing some of Sydney's transport infrastructure though. My journey to uni from Caboolture could be a lot faster and more comfortable than it is, but I'm grateful that there is a train service I can catch, with an occasional fast train which really makes my day. And the other passengers definitely make for an interesting journey some days!
True, I would rather live in Brisbane and fly down to Sydney every weekend, though that is a bit hard when you are staying at home looking after an 8 month old.

Nearly all the trains in the Brisbane City Council area run on maximum 15 minute intervals these days, so things are getting a bit better for us in the city.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times
[quote=koyaanisqatsi1;35296029]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Th
My mate bought a apartment in the city (wise decision) and it is the best investment in her entire life. She was never able to buy one here - due to the high prices - hence her moving across the Tasman.
Prices would be lower in the South Island (apart from Christchurch) and given that Australia is expected to be more hotter and drier in the future with severe water shortages, there will be an increase of Australians moving there.

There is certainly some evidence to suggest NZ will be "less" effected by climate change over Australia in the coming decades, but it will still feel significant effects, well actually both countries are feeling effects now.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-re...-chapter11.pdf

There is some support to suggest NZ will see climate refugee's crossing the ditch in the future, on the up side it would lower Aussie house prices :P

Ireland a lifeboat for humanity

The Disaffected Lib: New Zealand - Australia's Climate Change Lifeboat

Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Please could you provide specific details, I presume you're referring to anthropogenic global warming? how are those factors not going to affect New Zealand also, which also has periods of drought?

Australia has the infrastructure in place and long term water resource planning to cope with water shortages and rising demand (dams, desalination plants, potable water reuse/Western Corridor etc.). What provision is New Zealand making for future water shortages?

Dry pastures push farms towards another drought | Stuff.co.nz
Drought working its way down New Zealand - National - NZ Herald News

I doubt that Australians will be moving there for that reason?
Well, if you look at the rainfall maps, SE Australia - where the majority of the population lives - rainfall is decreasing which is something I do not like at all. Australia is unreliable in terms of rainfall and NZ more reliable hence I (and many others) wanting to move there.
Australia is getting warmer and drier with droughts and heatwaves occurring frequently - more so than NZ - in 100 years time, there will not be enough rain/water to sustain Australia's population.
Re water infrastructure - can you explain to me why WA's dam levels have dropped a lot over the past few years and yet have to reach 100% and why winter rainfall have declined?
If you bothered to read my post properly, you would see I am referring to the South Island (W and S) which have experienced dry spells at times but not for long (five weeks at the most) although there were some years (1937-1938, 1943 and 1947) when rainfall was unusually well below average. Another such spell occurred in the early 90s. RWood can provide more information on this.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
I do miss the Jet Master log fire we used to have in New Zealand, very cozy. However, I don't miss wiping the condensation off the windows in the winter, washing the mold off the walls or wearing a hat to bed.
Why did you put a with a house like that?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Your original statement was that NZ real estate prices are cheap by Australian standards, the evidence says they are not. Why don't you just move to Hobart or Launceston if you don't like the heat and high house prices?
Unless you live in NZ, I am not inclined to believe Australia media (trying to up-play our very dismal performance at the world soccer cup) at all.
NZ estate prices is cheap compared to here but you don't want a bar of it - fair enough. We, Aussies, cannot bear it if another country, especially NZ, beats us. We are pretty sore losers.
NZ is still cheap for buying houses no matter how you (and others) twist it.
You need to get the anti NZ chip off your shoulder mate!
And no, I do not want to live in Tassie due to its ever-decreasing, and increasing temps, rainfall. NZ all the way for me

Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Unless you live in NZ, I am not inclined to believe Australia media (trying to up-play our very dismal performance at the world soccer cup) at all.
NZ estate prices is cheap compared to here but you don't want a bar of it - fair enough. We, Aussies, cannot bear it if another country, especially NZ, beats us. We are pretty sore losers.
NZ is still cheap for buying houses no matter how you (and others) twist it.
You need to get the anti NZ chip off your shoulder mate!
And no, I do not want to live in Tassie due to its ever-decreasing, and increasing temps, rainfall. NZ all the way for me
How does a debate about housing prices make me anti New Zealand? Of course I wish prices in OZ were lower, its a sad economic fact not a competition.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why did you put a with a house like that?
I didn't, that's one of the many reasons why we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand