U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 PM

9,331 posts, read 19,151,238 times

Advertisements

why do people think oz is continual summer?

and coldcanadian,.. WHEN are you FINALLY making your FIRST voyage to Oz? Im gonna keep asking you as I want you to send us a pic of you in front of the Opera House as proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,217,332 times
[quote=minibrings;10149783]why do people think oz is continual summer?
quote]

Cos it is! I don't know that anyone actually thinks that. 'Specially if they know any Tasmaniacs. Mind you, the way Aust gets presented, you can't blame our o.s buddies for thinking it's all sun and no sh*t.
But a lot of people here think the same about So.Cal weather..eternal sunshiney sunnyness. Even we were shocked when it had the temerity to RAIN one day while we were there.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 AM

[quote=jacq63;10152282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
why do people think oz is continual summer?
quote]

Cos it is! I don't know that anyone actually thinks that. 'Specially if they know any Tasmaniacs. Mind you, the way Aust gets presented, you can't blame our o.s buddies for thinking it's all sun and no sh*t.
But a lot of people here think the same about So.Cal weather..eternal sunshiney sunnyness. Even we were shocked when it had the temerity to RAIN one day while we were there.
wait until 'winter' with no insulation and no central heat... brrrrrrr

Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,561,368 times
[quote=minibrings;10156630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Tell me about it. I bought a neat little gadget the other day at Bunnings. A thermometer with a remote unit you put outside. It tells you the temperature inside and outside. This morning at 11am it was 22 outside, barely 19 inside. And never got beyond 19.3. It was only 10 this morning when I first got up! Inside.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM

656 posts, read 2,393,852 times
Newport beach

Its hard for us to recommend something in OZ with the 'Newport feel' without us ever been there
All I can gather is Newport is a smallish beach suburb on
the southern edge of the huge Los angeles/OC metropolis ???

Anyway here is my 2 cents

I would think you would won't to check out both Sydney and Brisbane when you come visit

Check out Sydney's famous inner city beach suburbs like Manly first(Ferries go to the city).
Then all the outer beach suburbs like say Cronulla last

Then I would then go onto Brisbane
Go check out the southern regions. Gold Coast
and further south like the smaller suburb of Tweed heads
Also visit north of Brisbane the Sunshine coast. Start at Caloundra
and work your way up to say Noosa heads

I think you will find one of these beach communities will fit your style. Plus they are all close to larger cities so you will find plenty of Car clubs and so forth. Oh and don't forget we do drive on the wrong side of the road down here. Hope this all helps

Manly

Cronulla

Gold Coast

Tweed heads

Caloundra

Noosa

Old 08-07-2009, 06:14 PM

I think Manly is pretty comparable to Newport, and probably more pleasant in the Aust summer than Qld, which will be a lot more muggy. Sydney does get pretty hoooomid in summer, but the seabreezes around Manly may keep it bearable. Manly however, does not have anything comparable to say, Fashion Island, so if that kinda thing is important (just for convenience sake), you might be better off at Cronulla. However I feel culturally that Cronulla might be lacking. We just don't seem to have a 'self-contained' spot with 'everything' here. You get some things in one place, a few things somewhere else....it's quite backward in many respects compared to Newport. I remember wishing there was somewhere like that in Sydney when I was there. (I think I just wanted more Americans around me in Syd, to be honest).

Old 08-07-2009, 06:16 PM

[quote=minibrings;10156630]
Quote:
Dont forget young man, I'm experiencing that right this minute. Oh wait, it is supposed to get to about 24C here in Bellbrook today. After a night of 4C I think we've earned it.

(Bellbrook is a 6 hour drive north of Sydney, and a bit inland. Much colder at night, generally more pleasant during the day. And scorching in summer)

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Why does that quote appear to be mine?? It was mini, honest!! Now it looks as if I'm typing to myself..jeeez. mini, help!!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,952,455 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Dont forget young man, I'm experiencing that right this minute. Oh wait, it is supposed to get to about 24C here in Bellbrook today. After a night of 4C I think we've earned it.

(Bellbrook is a 6 hour drive north of Sydney, and a bit inland. Much colder at night, generally more pleasant during the day. And scorching in summer)
I did the honors or should I say honours? for you!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
I did the honors or should I say honours? for you!
what a good neighbor you are.. and literally you are being in the nxt state over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand