U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 PM
 
9,331 posts, read 19,149,509 times
Reputation: 4403

Advertisements

no no no no no coldy.. not acceptable.. you OWE yourself a trip to Oz.. even for vacation... so DO IT!!! i can tell if you are photoshopping..

speaking of tamworth, i just drove through tamworth (new hampshire) on my way back from hiking mount washington.. amazing mountains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^
I've seen the stats from BOM...
I would not want to spend the winter (Dry) even in Katherine, NT completely without heating and/or insulation;
overnight lows from 6-10 C seem to be common, probably has dropped somewhere between 3-5 C at least once this winter up there.
Only in the mildest coastal areas of far northern Australia would I be okay "roughing it" at night, all winter long.

I'm pretty decent at photoshopping. What one of those?
I'm not that into "big cities" per say, however if there are interesting comedy shows being filmed in Sydney I might like to stop by. (Australian equivalents of SNL, or "Just For Laughs"?) Unless there's something that catches my eye, I'll probably visit other parts of Oz. Places that I think might interest me in NSW are the "Mid-North/North Coast" (Taree to NSW/QLD border), Tamworth and Bourke so far.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,595 posts, read 23,160,983 times
Reputation: 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
no no no no no coldy.. not acceptable.. you OWE yourself a trip to Oz.. even for vacation... so DO IT!!! i can tell if you are photoshopping..

speaking of tamworth, i just drove through tamworth (new hampshire) on my way back from hiking mount washington.. amazing mountains...
Maybe I do...

The one I was thinking of is Australia's country-music capitol. (sp?)
Mount Washington?
How high up did you go?
I've never been but I heard about it; very freaky in the winter time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Way up north :-)
3,031 posts, read 5,216,921 times
Reputation: 2905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
*Anchor to a tree? Is the river dangerous to float down?
(sounds like "tubing", only I usually float several kilometers)
Not really, it's only a creek, but if we floated down we'd be going past some neighbors we'd rather avoid, is all. Plus, it'd take us away from the liquid refreshments. I've heard about tubing along the narrower parts of the Mississippi, where they tie about 20 tubes together and off they go! Unfortunately our little creek is way too narrow for that.
I hope the OP doesnt get put off by all this sounding a bit like 'Deliverance'..its not really that bad..why, just this morning we were on the porch staring at some kayakkers...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,560,630 times
Reputation: 17727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Not really, it's only a creek, but if we floated down we'd be going past some neighbors we'd rather avoid, is all. Plus, it'd take us away from the liquid refreshments. I've heard about tubing along the narrower parts of the Mississippi, where they tie about 20 tubes together and off they go! Unfortunately our little creek is way too narrow for that.
I hope the OP doesnt get put off by all this sounding a bit like 'Deliverance'..its not really that bad..why, just this morning we were on the porch staring at some kayakkers...
Was there banjo music, perchance?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,595 posts, read 23,160,983 times
Reputation: 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Not really, it's only a creek, but if we floated down we'd be going past some neighbors we'd rather avoid, is all. Plus, it'd take us away from the liquid refreshments. I've heard about tubing along the narrower parts of the Mississippi, where they tie about 20 tubes together and off they go! Unfortunately our little creek is way too narrow for that.
I hope the OP doesnt get put off by all this sounding a bit like 'Deliverance'..its not really that bad..why, just this morning we were on the porch staring at some kayakkers...
Some people I've tubed with have had a separate dingy for the "refreshments."

I was about to say, I'd like to learn banjo and you place sounds like an ideal place to learn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 PM
 
9,331 posts, read 19,149,509 times
Reputation: 4403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Maybe I do...

The one I was thinking of is Australia's country-music capitol. (sp?)
Mount Washington?
How high up did you go?
I've never been but I heard about it; very freaky in the winter time.
yes Tamworth NSW is the country music capital of Oz..
And I was on top of Mount Washington.. all the way, the highest point in the NE US
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 AM
 
103 posts, read 301,744 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinOMovin View Post
ya we're wimps. Costal california winters are too cold. I like being able to put on a suit and go for a swim and you just can't do that during winter. In the past we have gone to florida but I have tired of that which is why we are looking abroad. It would be just for the summer months in AU then back to california for the summer months here.

carnarvon looks nice but with not enough of a population to provide with lots of things happening....I think we need to be around more people.

pictonite: what do you mean by glitz. Newport definately isn't glitzy and has a true beachtown feel but there is plenty of flash, which I personally like (being a car nut). I like the upscale beachtown feel.
You'll have to go to far north queensland for the perpetual summer. Cairns is probably the hub, though there are many smaller places that offer great things too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 AM
 
7 posts, read 3,380 times
Reputation: 14
Default I need help in The U.S.

Can anyone help me, PLEASE? I am wondering what U.S. beach cities, not in California, are most like Newport Beach, California (climate, atmosphere, culinary diversity, beach cruisers common mode of transportation, friendly, everything nearby)?
Also, beach cities, not in California, that are similar to Monterey, California (mainly ecological environment, sightseeing, size, scenery and social atmosphere)?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 AM
 
Location: NSW
2,599 posts, read 1,750,771 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro.angelita View Post
Can anyone help me, PLEASE? I am wondering what U.S. beach cities, not in California, are most like Newport Beach, California (climate, atmosphere, culinary diversity, beach cruisers common mode of transportation, friendly, everything nearby)?
Also, beach cities, not in California, that are similar to Monterey, California (mainly ecological environment, sightseeing, size, scenery and social atmosphere)?
California forum and other US states might be your best bet.
Not many here would be able to help you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:47 PM
 
1 posts
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictonite View Post
Hmm I was first thinking Gold Coast but that might be too much glitz??

Then I thought about Some of Sydney's northern beach communities which are regarded as upper class...

lol....

Maybe even Newport?
[url=http://www.whereis.com/nsw/newport?id=91D6DB4375C446]Map of Newport, NSW | whereis.com[/url]
Idk what you mean by "glitz", but gold coast has tall buildings and apartments by the ocean, but newport beach has beach houses. There's also a 1000+ ft high tower visible from beach in gc. If u don't care about the buildings in the area u should be fine.

And newport in sydney is a lot different than newport beach, might need some time to get used to it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top