U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,627 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (upper 20's) currently live in newport beach CA and simply love the lifestyle. We are seconds from the beach and walk or hop on the beach cruisers for most of our daily activities on the penninsula. I also belong to a car club and enjoy the wide variety of cars/clubs and general enthusiasts in the area. Most important to us about newport however, is though it's a wealthy community we're not surrounded by retiree's. We've lived too many places that though very very nice we couldn't make friends. There was simply no one our age. We have many friends our age in Newport and must find a place is AU that has the same promise. I simply cannot live somewhere regardless of beauty if there are no younger residents nearby other than tourists.

I have an unconvential job that allows me flexibility to perfrom it from anywhere. What we don't like about newport is the cold months. So we're thinking about living in perpetual summer by finding a nice upperscale beach community with some of the same looks and feel if possible to dissapear to in the cold months.

I'm open to any suggestions about places in au and would love to hear what anyone has to say. We'd like to get as close to the newport feel as possible. We may take a trip there in a month or so to check some places out and possibly secure something for the coming winter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
Hmm I was first thinking Gold Coast but that might be too much glitz??

Then I thought about Some of Sydney's northern beach communities which are regarded as upper class...

lol....

Maybe even Newport?
Map of Newport, NSW | whereis.com

Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinOMovin View Post
I have an unconvential job that allows me flexibility to perfrom it from anywhere. What we don't like about newport is the cold months. So we're thinking about living in perpetual summer by finding a nice upperscale beach community with some of the same looks and feel if possible to dissapear to in the cold months.
What do you consider uncomfortable, as far as cold?
The Sydney area winters look comparable, if not slightly-colder than coastal southern California.
(and typical Australian homes are not as well insulated, so it could feel even colder )
*Unless of course you meant to live in Australia only during Californian winter, then no problem.

I have no idea about if there are many young residents or not,
but "Carnarvon" in northwestern Western Australia might be worth looking into.
Its got nice coral reefs nearby for snorkelling/driving, places you can windsurf or doing regular surfing and probably a lot of other recreational activities. Northwestern Australia tends to get very hot in summer, but Carnarvon has surprisingly-mild summers from being near the coast, where it's average hottest months are maybe 91 F (32.5 C) and overnight lows about 72-74 F (22-23 C), while winter is also very mild with the coolest month having 72 F days and 52 F nights. It's in a desert climate so I'd suspect that the humidity levels wouldn't be ridiculous (though the sea temps around Carnarvon are quite warm year-round ), plus it's probably breezey/windy much of the year anyways. Even though it's "desert", I've seen plenty of coconut palms growing there in pictures from around town, there are banana plantations, and it seems there's quite a bit of upscale housing.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 08-05-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 10,627 times
ya we're wimps. Costal california winters are too cold. I like being able to put on a suit and go for a swim and you just can't do that during winter. In the past we have gone to florida but I have tired of that which is why we are looking abroad. It would be just for the summer months in AU then back to california for the summer months here.

carnarvon looks nice but with not enough of a population to provide with lots of things happening....I think we need to be around more people.

pictonite: what do you mean by glitz. Newport definately isn't glitzy and has a true beachtown feel but there is plenty of flash, which I personally like (being a car nut). I like the upscale beachtown feel.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinOMovin View Post
carnarvon looks nice but with not enough of a population to provide with lots of things happening....I think we need to be around more people.
If you are only looking for a place to live during California's winter, Geraldton WA might be nice.
On average it's 67 F in winter (which you won't be there for) and the hottest summer months also in the low 90's F,
but with avg. lows around 68-70 F. Lots of cool things to see and do (islands, Kalbarri national park, still plenty of surfing/diving)
Ocean temps in summer should still be slightly warmer than southern Calfornia's (73-75 F?) And a population of about 40,000... ten times the size of Carnarvon, WA?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
Yeah but a lot of those small towns in WA, CC, will be nothing like Newport. Good weather but the atmosphere of those places would be totally different. I've read this thread and can't for the life of me think of a place that would come even close. It's always difficult to compare US and Oz cities. It's a totally different world here, especially different from places like Newport. Sydney would be the closest, imo. And Noosa, Qld.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,224,092 times
probably Manly

Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,175,836 times
Actually, what about Broome? I know it's physically isolated, but it's no longer a wild, frontier place (more's the pity, IMHO). Fantastic climate, no doubt hideously expensive (possibly comparable to Newport??), and has a bit going on. If I could spend the Aust winter there..oh maaan. I'd look into it. If you decide to move there, can we come stay?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Just D.M'd you Thinkin. Cairns might be a good one.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Oops. Brain safety catch not engaged. Mouth shot off. You wanna be here in the Aust summer. Duh. Those northern places will be way too hot and muggy. What about Melbourne? You may get 4 seasons in one day occasionally, but they do have nice summers. Great city also. Easy drive out to wine regions and various outdoor pursuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand